Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Im new here. This is my first post. I have a '16 2.5L LT Crew Cab. Im in the middle of the Houston floods right now due to Hurricane Harvey and its making me realize the importance of a lift to make it through high water levels. I dont care that my truck isnt a 4x4. I need clearance for survival issues in the future. Im looking at doing a 6" lift, but I dont know what tire size the 2.5L engine can handle as a daily driver. Any insight would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Welcome to C'Fans
Sorry to hear about your predicament. I have an acquaintance there who is currently kinda trapped in his house due to flood waters, and low vehicle clearance. We've had about 7" today ourselves.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Off topic but glad your safe and hope you and your family stay safe I have friends and family in that area as well. Welcome to the forums

·
Registered
407 Posts
It's not good down your way, stay safe. My roommate has family that, as of yesterday, was awaiting airlift from the coast guard as they had over 3 feet of water in their house.

While I see the idea behind the lift, driving into flood water can be very dangerous and I lift could give a false sense if security. I also don't know how the 4cyl will handle big tires. It is flat so that helps but good luck holding those high TX speedlimits in overdrive.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I completely agree with your safety recommendation. But until you are in a major safety situation we can all agree that every bit of preparation counts. Added ground clearance could be the answer between getting to safety of being stranded in a hurricane. So, I choose to be prepared.

You are accorect. There is not even 1 damn hill here in Texas hahaha. Incredibly flat, and I do not do any towing at all.

Any recommendations on tire size for a 4 cylinder would be extremely appreciated.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Praying for y'all down there... what a mess.

From a performance perspective I think the 2.5 would do fine with moderate sized tires and a lift. I tow 4,000 pounds with mine regularly and the truck handles it fine, and I am dealing with mountains. No additional weight but the change in respective gearing wouldn't kill it.

I would definitely not hesitate to add the trifecta tune to it like was stated above if you do this ? it completely transforms the truck.

Reactions: maxbee25

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a 2.5 I4 with the Rough Country 6-inch lift kit. My tires are 285/65R18. It's drives just fine. Prior to installing my lift, when the tires arrived I was pretty worried they would bog down the truck. They're just shy of 33 inches. That really hasn't been the case. While the I4 isn't a particularly quick truck, the tires didn't make any appreciable difference in my experience. It did take the truck quite some time to re-learn it's shift schedule. It would drop into 5th gear on even the slightest hills at highway speeds. But after a couple thousand miles it now stays in 6th going up the same hills at the same speeds.

Really the 2.5 is pretty power efficient... I know 200hp isn't a lot by today's standards, but consider that in 1994, Dodge was building trucks with a 5.2L V8 that made the same hp.

Bolt that lift kit on there and don't look back.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i actually live in houston also.. KINGWOOD to be exact and i have a diesel lifted with th 6 inch rough country lift. the truck is 2 wheel drive and I'm running 305/55/20. i will say when i picked up the truck and drove it home i was getting 32mpg and now with the lift and tires i get around 20 city and hwy mixed. the power is still there and yes it will do burn outs still. is it fast.... no it never has been but do i like the amount of ground clearance and overall look of it YES

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.