Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys, just wanting to hear everyone’s opinions on Tonneau covers. Soft or hard? Favorite brands?
I have a hard rollback cover and love it. You’ll lose about 6” of length in the bed but I’ve found it to be worth it. You can lock it, it keeps out 99% of water I’d guess, and it’s sturdy. Here is the brand I have:

Retractable Tonneau Covers | Retrax Truck Bed Covers

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a Diamondback HD and I've seen one that a guy tried to open with a prybar of some sort. I don't know how long he worked on it but it stayed secure, kinda beat up but secure. The ability to haul 1,600 pounds on top of it will never get a try-out simply because that's 200 pounds more than my ZR2 is rated for in total. But I have hauled some fairly heavy stuff and didn't leave so much as mark. The 12 cleats are a big help as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I prefer the hard covers. Last 10 years or so have used the tri-fold hard covers. Most of the main manufactures have very similar products now. I had an Undercover tri-fold on my last truck that worked fine and currently have the BakFlip MX4 that I am satisfied with.
I have the BakFlip hard tri-fold also, it's Great(y) 5 year warranty and 400 pound rating.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you don’t mind the cannister, a rolltop hard cover is great. TCUSA and Retrax are two brands. Since I got a camper top, i’m selling my rolltop hard cover for cheap here in the sale listings. My listing includes a video walkaround. Make an offer - it’s deserves to be on a Colorado, not on my ping pong table.

·
Registered
2019 ZR2 Bison
29 Posts
I started out with the Tyger trifold soft cover. Honestly for an inexpensive soft cover, I would highly recommend it. Pretty secure (for a soft cover), no leaks unless I hit it with the pressure washer and it was very minimal then, easy operation and easy (no tools) to take off and put on. Only had it on for a little over a year, but it held up great and still looked like new when I took it off. Only reason I changed it out was because my needs changed. Wanted to go with something more secure that would give me piece of mind when leaving expensive gear in the bed and could handle a good amount of weight on top of it. I also needed something that would give me options for adding a rack to mount a tent. I went with a diamondback cover and added front runner load bars. Although it was hit to the bank account, I couldn't be happier with the set up. Fits my needs perfectly. All comes down to what you need and your budget. If you just need something to keep your stuff dry and from flying out of the bed, you can't go wrong with something like the Tyger. If you want to be able to jump up and down on top of your cover without it flexing, then something like the diamondback is a great but pricey option.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a Truxedo LoPro on my 05 Canyon which was great. When got my new 2019 XR2, I went with the same but upgraded to the X15 which was nicer. Matte woven fabric similar to a convertible top. Was great for about 1.5 years until someone took a sharp object to it and snatched everything out of the bed. Rest assured, it was a simple plastic tote with nothing of real significant value.

Since then, I have upgraded to the hard Undercover Ultra Flex which is somewhat more secure but costs a bit more as well. Nothing is 100% secure, but someone would have to struggle a bit more to get into the bed with this. The sections can be folded backwards to allow access to the bed and the last section can be propped up with bars, leaving the bed nearly entirely open. The folds can be secured, allowing you to drive with it open. It can also be quickly removed by unscrewing the two knobs by the cab and just lifting it off. Heavier than the roll tops but still easily executed.

I also have the AMP Research BedXtender Max which works nicely at allowing me to haul bigger items and at the same time is flipped inside and secures my cargo by the tailgate when needed.

As others have said, it all depends on your needs, how much willing to spend, etc. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys, just wanting to hear everyone’s opinions on Tonneau covers. Soft or hard? Favorite brands?
It's the hardtop for me and it's great. I can open it fully in about 5 seconds, and it's secure, more so than a soft top. A bit pricey, though.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I really like my Lomax cover. It is a coated aluminum cover. It doesn't have the seals on top; so to me it looks cleaner. No leaks after a couple years.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You could break down the options to 4 groups - roll-up, folding, retractable, 1 piece. All but retractable are available in solid or cloth. A quick run down of some commonly listed concerns, and an application example:

Rails - many have rails on top of the bed sides or inside the bed. Inside rail can be damaged if a heavy load shifts. Top rails can be damaged if you haul loads that sit on the top sides of the bed.

Accessories - If you're adding something like a roll bar or ladder rack you are limited more in your options.

Weatherproof - something to look for if you are in a cold weather area is if there is a place that water can collect - no rails or rails on top of bed sides is better here. Rails on top tend to be easier to protect from water infiltration (might need to add weather stripping in some corners).

Appearance - retractable and 1 piece have nicest appearance, and most solids covers can be custom painted.

Durability - I would have solid folding as most durable qwith some models you can stand on. Retraceable have a lot of parts that can be damaged or break. Cloth can be more easily damaged.

Bed space (when open) - retractable and folding generally take up the most, roll-ups take up almost no space. Some folding will flip forward against your rear cabin window, but you may not want to block the view of what you're hauling. The number of sections in a folding (3 or 4) can decrease the lost bed space.

Opening/closing/access - Retractable and folding are a lot easier, with many retraceables electrically operated. Some folding models have the front section flip backwards, allowing quick access the the area just behind the bed. Some folding just have 1 latch, while others have a separate latch for each section to operate to open. Sometimes you might just want a small portion open such as having lumber resting on the closed tailgate - a lot of covers won't permit this.

Cost - Retractable are expensive. I never looked up single piece. Folding can be all over the place. Roll-ups are the cheapest.

Removing - with roll-ups you might never need to remove completely. Retractable and single piece is a poor option for removing completely. Folding depends on type - some can be removed just by pulling 2 pins - but if you are away from home you use up part of your bed storing the cover, which you just had to remove to get more bed space (seems partially self-defeating).

Security - Retractable are the most secure, followed by solid folding. A lot of roll-ups offer no security.

In my case: I didn't have any plans for additions like a ladder rack. I didn't want rails inside the bed for shifting loads. I did want it waterproof. Appearance was high. Bed space when open and cost were lower priorities (I rarely haul above the bed sides). I did want it reasonably durable. I wanted it easy to open and access, and didn't want to block my view when fully opened. Removing wasn't a concern - if it was I would have gone with a roll-up and rarely have to bother removing.

I ended up with the Fold-A-Cover. Rails on top, easy to make rainproof, 4 section allow a little more open bed when opened, I really like the front section flipping backwards (this is where I put stuff I always carry). You can use thumb screws to make it easier to remove, but I would recommend looking elsewhere if you think you will need to frequently remove it. It has adequate security with separate locks at front and back and latches inside to hold the sections. It is extremely easy to open and close, probably 2nd only to retractable. It doesn't block the rear view when fully open. I wouldn't try standing or hauling on top of it, but otherwise the hardware is durable. I have a black truck so the appearance is nice. It is among the more expensive.

I do wish they made it easier to completely remove - no reason it can't be as easy as pulling 2 pins. I also wish you could leave the back section only open, but it gets caught by the wind - some day I might see if I can modify this with straps and recessed tie-downs.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I went with the Fold a Cover Elite hard cover. With a little additional weather-stripping it keeps the bed dry and it stays secure. I also like the fact that I can open it at the front and the back of the bed. Makes it much easier to get the stuff that slides up to the cab when you hit the brakes a little too hard. Mine attaches with thumb screws so I can remove it in less than 5 minutes if necessary and easily put it back on right where it is supposed to be. I also like that you cannot jimmy it open with a coat hanger but, like Goodspike mentioned above, I think a good sized pry bar could open any of these up. A soft cover only takes a semi sharp knife though...
I love mine, and was thinking of using thumb screws for easy removal. Did you use them on the 4 upward facing bolts (2 each side)?

It is ridiculous they don't just have the 2 sections connect with a pin and clip (or spring pin) making removal nothing of note.

I also don't like you can't leave just the back section only open. I am considering using small recessed tie downs (similar to what you see on trailer beds) and straps with a toggle latch to allow this, but doubt I will bother.

·
Registered
2018 Colorado CCLB Z71 in Silver Ice Metallic
184 Posts
I love mine, and was thinking of using thumb screws for easy removal. Did you use them on the 4 upward facing bolts (2 each side)?

It is ridiculous they don't just have the 2 sections connect with a pin and clip (or spring pin) making removal nothing of note.

I also don't like you can't leave just the back section only open. I am considering using small recessed tie downs (similar to what you see on trailer beds) and straps with a toggle latch to allow this, but doubt I will bother.
I sure did. Ordered these from amazon and they work great. I can't take credit for the idea though as I got it from another member here in the forum. Makes removal and re-installation a breeze.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Alaskan Farm Boy

·
Registered
3 Posts
i went with the sentry ct cover because it offers the durability of a hard cover with the convenience of a soft cover. the sentry ct is made of interlocking ( thick ) aluminum slats covered in a special material that is not vinyl. the cover locks on the end and in the middle. no one is going to lift it up or stab a knife through it. yet it easily rolls up still leaving room to see through the rear windows.its super easy to remove it and put it back on when need be, i have the 5'2 bed. this is not a cheap cover as it cost right at $1000 but well worth it....

·
Registered
2017 Colorado ZR2
39 Posts
I'm thinking of picking up a cover to use through the winter here.
Following this thread and wondering if anyone could post pics of their covers.
Might make it easier for people to decide when seeing one on a colorado/canyon

·
Registered
9 Posts
You guys with fold-a-covers, when did you get them? I've had two and wanted another for my new Z71 but the website isn't working. Figured they were a covid victim.

·
Registered
2018 Colorado CCLB Z71 in Silver Ice Metallic
184 Posts
You guys with fold-a-covers, when did you get them? I've had two and wanted another for my new Z71 but the website isn't working. Figured they were a covid victim.
Man I hope not. Got mine in spring of 19 so definitely before Covid.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 66 Posts