Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got a 2017 CCSB Z71 4x4. Cajun Red.
I've added a Tekonsha P3 brake controller and a roll-up tonneau cover.
I upgraded from a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 for a little extra towing capability and was looking for more gears. I wanted an 8-speed.
I drag a Jayco Kiwi travel trailer camper around in the summer and swap that for a couple Arctic Cat sleds in the winter.
I loved my Jeep GC but thought it was time to go back to something I could haul dirty things in the back and not worry about destroying the interior of my ride. Things like planting soil, bags of mulch, occasional lumber for some little house project ...

My question and it might be easy. I have the 8" screen and would like to use it as a map. Not turn by turn directions, just a GPS map. is that possible without having to connect any phones to it? I swear I saw that screen when I was test driving it but can't seem to find it now.

Attached is a picture of the day I picked her up from the dealer.

Thanks.
Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
OK, how do I get that? When I press my navigation button, I just get a screen that says "No active routes" contact On-Star to set a destination.
I don't want to set a destination, just have a map of whats around me.
Does this mean my truck doesn't have the Nav package or something?

Sorry for the dumb question.
Thanks.

·
Registered
487 Posts
You may not have the navigation option. The 8” came in both types. As it’s all onstar connected, onstar can load destinations to your vehicle, as apart of one of their purchased packages.

For me, as I have the Nav version, when I tap the Nav icon on the home screen it just loads up a map of my surroundings. No need to enter a destination.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
OK, how do I get that? When I press my navigation button, I just get a screen that says "No active routes" contact On-Star to set a destination.
I don't want to set a destination, just have a map of whats around me.
Does this mean my truck doesn't have the Nav package or something?

Sorry for the dumb question.
Thanks.
You have nav so I would guess it's a setup issue. Read the owner manual would be the first thing. You do not need to pay for any of the services to have the Navigation mapping and I think you get destination for 5 years.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Onstar navigation and factory navigation are two different things, just to be clear. To verify, you are hitting the nav button, not the onstar button, right?

It's not a dumb question to try to learn a new vehicle. They are, after all, getting more and more complicated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, so I stopped by the dealer this afternoon and found some more information. Apparently my truck does not have the navigation package.

If you look at your build options sticker in the glove box:
IO5 = Audio system, Chevrolet MyLink Radio with 8" diagonal color touch-screen, AM/FM stereo with seek-and-scan and digital clock
IO6 = Audio system, Chevrolet MyLink Radio with Navigation and 8" diagonal color touch-screen, AM/FM stereo with seek-and-scan and digital clock

Apparently I have the IO5 option which is the standard radio in the Z71. The IO6 is an option/upgrade.

Another way to tell is that my green Navigation button says "OnStar Nav" while the other one says "Nav"

Cool, I learned something.
Looks like I'll be using the Android Auto option.

Thanks for the help guys.

PS. If you have a Motorola Droid Turbo phone, you need to enable "USB debug" in order for the radio to see the device ... and also the right cable.

·
Registered
628 Posts
From one Cajun Red owner to another - Welcome

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.