Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am tired of my slow, glitchy, laggy OEM head unit. What have you guys swapped it out with? I like the Phoenix unit but I think I will have the same laggy issues. I am looking at the Halo9 but it's like $800 after harnesses and dash kit. Just wondering what you guys went with before I pull the trigger.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am tired of my slow, glitchy, laggy OEM head unit. What have you guys swapped it out with? I like the Phoenix unit but I think I will have the same laggy issues. I am looking at the Halo9 but it's like $800 after harnesses and dash kit. Just wondering what you guys went with before I pull the trigger.
Did you ever pull the trigger and buy the Halo9 I'm looking at that unit as well.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have the halo9. I’m trading in my truck. Screen still has plastic on it. I’ll sell it with the housing kit, video bypass and pac harness and pac backup cam adapter to retain you cam. $650

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have the halo9. I’m trading in my truck. Screen still has plastic on it. I’ll sell it with the housing kit, video bypass and pac harness and pac backup cam adapter to retain you cam. $650
im interested in this deal, what trim package did you have this in? i plan on changing the one in my z71

·
Registered
25 Posts
Do you have pics of it installed? I want to change out my head unit as well. It keeps crashing. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
Which pac unit did you get and, did you install it?

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
How do you deal with the vehicle parameters that the OEM head unit deals with?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I guess i could answer some question with what little research i have done (pretty much just go on crutchfield and add your vehicle).

if your like me and have the 8 inch with nav and bose, you can get and aftermarket but you will lose your factory usb, Nav, it would start to add up to a $1000+ install if you want something decent.
would it depreciate the value of my truck, more than likely.

I'm not sure if you would have to get an aftermarket amp and swap all the speakers though(for bose equipped)

the only reason i am a tiny bit interested is to upgrade to a head unit with android wireless capabilities, and to potentially fix my crappy fm reception (new antenna didn't fix).

the 2 options for pacs are the idatalink maestro rr and PAC's RP5-GM51 I guess the maestro is better?

backup cam BACKUPCAM-3 (i see @Toughsox review on the page that it worked for him)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes you would have to bypass the amp and replace all the speakers because of the ohm load. Radios are 4ohm and Bose are stupid. Front doors are 1ohm. Dash are 3ohm and rear doors are 3 ohm.

·
Registered
9,267 Posts
How do you deal with the vehicle parameters that the OEM head unit deals with?
Do you mean the trucks settings in there? I'm thinking get them the way you want before you change it.

Reactions: Toughsox

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
Do you mean the trucks settings in there? I'm thinking get them the way you want before you change it.
Yeah, I suppose there aren't a lot you deal with very often. And some are sort of not much use, like the AT&T Wifi, but if you did want to use it you'd be screwed.

The big one though is the back up camera. That would be hard to give up.

·
Registered
9,267 Posts
Yeah, I suppose there aren't a lot you deal with very often. And some are sort of not much use, like the AT&T Wifi, but if you did want to use it you'd be screwed.

Yes, I think there is an option to keep the camera if you get the right install kit though.

Reactions: Toughsox

·
Registered
4,710 Posts

Yes, I think there is an option to keep the camera if you get the right install kit though.
Mine was literally the first one done through Crutchfields. There was a lot of misinformation at the time because they were sending out the PAC module for the Sierra/Silverados, which tied in differently than on the Colorados. After 3-4 months, and multiple upgrades to the software from PAC, they got it right, however, to date they have STILL not identified the correct wire to tie in to for the steering wheel controls.

As for the camera, that feature was always there from PAC so there is no need to worry about losing it. It truly was plug and play.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yup camera and USB can be retained with the appropriate adapters. I only had 1 USB to retain, none in center console. There are headunits with 2 USB inputs though that would also allow retention of the console one. In regards to the settings in the factory. Yes you need to make whatever changes you want before removal. Many of the changes can be made without the radio though using a good scanner. That's how I do it if I ever need to make changes. The great thing about using the idstalink piece is that it allows you to have vehicle data on idaralink compatible stereos like tpms, obd2 codes, HVAC, etc. If the radio is not idstalink compatible you won't have that feature but everything else will work as intended like the PAC piece. As far as I'm aware there is no interface solution yet to replace the radio on 2019+ GM trucks as they changed the network type used. Solution for those on Bose equipped vehicles would be to replace everything and on models without the amp you would just have to find a 12v turn on wire.

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
As far as I'm aware there is no interface solution yet to replace the radio on 2019+ GM trucks as they changed the network type used.
Ah, I get entirely different results when I put in a 2018. On 2019 Crutchfield advises against changing out the radio--this is likely why since the installation accessories don't pop up.

Thanks!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts