Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Laser Blue 4x4 Extended Cab 3.6 LFX V-6 with Flux Capacitor Upgrade
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
My house has 2 house spigots. 1 in rear is a hard water line, front 1 is soft water. Since the front was not used for so many years the line is completely clogged. We are on Town Water (Chlorinated) and then softened, will development sediment over time. That is one of the reason Fire Sprinklers can't be charged with chlorinated water and not drain ever so often.
Wow, I never knew that about sprinklers!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Question while we are hear on the subject.
Years ago I used a real chamois to dry my vehicles. I swear they will take the wax right off the car! I now just use a big old bath towel or beach towel.
You guys heard of, or experienced this?
I'm gonna google it now.
I use cotton towels.

·
Registered
391 Posts
The hose bib I wash my vehicles from is attached to the household water softener. Works good for the washing but if I had a lot of watering to do outside it would not be the best set. Lucky I don't have to water much. If the water here was not so hard (+25 grains) I wish I did not have to have it, typical water softeners add sodium to your water, not good for water. Without it it will destroy the water heater, pipes, humidifier, dish washer and any thing inside it, washer, toilets, faucets, tile, etc....

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
The hose bib I wash my vehicles from is attached to the household water softener. Works good for the washing but if I had a lot of watering to do outside it would not be the best set. Lucky I don't have to water much. If the water here was not so hard (+25 grains) I wish I did not have to have it, typical water softeners add sodium to your water, not good for water. Without it it will destroy the water heater, pipes, humidifier, dish washer and any thing inside it, washer, toilets, faucets, tile, etc....
Does this help with water spots when you wash your vehicle? I know it's not de-ionized super pure water, but does it help? When I rinse my truck off now it's just atrocious! I'm seriously considering a water softener tomorrow.

·
Registered
46 Posts
After checking out some auto detail sites. I learned that distilled water is the key to avoiding hard water spots. I am going to try the poor man's solution to hard water spots on my next wash. I'll purchase a few gallons of distilled water and the Chapin 2000 Garden Sprayer 1 Gallon Lawn. I'll wash and rinse and then re-rinse with distilled water using the garden sprayer; I'll apply Wet Detailer and then dry. I am hopeful this will reduce the amount of water spots. Perhaps this would help before you decide to make a more expensive investment in a water softener. Good luck! All the best!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
After checking out some auto detail sites. I learned that distilled water is the key to avoiding hard water spots. I am going to try the poor man's solution to hard water spots on my next wash. I'll purchase a few gallons of distilled water and the Chapin 2000 Garden Sprayer 1 Gallon Lawn. I'll wash and rinse and then re-rinse with distilled water using the garden sprayer; I'll apply Wet Detailer and then dry. I am hopeful this will reduce the amount of water spots. Perhaps this would help before you decide to make a more expensive investment in a water softener. Good luck! All the best!
I just had a thought. I have a dehumidifier in the basement that I have to empty over a gallon of water out of every day. I wonder if it's the same as deionized or distilled water. I could save it in gallon jugs and use it in my pump up garden sprayer for rinsing. Hmmmmm.

🤔

·
Registered
413 Posts
I use one of those cheap under counter water filters that I got from Lowes. I just hook it up to the outside tap when I wash my truck. It's not perfect but it does help. Like others have said, if you towel off immediately, it helps a lot.

Reactions: PacificBlueDude

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
I just had a thought. I have a dehumidifier in the basement that I have to empty over a gallon of water out of every day. I wonder if it's the same as deionized or distilled water. I could save it in gallon jugs and use it in my pump up garden sprayer for rinsing. Hmmmmm.

🤔
It sure seams like condensate water would be free from minerals, good idea!

·
Registered
724 Posts
Reminds me when visiting grandpa and grandmas farm in summer as a kid. They had no guttering on that old farm house but had a rain barrel on the front porch where water when rained would come down a valley of the roofing into the barrel. Grandma used that water for washing clothes in the wash tub and used hand ringer (they had no electricity yet) I'd take the lid off that barrel and look in and water was crystal clear, you could see all the way to bottom. I'll bet that would have been some darn good no spot water to wash vehicle with.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Wahsed and waxed my black girlfriend today and I have hard as **** well water. Washed in the shade and towel dried after washing. For the water spots used maguiers water spot remover and used the cleaner wax. There are no better looking colors when cleaned and waxed than black and the dark metallic colors ( spiral gray metallic ) but they are a pain in the ass to keep clean.
IMG_20200525_165024.jpg

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I see a beautiful truck and a couple of porch dwellers. ; )

·
Registered
29 Posts
Been a car guy for many years...Gave up on dark colors years back. A blsck vehicle is like a second job...No Thanks. I have hard water here at home. I wash in the evening in the shade and dry with quality microfiber. Then hit it quick with some Adams/Griots detail spray.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Been a car guy for many years...Gave up on dark colors years back. A blsck vehicle is like a second job...No Thanks. I have hard water here at home. I wash in the evening in the shade and dry with quality microfiber. Then hit it quick with some Adams/Griots detail spray.
Agreed, black is my favorite when clean, the problem is keeping it clean. lol. My first and last black car was in the 80s, now it's white or silver. White one now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This looks great! Two questions please if you have time.
According to the website...
1. What do you wash with?
2. What do you dry with?

Thanks again! : )
Sorry for the late reply here...

I wash the vehicle with Hot Shot (their soap) but you can use anything, and then rinse it fully off. Then, you actually dry the car using wet detailer on a microfiber towel. You'll burn through towels because the truck is wet obviously but after youve completely dried it using wet detailer, grab a new pile of towels that you can use Punch It with. (One spray per panel directly on paint).

So all in all, I use 10 towels total.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Sorry for the late reply here...

I wash the vehicle with Hot Shot (their soap) but you can use anything, and then rinse it fully off. Then, you actually dry the car using wet detailer on a microfiber towel. You'll burn through towels because the truck is wet obviously but after youve completely dried it using wet detailer, grab a new pile of towels that you can use Punch It with. (One spray per panel directly on paint).

So all in all, I use 10 towels total.
THANK YOU!

·
Registered
2020 GMC Canyon Denali CCLB
51 Posts
If you're a very self conscious person, and care what people think of you, this isn't something you probably want to do...

However, If you have hard water or you don't have a shaded area and the sun dries the drops before you can get to them, consider washing in the rain. Yep...bat***t crazy, right? Not really...Here's why: Rain water is naturally soft. Any hard water you use to wash and rinse (before it dries) will be washed away by the rain water and you won't get spots. I discovered this serendipitously on a cloudy day when it started to rain. My 3/4T crew cab is a lot of surface area to clean and dry & it's hard to get everywhere before it's a spotted mess (Deep Ocean Blue Metallic). Do it in the rain? No problem. No spots. Nothing special needed.

Big fan of instant detailer. Not sure what they put in that stuff, but it's the only thin I clean my motorcycle with. Aside from getting caught in the rain during a ride, it's never been wet. It wipes off bugs, bird poop and even road tar miraculously. All of the instant detailers have a little bit of wax in them. It is the absolute best cleaner for anything plastic - works on boat windows and your laptop equally well. It is very similar to Novus Step 3 - for those that even know what that is...

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
any water and decent wash soap for cars. optionally after rinsing spray detailer all over and hose or squeegee it off.
wipe it dry with microfiber towels....how simple is that?

41 - 60 of 61 Posts