Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum, I really needed some advice and figured this was the place to go. I started landscaping this year and this opportuniy was kinda dropped on my lap and Ive been using my only truck my 2016 colorado for towing(7x12 enclosed 3000lb, trailer weighs 2000 and im loading a sitdown exmark approx 900 lbs). I've noticed a clunking/crunching noise (when driving slowly over bumps and turning) and squeaking when braking from 40 down, when I press the brakes hard it stops, there is 15,000 on the truck I've had it 6 months bought it new(this happens towing or not but worse crunching when towing). Took it to the dealer but they say they cant hear anything squeaking and clunking is probably my running boards and they'd have to charge me to check (very frustrating!). I want to put heavy duty springs on it and just make it abit tougher than it is right now overall. How do I go about this im a complete noob to modding a truck, i did change the rims and tires from stock and put on running boards.

1. Is the dealer BSing me?

2. What is a good option to make my colorado more heavy duty for towing and hauling without trading in for a bigger truck (i love my colorado too much)?

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I would take the dealer for a ride so you can point out the noise to them.

Heavier springs won't really make anything heavier duty. It would only help if you're rear end is really sagging with the trailer on. In which case you are either overloading it, or need to adjust the load balance on the trailer. The truck should hold its specified tongue weight just fine with stock springs.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
Clunking noises occur without the trailer, at low speeds. Put somebody in bed of truck (maybe yourself) and drive in a parking lot with speed bumps slowly and see if you can identify a location for noise.

I think you are fine for the tow capacity and unless you are seeing some serious sag from tongue weight, you are well within a good tow range for this trailer/truck combo.

- Does trailer have brakes, if not, it would be a good idea, but not easily added.

- If you are seeing serious sag, then either your load is too far forward giving you too much tongue weight, or worse, all of your numbers are off and the loaded trailer is much heavier than you have estimated. Most tongue weight you should ever see from a 3K loaded trailer is maybe 600 pounds, more likely 300-450 pounds.That shouldn't be an issue for our trucks, unless you have 600 pounds of stuff in the bed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would take the dealer for a ride so you can point out the noise to them.

Heavier springs won't really make anything heavier duty. It would only help if you're rear end is really sagging with the trailer on. In which case you are either overloading it, or need to adjust the load balance on the trailer. The truck should hold its specified tongue weight just fine with stock springs.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Clunking noises occur without the trailer, at low speeds. Put somebody in bed of truck (maybe yourself) and drive in a parking lot with speed bumps slowly and see if you can identify a location for noise.

I think you are fine for the tow capacity and unless you are seeing some serious sag from tongue weight, you are well within a good tow range for this trailer/truck combo.

- Does trailer have brakes, if not, it would be a good idea, but not easily added.

- If you are seeing serious sag, then either your load is too far forward giving you too much tongue weight, or worse, all of your numbers are off and the loaded trailer is much heavier than you have estimated. Most tongue weight you should ever see from a 3K loaded trailer is maybe 600 pounds, more likely 300-450 pounds.That shouldn't be an issue for our trucks, unless you have 600 pounds of stuff in the bed.
So I don't have any serious sag no. I guess I will try to load the trailer differently.

As for trailer brakes, yes new ones and I just wired in the controller and it is helping a lot. Good idea to make them come for a ride, the service manager didn't seem in the mood to deal with me that day but he has been good in the past.

You think it's safe to assume that the running boards aren't causing this much noise (it's constant)? I don't want to have to take them off and back on and I believe it was doing this way before I put them on and the noise has gotten worse. I'll have somebody drive my truck and I'll ride in the back today to try to locate, thanks for both responses

·
Registered
344 Posts
If the noise issue is only happening when towing it's your trailer not your truck. I'd check your truck brakes if you've been stopping the trailer a lot with no trailer brakes, that's hard on your pads and can warp the rotors from heat since I'm guessing it's a lot of city driving for a landscape business. You really don't need anything for the weight. If it's not driving right when a trailer is attached then you likely have a tongue weight issue and not a truck issue. If you really really wanted to you could put air bags on and an onboard compressor so you could stiffen/soften at will. That will be a better ride than a helper spring or Timbren setup.

If it's your running board you should be able to grab it and shake the crap out of it. If it rattles it's the problem. Now you owe me a $145 telework diagnostic fee.

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
... Now you owe me a $145 telework diagnostic fee.
Dang, can I bill for all the times I told someone to read the dang manual?

If you got a buddy with a truck with trailer brake controller, let them tow trailer and see if you hear the same noise as well. Helps to eliminate the truck versus trailer argument.

FYI, my hitch ball and tongue squeak big time some days. I have tried some lubricant, trying to avoid any really good grease so I don't have to worry about getting it on my clothes or hands.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.