Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Z71
102 Posts
My only other pick-up was a 1972 El Camino, and it had a soft, snap-on tonneau. I hated it as it filled up with rain and snow, and unsnapping it to open the tailgate made the end dip down so you got soaked!

I asked around like you're doing, and decided on a hard tri-fold one for the Colorado. The BAKflip got good reviews here, and the place the did my bedliner handled them, so that's what I bought, and I'm very happy with it.

It's easy to open up one, two, or all three panels, and has tie-downs to secure the open section(s) so it doesn't flap in the wind. Seems to be pretty weather tight, and looks really nice on the truck.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I went fm soft (Extang) to hard (Bak)...not going back to soft. The tri-fold's easier to remove in our horrendous NE winds (won't sail away) & is semi-secure (harder to break-in). Although security on these isn't like fort knox, it'll deter someone over easy access any day. Nothing's 100% secure, with the right tools, but why not make it a tad bit harder f/ dishonest to get your goods...??

Reactions: croskyl

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Nothing's 100% secure, with the right tools, but why not make it a tad bit harder f/ dishonest to get your goods...??
Just being out of site is helpful. The same is true of not leaving stuff in the cab.

·
Registered
2020 Z71
102 Posts
I went fm soft (Extang) to hard (Bak)...not going back to soft. The tri-fold's easier to remove in our horrendous NE winds (won't sail away) & is semi-secure (harder to break-in). Although security on these isn't like fort knox, it'll deter someone over easy access any day. Nothing's 100% secure, with the right tools, but why not make it a tad bit harder f/ dishonest to get your goods...??

We get some pretty stiff winds in this part of Colorado, too!

·
Registered
2018 Chevy Colorado LT, 4x4, 3.5 L V6
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thank you everyone, the info is very helpful

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab Short Box LT
192 Posts
I've driven work trucks with hard one piece tonneau covers and one with a soft tonneau. One of the hinges broke on a hard cover 6 months old. They replaced the hinge under warrantee. The soft cover had small tears in places.
The easiest cover was the standard 3 piece cover on my Chevrolet Avalanche. I could remove one to all three pieces if I needed the bed. That cover was so sturdy I could walk on it. That cover would leak at times though

Reactions: croskyl

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
I had one hard cover and hated it. It did offer good security, but it seemed like I was always having it pull it off to haul something that wouldn't fit under it. The best hard cover option I found was a tri-fold by Gator that looked soft but had aluminum plates underneath. Almost as secure as a one piece hard top, but maintained the ability to be folded up for tall objects. It was a bit pricey though. I've had numerous roll ups and never had an issue with them outside the early ones that used snaps. In the winter, the tops shrunk in the cold and getting the snaps back into place was a bitch. Velcro is a much easier system for roll ups an used by everyone today.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a Diamondback and really like it. I have the CC long bed and I’ve yet to have to remove it to haul anything. I’ve popped off the struts and folded the rear section forward and secured it to haul tall loads. I’ve also put some larger things on top of it and strapped them down while using the inside of the bed for softer items.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
I had one hard cover and hated it. It did offer good security, but it seemed like I was always having it pull it off to haul something that wouldn't fit under it.
As I mentioned above, I have a second truck to deal with that issue. But if I did have to remove it from time to time I think I'd consider trying to rig up some sort of a pully system in the garage to lift it off when needed. That might require backing in to eliminate garage door interference, but you'd only need to do that when you did want to lift it off.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have the sports bar so I had to get the soft cover.
Didn't want to hack things up for the hard cover to fit.
I don't leave nothing of value in the bed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Had a BAk revolver roll cover on last truck. Basically a soft top with aluminum slats beneath for security.
Leaning that direction for my colorado but second option would be a hard cover tri fold. Less flexible but nicer when closed
Love my BAK Revolver on my Colorado. It’s the best of both worlds. Hard cover that rolls far enough out of the way to open up the majority of the bed without obscuring rear window view.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a hard trifold I got from amazon for 400 looks similar to the rough country one they sell for 600-800. Ended up getting it for free cause it didn’t mount up correctly so after a few emails they decided to just let me keep it and offer full refund which was nice. I had a soft tonneau cover I got for $150 from amazon before but the material got very mold like after 1 year so under the 2 year warranty I got a refund and shipped it back. Def recommend something hard and metal rather then material

·
Registered
2020 Z71
102 Posts
Love my BAK Revolver on my Colorado. It’s the best of both worlds. Hard cover that rolls far enough out of the way to open up the majority of the bed without obscuring rear window view.
I'm almost wishing I would have got the roll up one. I had to bring home one of those "Power Riding Toys" for our grandson, and even with all three sections opened, the cover takes up just enough space that I had to bring it home with the tailgate down.

But I did get to use some of my new Bullring cargo tie downs! 😁

·
Registered
29 Posts
I went hard and very pleased. I got the 4 fold which can open from the cab or the tailgate (very convenient) . It's lockable and has been very dry protecting the interior. Completely take it off with two bolts. It's the same cover you see pictured in the GMC brochures and online pics.

Reactions: Curler20p

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a Diamondback. I really like it. Tough and secure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey guys, just wanting to hear everyone’s opinions on Tonneau covers. Soft or hard? Favorite brands?
Love the soft tri folding with the metal frame. Very secure and versatile. GM logo brand is good but so is the Truxedo brand. I’ve had ARE painted hard tonneaus which look great and very secure but really limit what you use a pick up for.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey guys, just wanting to hear everyone’s opinions on Tonneau covers. Soft or hard? Favorite brands?
I have 2017 ZR 2 and I have a Diamondback cover... paid extra to have it powder coated black, it was expensive, but for me a 1 time purchase. No worries about discoloration, no worries about fading plastic.... LOVE IT.... Love even more cause Wife bought it as a Birthday, Anniversary, and any other Holiday gift😃😃😆😆

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Colorado
3 Posts
Just ordered a Lomax trifold hardcover from realtruck. (y) Had an American soft roll up on my old truck and loved how dry it stayed inside. I now need the security though. Never had my old vinyl cover sliced, but have found corners un-snapped and partly opened. Since this cover rests on top of the bed rails, I’m hoping it’ll stay relatively dry too. 🤞

21 - 40 of 66 Posts