Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All I've read on here is terrible things about the 3.6L exhausts. I've wanted one for like 6 months but can't decide on what to get. All I want is a little deeper rumble with little to no drone at cruising speeds. I fully understand that our V6 won't ever sound like 6.2L Corvette. That's fine. I don't expect it to. MBRP, Magnaflow, and Gibson are just terrible apparently. Borla and Corsa are OK but also quite expensive. Any suggestions on other set ups? Anyone have the AFE or JBA? Anyone have a custom set up? Anyone just weld in a new muffler to the current system? I'm open to all suggestions.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I installed a Flowmaster Super 50, kept the rest of the oem pipe including the resonator. Gave the truck a nice tone when on the gas, no drone and quiet at cruse. A drop in K&N air filter and the muffler gave me a minor seat of the pants improvement, bottom end feels more responsive and it pulls hard at rpm. Total cost of $300.

Reactions: 51colt

·
Registered
99 Posts
Which system do you have and is there drone during cruising speeds? I was honestly just thinking buying a 22inch Magnaflow muffler and having it welded in place of the factory one.
I have this one

https://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=19018

There is a drone sometimes depends on the gear and rpm but I don't find it unbearable. Cruising speeds it sounds good imo with no drone.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I installed a Flowmaster Super 50, kept the rest of the oem pipe including the resonator. Gave the truck a nice tone when on the gas, no drone and quiet at cruse. A drop in K&N air filter and the muffler gave me a minor seat of the pants improvement, bottom end feels more responsive and it pulls hard at rpm. Total cost of $300.
Ya you still owe me a picture of that. I want to see what all the cut out and added? Also how the muffler sits. It's center/center from left/right of the truck but offset/offset from top to bottom. It seems like you'd need a weird shaped adapter pipe to make another muffler work.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I called magnaflow just ordered the muffler from the gm performance exhaust. Cut off the stock muffler welded the new magnaflow cut out the stupid a$$ resonator and welded a piece of pipe in its place. Gave it a nice growl on cranking nothing goofy sounding. No drone at regular speeds unless I really get on the gas. All in all pretty happy with it. Doesn't sound like a weedeater. My friend put a cheap catback system on his 2014 f150 ecoboost v6. Good grief it sounds like a chainsaw.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I called magnaflow just ordered the muffler from the gm performance exhaust. Cut off the stock muffler welded the new magnaflow cut out the stupid a$$ resonator and welded a piece of pipe in its place. Gave it a nice growl on cranking nothing goofy sounding. No drone at regular speeds unless I really get on the gas. All in all pretty happy with it. Doesn't sound like a weedeater. My friend put a cheap catback system on his 2014 f150 ecoboost v6. Good grief it sounds like a chainsaw.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Could you get a sound clip of that for startup, idle, and revving? I'd be very interested in hearing that. Also do you have a part # for the muffler?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
someone send me over a go-pro so I can get some acceleration sounds clips of my JBA system since the truck limits how much you can rev in park, and i assume neutral as well (havent tried that yet)

·
Registered
117 Posts
I got the db corsa. No drone at all while cruising. Step on it and its a good rumble. Very happy with it.

I original just put a flowmaster 40 series exhaust, keeping the resonator and stock pipes. Couldnt stand it. Money well spent on the corsa.

·
Registered
428 Posts
After changing the muffler a few times on my Gibson 3inch system ,
I think the best sound and bang for the buck is stock exhaust with a DynoMax super turbo muffler and have the factory resonator cut out .. Forget any noticeable HP gains with most all cat back systems .

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After changing the muffler a few times on my Gibson 3inch system ,
I think the best sound and bang for the buck is stock exhaust with a DynoMax super turbo muffler and have the factory resonator cut out .. Forget any noticeable HP gains with most all cat back systems .
Ya I'm just going for sound. If I get an extra 5 hp then awesome but not expecting it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I got the db corsa. No drone at all while cruising. Step on it and its a good rumble. Very happy with it. Money well spent on the corsa.
Likewise .. I researched this alot when I was looking for an exhaust system, decided to go with the CORSA despite the hefty price tag, but now after several months with it installed on my truck, I'm very happy with it and I would definitely recommend it, you won't be disappointed, it was money well spent!

·
Registered
209 Posts
There are a few youtube vids with various catbacks, mufflers, etc...sounds.
I'm thinking of the Flowmaster 50 delta flow muffler since madcratebuilder has endorsed it. But sound aside, the 3.6 has lots of balls with or without a catback. However I gotta say the Borla video on youtube sounded pretty good.
I put a Borla catback om my T100 back in 1998 and it lasted 18 years. I don't mind paying the money for a unit that has that kind of longevity.
Do your homework and find something that suits you.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Here's a link to my YouTube video of the MALLETT FULL EXHAUST system. It removes the secondary catalytic converters. They also have a cat-back version that keeps the secondary catalytic converters if you need or want them, and it's cheaper than the full system.

It adds a pretty good boost, and is still neighbor-friendly, no droning, and this might be good or bad according to your preferences, but it's not very loud at idle. No real burble or funny sounds like the Corsa or some others. You *do* get some obvious sound when your foot is smashed down and loading up the engine, as you'd expect. Otherwise, it's really nice for a daily driver. Performance and relatively quiet. Hell, watch the video. You'll see ... and hear.

Reactions: Jgigs

·
Registered
9,039 Posts
I drove one today with the Magna-flow cat back, at 70mph on flat road,could not hear it, down shifting you could or accelerating or up a hill. Not bad though, in my younger days I had louder exhaust, like Hooker Headers with Thrush mufflers right under the cab of the truck

dealer said he could put the stock back on

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I drove one today with the Magna-flow cat back, at 70mph on flat road,could not hear it, down shifting you could or accelerating or up a hill. Not bad though, in my younger days I had louder exhaust, like Hooker Headers with Thrush mufflers right under the cab of the truck

dealer said he could put the stock back on
Tell him I'll take that Magnaflow for cheap if he takes it off. I'm in KC.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.