Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like the title says, I am wondering if anyone has tried painting the already painted portions of their stock Z71 rims a different color yet? I am talking specifically about these:

I plan on keeping the rims but wondered what they would look like a different color (black for instance). Maybe I just suck at searching but I can't seem to unearth too many pics on something this specific. If you have painted the insides of these I would be interested in seeing how it came out, how painful it was to do, and what paint you used.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
Man that looks pretty sweet (yeah I'm old). Can you share a few details? What paint did you use? how long did it take to do all 4? Any tips you can share now that you are a pro?
Oh,. I did 99% of all my mods myself.....total stereo replacement (head unit, speakers, speaker wiring) front and rear bumper replacements, ZR-2 hood addition......but all the painting went to the pros. I can handle nuts & bolts and wiring, but painting is beyond my skill set.
As for the cost, if I recall I paid around $550, but that was also for them to do 4 additional center caps .

What I did, which made my life easier was, I bought a set of take offs from other forum members, and sent THOSE rims out to be powder coated. It took my local place about 4-5 days. Then I brought my truck in and they swapped the tires and mounted/balanced them. THen I wound up selling my original rims. The tire buying/selling might have cost me about $100 in total but it was worth it to not lay my truck up for a week.

I know my story was long winded but hope you got some useful tip or two out of it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh,. I did 99% of all my mods myself.....total stereo replacement (head unit, speakers, speaker wiring) front and rear bumper replacements, ZR-2 hood addition......but all the painting went to the pros. I can handle nuts & bolts and wiring, but painting is beyond my skill set.
As for the cost, if I recall I paid around $550, but that was also for them to do 4 additional center caps .

What I did, which made my life easier was, I bought a set of take offs from other forum members, and sent THOSE rims out to be powder coated. It took my local place about 4-5 days. Then I brought my truck in and they swapped the tires and mounted/balanced them. THen I wound up selling my original rims. The tire buying/selling might have cost me about $100 in total but it was worth it to not lay my truck up for a week.

I know my story was long winded but hope you got some useful tip or two out of it.
Makes sense...thanks for the pics and the tip! I think the truck looks great!

·
Registered
169 Posts

Attachments

Reactions: Toughsox

·
Registered
2019 Colorado Z71 3.6L Ext. Cab RC 2” level, Ionic nerfs, Truxport Tonneau Cvr, LEDs upfront
5 Posts
Those wheels look great. I’m looking to do something similar since I don’t want
to go with all black wheels with a silver truck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts