Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi folks - I have a 2016 Colorado Base 4cyl 6spd. Bought new 8/2016. I'm within the years for warranty but out of the 36k miles by 3k miles.
Already had to have the radiator replaced as it was leaking at 25k miles. Vent's were billowing smoke this morning without the blower on. Took a video. Dealer said it was condensation, asked to have them keep looking - here's the videos I took. Got someone on my side there and they found coolant leaking and the heater core needs to be replaced. Looking at 12.5hrs of labor, $1,900.
Anyone had success going back to GM with something like this or SOL being 3k over the warranty miles. Mostly looking at who/if anyone I can jump this up to.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yep, already had my heater core replaced at 15K miles. Started with windows fogging really easy with no explanation until I touched the carpet on the passenger side. The dealer said it was a nightmare because all of the dash has to come out of the vehicle. Still didn't fix the extreme cold or heat coming out of the vents. I have to manually over control the temp to get it to moderate the air temp. As far as temp and air conditioning controls, I wouldn't buy another Chevy. All I have gotten is excuses that there hasn't been a software update for it yet and now going on 18 months.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Anyone had success going back to GM with something like this or SOL being 3k over the warranty miles. Mostly looking at who/if anyone I can jump this up to.
Heater cores on the majority of cars suck to replace and they can fail on any make/model. As for getting the replaced under warranty, it's going to be tough unless you complained (and it's on record with GM) about the problem before the warranty expired.

I have to manually over control the temp to get it to moderate the air temp. As far as temp and air conditioning controls, I wouldn't buy another Chevy. All I have gotten is excuses that there hasn't been a software update for it yet and now going on 18 months.
This sounds like the classic blend door problem which there is a TBS for.

·
Registered
850 Posts
why do they "suck"? seems janky to make something that fails within the first year.
It's a manufactured part that can fail early or have flaws in it from manufacturing. Nothing man made is perfect.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
not to be argumentative but I understand that. however, a new purchase north of 25k should not be allowed to have that "reasoning" made for it.
more interested in why he mentioned they suck in majority of cars. i.e. - who makes it poorly, its hard to make, etc.

·
Registered
101 Posts
That smoke should smell like coolant. If the carpet is wet, the drain tube under the hood may be clogged.
If the radiator failed under warranty and then this, that calls into question the cooling system in that truck. Get the name and number for the Zone Rep for GM. BE nice. It may be hard but do it. GEt someone in service the dealership to be on your side. Shoot for them to share the cost with you. You buy parts they get the labor. KEEP ASKING FOR THE next person up the line. Nicely. Be persistent.

I got an ASTRo van replaced by GM doing just this. HAD to go all the way to Detroit central service.

Reactions: greco2003

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
why do they "suck"? seems janky to make something that fails within the first year.
I think he said they suck to replace because they generally are very hard to replace (remove most of or all of the dash to get to it) Not a fun job, and at todays labor rates, expensive too.

Reactions: bac522

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update - dealer called back saying after 10.5hrs of labor and a new core, it started leaking on the test drive. At least the "new" part is under warranty. Shop gets to keep it for another week.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My heater core started leaking at 29.5k. I took it to the dealer and they replaced it. They it was still leaking because they didn't clean out the coolant from under the carpet they say. I have been without my truck for over two week while waiting for the carpet. How has your truck ran since the replacement? I am debating trading it in on something else if it has any more issues.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.