Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Laser Blue 4x4 Extended Cab 3.6 LFX V-6 with Flux Capacitor Upgrade
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have an el-cheapo power washer, but that's not the problem. My water here in New York is super hard and always leaves spots. I mean SPOTS! It's ridiculous. Anyway, I'm going to try this... any thoughts? I'm not interested in spending tons of money for a perfect spotless system, just improvement on what I have to deal with.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
I wouldn’t because when I use them camping, they put out pieces of carbon. You really do not want that in the pump.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
That RV filter is for taste and minor contaminants, not so much for calcium and magnesium minerals. You want something more like this:

·
Registered
2017 All Terrain 2.8L CCLB Dark Slate Metallic
577 Posts
Bought my first (and probably only) black truck many years ago, I washed it almost daily at first. Part of the road I lived on at the time was unpaved, red clay and then white sugar sand. Could not keep it clean to save my life, and the water wasn't the best either. But I learned a few tricks. Wiping right with a shammy cloth or microfiber towels will make the water droplets tiny enough that they evaporate and don't leave spots behind. It's also much easier if you wash early or late, or in cloudy/shaded spots, not in mid-day or hot direct sunlight. For a while I did also have one of those Mr. Clean washers with a built in filter and soap dispenser. That definitely helped reduce the amount of work to get rid of water spots. Still have the same truck, but it only gets washed seasonally now LOL but because I kept it washed, waxed and polished early on the paint is still in decent shape.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bought my first (and probably only) black truck many years ago, I washed it almost daily at first. Part of the road I lived on at the time was unpaved, red clay and then white sugar sand. Could not keep it clean to save my life, and the water wasn't the best either. But I learned a few tricks. Wiping right with a shammy cloth or microfiber towels will make the water droplets tiny enough that they evaporate and don't leave spots behind. It's also much easier if you wash early or late, or in cloudy/shaded spots, not in mid-day or hot direct sunlight. For a while I did also have one of those Mr. Clean washers with a built in filter and soap dispenser. That definitely helped reduce the amount of work to get rid of water spots. Still have the same truck, but it only gets washed seasonally now LOL but because I kept it washed, waxed and polished early on the paint is still in decent shape.
I wonder what surfacant they use in car washes that makes the water flow off the vehicle right before the blow dry. I was thinking of using something like that in the soap dispenser on my pressure washer when I do the final rinse. ANY THOUGHTS ANYONE ON A PRODUCT THAT WOULD DO THIS? : )

·
Registered
455 Posts
If your water is hard do you have a filtration system for the water you use indoors? I also have hard water, but have a system and filter to mitigate the issues...if that's the case for you, may want to try what I did...I tapped into my hot water (filtered and softened) and ran a line to my outdoor faucet (just the one I use for car washing) with a shut off so I can go back and forth... now I have hot (bonus) and soft water for car washing....and unfiltered cold for lawn etc...

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the tips! : )

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If your water is hard do you have a filtration system for the water you use indoors? I also have hard water, but have a system and filter to mitigate the issues...if that's the case for you, may want to try what I did...I tapped into my hot water (filtered and softened) and ran a line to my outdoor faucet (just the one I use for car washing) with a shut off so I can go back and forth... now I have hot (bonus) and soft water for car washing....and unfiltered cold for lawn etc...
I don't have a water softener. I have always wanted one. I'm just worried about the cost involved. Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I really should have one and I will hook it up like you said if I do. : )

·
Registered
2017 All Terrain 2.8L CCLB Dark Slate Metallic
577 Posts
I wonder what surfacant they use in car washes that makes the water flow off the vehicle right before the blow dry. I was thinking of using something like that in the soap dispenser on my pressure washer when I do the final rinse. ANY THOUGHTS ANYONE ON A PRODUCT THAT WOULD DO THIS? : )
I think it is just filtered/de-ionized water at the car washes. The Mr. Clean system I had was called "Autodry" and when I used the filtered water it did the same thing, beading off the truck.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think it is just filtered/de-ionized water at the car washes. The Mr. Clean system I had was called "Autodry" and when I used the filtered water it did the same thing, beading off the truck.
Excellent! Thank you! <begins research>

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
In dealing with a number of black vehicles and well water I have worked out tactics that help prevent issues.

Being it is the water drying in post that creates the issues so you work to prevent this.

Never was in the sun or with the surface hot.

keep the surface waxed so most water will run off.

Was the truck in sections. I do the cab then wash the bed drying each after the wash.

microfiber

Now two things I do that all may not be able to do. One is wash indoors. The second is I purchased a Masterblaster Air Force car dryer. It is not cheap but it really works and even eliminates all those annoying weepers. I cringed even buying at cost but today I would not hesitate to buy another.

The 8 hp one is the one to have. No a leaf blower is not as effective. The blaster used more focused air that is warm.

My greatest trouble was not with well water but city water. Spotting was horrible.

That is Just how I deal with my hard water.

One last thIng. Adams Detailer works well with microfiber to catch any hard water spots you may have missed.

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
If your water is that hard, buying a house water softner will pay for itself in not time by not having to replace your hot water heater every 3-5 years, faucets that leak(o-rings) and cleaning all the hard water stains in sinks, tubs showers and shower doors, and you will feel cleaner after a shower.. and if you have a humidifier connected to your furnace the filter and valvels will last much longer, years instead of a month or two

·
Registered
5,257 Posts
Nope. Costs too much. Thank you tough, : )
You will have to use softened water of some sort, no other way to get the hardness out of the water. Water softeners aren't cheap.
That filter is for chlorine and such. Best bet is wash in the shade. My first house had water like that, I had to wait for the sun to go down. Been there, done that, it sucks.

·
Registered
5,257 Posts
At car washes it helps that they have huge blowers and then at least 2 guys drying after that!
interesting Mr. clean thing, I'm gonna check that out too.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
We don't have particularly hard water here but we still have a water softener to avoid even a little build-up. That's besides the point, though. Having softened water supplied to outdoor faucets is usually discouraged because various plants don't cope well with the ion/mineral change that the water softener does to the water. Our house was built from the start with a water softener and all of the outdoor faucets tap into the main supply line before the water softener. Adding a water softener after the fact may not allow this depending on how your house is plumbed, so you have to figure out what the full impact of installing a water softener will be.

I've lived with hard water without a water softener and with our current house with a water softener, I can't imagine not having soft water or a water softener again. Everything just stays so much cleaner. Dishes, clothes, skin, sinks, washer, dishwasher, water heater, shower heads, shower walls. Highly recommend one.

But for washing vehicles it doesn't do me any good, so I towel dry and if there are any spots then I use Bling Hot Sauce which works quite well.

·
Premium Member
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
1,247 Posts
So I have an el-cheapo power washer, but that's not the problem. My water here in New York is super hard and always leaves spots. I mean SPOTS! It's ridiculous. Anyway, I'm going to try this... any thoughts? I'm not interested in spending tons of money for a perfect spotless system, just improvement on what I have to deal with.

How can you say that the water here in New York is Hard. Those damn rocks.
"In some areas of the country hard water is caused by a high mineral content, which are generally calcium and magnesium. This hardness is largely due to groundwater that flows over or through limestone. While hard water is not a health risk, many home and business owners do find it to be a nuisance."

But I found using a spray detailer afterwards got rid of all the spots.

Meguiar's® Ultimate Quik Detailer™, G14422, 22 oz., Spray | Meguiar's

·
Registered
136 Posts
Have also used the Meguiars ultimate quick detailer when drying after a wash. I use a McKees car dryer to get most of the water out of the crevices then spray a little of the detailer on the panels and dry with a microfiber. Just applied Turtle Wax ceramic spray and will be trying the TW wet wax after washes. Also, I try to keep water on the panels as much as possible after rinsing each section to minimize drying while I was the rest of the truck.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts