Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the wiring of each pin on the headlight connector? I'm guessing guessing its low beam +12V, high beam +12V, Turn Signal +12V, Parking Light +12V, and ground? If that's the case anyone know how it sends the DRL signal through the low beam (reduced voltage or something)?

Need to make my own wiring harness to make the DRL1 work that I have on order

·
Registered
724 Posts
The drl's are controlled through the bcm. It'll be on the 12v+ for the low beam. You could look up the pin out on the gmupfitter website or just use a DVM to find it.

Reactions: ocelot

·
Registered
234 Posts
Does anyone know the wiring of each pin on the headlight connector? I'm guessing guessing its low beam +12V, high beam +12V, Turn Signal +12V, Parking Light +12V, and ground? If that's the case anyone know how it sends the DRL signal through the low beam (reduced voltage or something)?

Need to make my own wiring harness to make the DRL1 work that I have on order

Oddly enough I was literally just looking for answers myself regarding the DRLs. I was trying to put leds on my grille and realized that the bcm was in charge of the drl functions. Looks like you need to change some pins and wiring around if you Decide to turn them off etc. I connected my leds at the fuse box to fuse ID f50. The trailer park light 20amp....wire via piggy back fuse holder to power my leds.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok interesting. In the upfitter guide I can't find a pin out diagram for those pins though, just a wiring diagram which doesn't say which pin is which. But based on the information you've provided I'm guessing gen5 DIY harness uses a relay to interrupt the headlight signal, and uses the parking light feed to close that relay which then turns the headlights back on which is why the headlights then come on with the parking light portion of the headlight switch. I would prefer to retain my parking light functionality so I'm thinking instead of using the parking light feed to close the relay maybe I can get a feed from the headlight switch - white violet?

I'm guessing G307 is a ground so I guess this is ground activated? Does anyone know where the "K9 - Body Control Module" located? I wonder if it would be easier to tap at the BCM or the switch.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I get your making your own DRL delete harness. What confuses me is that drl1 module you bought. From what I can find, its a repeater for the side marker lights to fire when the turn signals operate. I'm having a hard time relating the two...

Reactions: ocelot

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I get your making your own DRL delete harness. What confuses me is that drl1 module you bought. From what I can find, its a repeater for the side marker lights to fire when the turn signals operate. I'm having a hard time relating the two...
Yeah basically, except from what I read of the DRL Delete harness it uses the front marker lights, and I want to use the much brighter turn signals instead. The DRL1 will make my turn signals work like on a Toyota Tacoma, Amber turn signals act as DRL and then flash for turn signal function.

Also the DRL delete harness removes the ability to turn on just marker lights, it activates the headlights in what used to be the marker light position. If I can wire it the way I think, I would retain the ability to have the marker light position work as per normal. The only thing that would be different than stock is auto-headlights wouldn’t turn on the headlights, just the marker lights.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Yeah basically, except from what I read of the DRL Delete harness it uses the front marker lights, and I want to use the much brighter turn signals instead. The DRL1 will make my turn signals work like on a Toyota Tacoma, Amber turn signals act as DRL and then flash for turn signal function.

Also the DRL delete harness removes the ability to turn on just marker lights, it activates the headlights in what used to be the marker light position. If I can wire it the way I think, I would retain the ability to have the marker light position work as per normal. The only thing that would be different than stock is auto-headlights wouldn’t turn on the headlights, just the marker lights.

If you used an Amber/Amber LED parking bulb instead of the Clear/Amber switchback bulb with the Gen5DIY Harness, then you would have the same looking front marker (DRL) lights just like the Taco, plus your auto headlamps would work as well. I know this is a personal thing but to me if I just have the park lights on and the headlamps are on as well, wouldn't bother me in the least. Plus if it's dark out then your headlamps are going to be on anyway with the park lights. JMHO

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you used an Amber/Amber LED parking bulb instead of the Clear/Amber switchback bulb with the Gen5DIY Harness, then you would have the same looking front marker (DRL) lights just like the Taco, plus your auto headlamps would work as well. I know this is a personal thing but to me if I just have the park lights on and the headlamps are on as well, wouldn't bother me in the least. Plus if it's dark out then your headlamps are going to be on anyway with the park lights. JMHO
Yeah I was considering that as well, but wouldn’t your turn signals be on full brightness like a DRL even when the headlights are on, instead of dimming down to the marker light brightness with the headlights?

·
Registered
992 Posts
Yeah I was considering that as well, but wouldn’t your turn signals be on full brightness like a DRL even when the headlights are on, instead of dimming down to the marker light brightness with the headlights?

IIRC from what I was told, when the DRL function is working the front bulb is on low power and when you operate the turn signal the front bulb goes to high then back to low, although it could be opposite. If your headlamps are on (No DRL) the bulb is at low power and goes to high when you operate the signals. That being said, I will check into this to make sure I have the correct info.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Any followup on this from anyone involved? This is exactly what I'm trying to accomplish. Modifiying a gen5DIY harness will be just as much effort as starting from scratch, so...

·
Registered
13,516 Posts
Any followup on this from anyone involved? This is exactly what I'm trying to accomplish. Modifiying a gen5DIY harness will be just as much effort as starting from scratch, so...
I used the DRL1 harness to change the DRLs from the low beams to the turn signals filament.

I used the power signal to the parking lights to power my headlamps (as previously discussed, now I can't use the parking lights only setting, changing the light control to parking lights will activate my low beams as well).

If my low beams or parking lamps are "on", then the dimmer filament in the turn signal/parking bulbs is being used, and the turn signals cycle the brighter filament. If the headlamps/parking lamps are off, then the brighter filament in the signal bulbs is used as the daytime running lights. Activating a turn signal will make the brighter filament on that side cycle. There is a wire on the DRL1 harness which can be used to turn off the running light on side opposite an active turn signal if desired, though I didn't use it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Awesome!

Interesting that you mention running the bright filament as the DRL. That's exactly what I was thinking about doing because I'm not fond of aftermarket switchbacks. How have the halogen bulbs held up to that usage? any issues with heat? short bulb life?

·
Registered
13,516 Posts
Interesting that you mention running the bright filament as the DRL. That's exactly what I was thinking about doing because I'm not fond of aftermarket switchbacks. How have the halogen bulbs held up to that usage? any issues with heat? short bulb life?
That they use the dimmer filament is the reason I didn't consider the Gen5 kit, I don't know why you would want to use the dimmer filament on during the daylight when it's brightest out.

I haven't had the bulbs in my Colorado burn out yet. I've had the DRL1 harness installed in my G8 (for the same reason) for over 6 years and finally just had to replace one of the bulbs in that a few months ago, so I don't feel like it significantly shortens bulb life.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I used the DRL1 harness to change the DRLs from the low beams to the turn signals filament....
Going to tackle this myself after retrofitting HID's into the lows. So to sum up, you basically followed this guide:

But you also swapped the incoming PARK wire and the LOW beam wire somewhere in the wiring harness?

·
Registered
13,516 Posts
Going to tackle this myself after retrofitting HID's into the lows. So to sum up, you basically followed this guide:
But you also swapped the incoming PARK wire and the LOW beam wire somewhere in the wiring harness?
Following that diagram will result in use of the "TURN" filament as the DRL whenever the IGN wire has power and the turn signals are not cycling.

The DRL1 harness will have no impact on the stock low beam DRL function. To get rid of this, I cut the stock LOW wire before it enters the headlamps. so the PWM signal originally going to the low beam now goes nowhere. I use the power signal for the parking lights to activate the relay for my HID ballasts, and then power goes from the ballast to the bulbs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Following that diagram will result in use of the "TURN" filament as the DRL whenever the IGN wire has power and the turn signals are not cycling.

The DRL1 harness will have no impact on the stock low beam DRL function. To get rid of this, I cut the stock LOW wire before it enters the headlamps. so the PWM signal originally going to the low beam now goes nowhere. I use the power signal for the parking lights to activate the relay for my HID ballasts, and then power goes from the ballast to the bulbs.
Gotcha. Thanks for the help naskie!

Edit: ah...one more question. How did you get it to switch over to using the dim filament as your DRL when your headlights are on? Is that automatically handled by the DRL-1 module?

·
Registered
13,516 Posts
Edit: ah...one more question. How did you get it to switch over to using the dim filament as your DRL when your headlights are on? Is that automatically handled by the DRL-1 module?
The DRL1 module automatically determines which filament should be in use.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts