Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Laser Blue 4x4 Extended Cab 3.6 LFX V-6 with Flux Capacitor Upgrade
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
How can you say that the water here in New York is Hard. Those damn rocks.
"In some areas of the country hard water is caused by a high mineral content, which are generally calcium and magnesium. This hardness is largely due to groundwater that flows over or through limestone. While hard water is not a health risk, many home and business owners do find it to be a nuisance."

But I found using a spray detailer afterwards got rid of all the spots.
View attachment 391218
Meguiar's® Ultimate Quik Detailer™, G14422, 22 oz., Spray | Meguiar's
Thank you. I'll try it! : )

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
We don't have particularly hard water here but we still have a water softener to avoid even a little build-up. That's besides the point, though. Having softened water supplied to outdoor faucets is usually discouraged because various plants don't cope well with the ion/mineral change that the water softener does to the water. Our house was built from the start with a water softener and all of the outdoor faucets tap into the main supply line before the water softener. Adding a water softener after the fact may not allow this depending on how your house is plumbed, so you have to figure out what the full impact of installing a water softener will be.

I've lived with hard water without a water softener and with our current house with a water softener, I can't imagine not having soft water or a water softener again. Everything just stays so much cleaner. Dishes, clothes, skin, sinks, washer, dishwasher, water heater, shower heads, shower walls. Highly recommend one.

But for washing vehicles it doesn't do me any good, so I towel dry and if there are any spots then I use Bling Hot Sauce which works quite well.

Bling! Thank you! : )

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
We don't have particularly hard water here but we still have a water softener to avoid even a little build-up. That's besides the point, though. Having softened water supplied to outdoor faucets is usually discouraged because various plants don't cope well with the ion/mineral change that the water softener does to the water. Our house was built from the start with a water softener and all of the outdoor faucets tap into the main supply line before the water softener. Adding a water softener after the fact may not allow this depending on how your house is plumbed, so you have to figure out what the full impact of installing a water softener will be.

I've lived with hard water without a water softener and with our current house with a water softener, I can't imagine not having soft water or a water softener again. Everything just stays so much cleaner. Dishes, clothes, skin, sinks, washer, dishwasher, water heater, shower heads, shower walls. Highly recommend one.

But for washing vehicles it doesn't do me any good, so I towel dry and if there are any spots then I use Bling Hot Sauce which works quite well.

One could hook up a dedicated hose bib to the soft water that goes in the house to rinse the truck. Just don't use it to water. ;)

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
One could hook up a dedicated hose bib to the soft water that goes in the house to rinse the truck. Just don't use it to water. ;)
Sure, or with my setup I could have a plumber add a feed from the water softener with a valve and add a valve on the normal supply side so I could switch between softened water and normal for the spigots as needed.

Outside spigots are fed from the vertical copper pipe on the left before the water softener.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
256 Posts
Sure, or with my setup I could have a plumber add a feed from the water softener with a valve and add a valve on the normal supply side so I could switch between softened water and normal for the spigots as needed.

Outside spigots are fed from the vertical copper pipe on the left before the water softener.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s what I had done just yesterday (can run normal water if desired).

B798C5BB-F187-4E67-A8C1-81C50D6429BF.jpeg

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I have an el-cheapo power washer, but that's not the problem. My water here in New York is super hard and always leaves spots. I mean SPOTS! It's ridiculous. Anyway, I'm going to try this... any thoughts? I'm not interested in spending tons of money for a perfect spotless system, just improvement on what I have to deal with.

Two words: Shine Supply. Hands down the best products to wash your truck with and they all have waterless properties to them. They are a bit expensive but blow out Meguiar's, Chemical Guys, etc. All made in the USA here in California. I use the wet detailer and Punch it after every wash and my truck stays clean for weeks. Also the hydrophobic coating in the products makes future washes super easy. All their products have great instructions on how to apply and you will not be disappointed. I literally wont wash my truck with anything else.

shinesupply.com

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Hmm. Shine Supply sounds interesting.

I am in the keep it waxed, do it in the shade and dry it off before it spots camp. These work great and the otherwise unusable angled D shaped "cupholder" indent things in our doors were seemingly designed to hold their container :cool:

Fun factoid, when they get dirty, just toss 'em in the washing machine. I have one that literally is over 20 years old and still works just fine, they seemingly never wear out. These synthetic chamois work great for wiping down solid surface kitchen counter tops too. If really smeggy, I hit them with a scrub sponge and dish soap on it, then wipe with the Super Absorber, smeg banished! Rinse it out, store in it's handy tube, and it is good to go for the next time. Damn kids - they are all sticky fingered smeg factories :LOL:

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Two words: Shine Supply. Hands down the best products to wash your truck with and they all have waterless properties to them. They are a bit expensive but blow out Meguiar's, Chemical Guys, etc. All made in the USA here in California. I use the wet detailer and Punch it after every wash and my truck stays clean for weeks. Also the hydrophobic coating in the products makes future washes super easy. All their products have great instructions on how to apply and you will not be disappointed. I literally wont wash my truck with anything else.

shinesupply.com
Thank you! Looks like this is the winner! : )

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

shinesupply.com
This looks great! Two questions please if you have time.
According to the website...
1. What do you wash with?
2. What do you dry with?

Thanks again! : )

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Question while we are hear on the subject.
Years ago I used a real chamois to dry my vehicles. I swear they will take the wax right off the car! I now just use a big old bath towel or beach towel.
You guys heard of, or experienced this?
I'm gonna google it now.

·
Premium Member
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
1,244 Posts
My house has 2 house spigots. 1 in rear is a hard water line, front 1 is soft water. Since the front was not used for so many years the line is completely clogged. We are on Town Water (Chlorinated) and then softened, will development sediment over time. That is one of the reason Fire Sprinklers can't be charged with chlorinated water and not drain ever so often.

·
Registered
455 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Question while we are hear on the subject.
Years ago I used a real chamois to dry my vehicles. I swear they will take the wax right off the car! I now just use a big old bath towel or beach towel.
You guys heard of, or experienced this?
I'm gonna google it now.
I quit using real chamois years ago. Using microfiber drying towels now. These suck up a ton of water w/ no residue.

Chamois was okay back in the day, towels are a little better, MF is moar better.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I quit using real chamois years ago. Using microfiber drying towels now. These suck up a ton of water w/ no residue.

Chamois was okay back in the day, towels are a little better, MF is moar better.
I've used Absorber for many years. When they get ragged I just go to Walmart and buy another one. They work great for me to wipe water off vehicles after washing.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have noticed that a typical wash and detail takes considerable more time because of the effort needed to avoid and remove hard water spots on the Colorado (Pacific Blue Metallic). My prior vehicle was white (Tacoma) and I could spiff it up in no-time. But doggone it, the Colorado makes me work at it. I can remove most spots as I dry and as needed I use a damp Absorber Chamois for a 2nd go-over to remove what I missed; detailing the area with a quality microfiber cloth. Today, I tested out Meguiar's Hard Water Spot Remover. It took a couple of tries but the Meguiar's Hard Water Spot Remover did work. As suggested in an earlier post, I will give Wet Detailer by Shine Supply a try on the next wash.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts