Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, Truck in question here is a 2017 Colorado with ext. cab. The problem is that the head rest lean way to far forward, at least for our driving position requirements. Has anyone else found this to be a problem ?? I know they can be adjusted up and down, but it appears that there is no way to adjust it forward or backward. The manual shows no way either unless I missed it. This is really aggravating. Before I get in there and start bending things around (LOL), has anyone had an issue with this and found a solution other than looking at new seats ?? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
With normal driving, my head doesn't ever touch the headrest. Ever! Maybe my neck is bent more than I thought. :rofl

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
With normal driving, my head doesn't ever touch the headrest. Ever! Maybe my neck is bent more than I thought. :rofl
Same issue here.
I've found putting my head against the headrest quickly results in very heavy eyes, and a strong desire for a nap.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I haven't tried this yet, but I remember reading somewhere in here that a couple guys removed them and flipped them around so they faced backwards. It was more comfortable for them.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
325 Posts
My head never touches the headrest in normal driving either.

10 years ago I was rear ended by a SUV while I was sitting stopped in traffic, estimated SUV speed was 30 plus mph. Headrests were more minimal then, the collision broke the seat back and I ended up partly in the back seat. I have three damaged discs in my neck that limit range of motion, feel like gravel and remind me every day.

I'll take these head rests any day.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for some of the info. I understand the safety aspect of the headrest on all accounts. Why they are there. How they won't work if not installed correctly...etc. While I don't normally put my head against the rest either, it does become somewhat intrusive when ever we take a road trip and have to sit for a few hours. It's esp. bad for my wife because at 5'-1" tall, if she tries to keep her back firmly into the seat back then the head rest will push her head so far forward that it looks "kinky", if you take my meaning...lOL. In my 50+ years of auto ownership (and i've owned many) i've never had a head rest that is this far forward. This head rest, and no head rest for that matter needs to be this far forward to provide the protection that is needed to prevent whiplash. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to look at these seats from the side and see that the rest are way to far forward. Guess its just one of those little quirks that comes with this model. Wonder if you can buy just the head rest part of the seat by itself ?

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
The trick to this is working with the seat back. Odds are you have the rear back rest too vertical.

Work with it to recline it back a bit and you will find the head rest moves away and it will not be in the way.

While the seat back may feel odd at first you will grow use to it very quickly and it should eliminate the issue.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Take the headrests to a custom upholstery shop and have them re-shaped. We do it with motorcycle seats all the time. Remove the stock cover, carve the foam up (insert gel pads etc.) and then re-cover the seat altering the cover as needed.

GM didn't make a mistake with the headrest design. It may not be to everyone's taste, and heck, it's likely unsafe for some people too given they have to design to averages. But they didn't mess it up - it's been engineered very specifically and tested.

Like others my head doesn't hit the headrest while driving (even after 5 hours in the seat). I've always found it unnatural to try and force my head to rest on it in all the cars I've owned or driven.

What I don't like is that it doesn't lock in the lowest position - it seems to migrate up 3/4" or so and then click into place.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If the headrest is a problem for your 5’ tall wife, try raising it up higher.
Are you suggesting to raise the head rest where it is over her head ?? I think that would defeat the purpose of it. We're not trying to do away with the safety aspect of the part.....just trying to make it a little more comfortable.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Take the headrests to a custom upholstery shop and have them re-shaped. We do it with motorcycle seats all the time. Remove the stock cover, carve the foam up (insert gel pads etc.) and then re-cover the seat altering the cover as needed.

GM didn't make a mistake with the headrest design. It may not be to everyone's taste, and heck, it's likely unsafe for some people too given they have to design to averages. But they didn't mess it up - it's been engineered very specifically and tested.

Like others my head doesn't hit the headrest while driving (even after 5 hours in the seat). I've always found it unnatural to try and force my head to rest on it in all the cars I've owned or driven.

What I don't like is that it doesn't lock in the lowest position - it seems to migrate up 3/4" or so and then click into place.
Well you make the best sense so far. Having it re-done may be an option, but may just wait a while and see if we can adjust to it good enough. You are spot on with your assessment of it possibly being dangerous for some people. I could easily see someone getting what you might call....reverse whip lash cause your neck and the upper part of your torso could get jammed back in the seat so hard while your head stays out front. Well lets hope no one ever finds that out the hard way.

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
I would not worry about it being unsafe in stock form. The head rest is made to absorb the impact and generally less room to move th better it is.

Look to racing on how they have no space between the head and seat on 3 sides. Their rest also absorbe the impact too.

It may be uncomfortable but it should pose no issue to safety.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.