Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Chevy Colorado LT, 4x4, 3.5 L V6
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just wanting to hear everyone’s opinions on Tonneau covers. Soft or hard? Favorite brands?

·
Registered
484 Posts
I prefer the hard covers. Last 10 years or so have used the tri-fold hard covers. Most of the main manufactures have very similar products now. I had an Undercover tri-fold on my last truck that worked fine and currently have the BakFlip MX4 that I am satisfied with.

·
Registered
16 Canyon SLT, V6, 4X4, Longbed, Cyber Metallic Gray
627 Posts
definitely a hard cover for me, but I do alot of traveling and want the security.
If the security was not a issue, soft cover roll up is nice.
For a hard cover I like a tri fold, different lods I can out in different positions, but not water tight, mine leaks some during hard rains.
If you don't need the extra height on bed, a hard cover seals better and more secure.
Take off the shocks, and add in linear actuators or make a different style that uses actuators about 3/4 back and easy open and do not need locks.

Reactions: croskyl

·
Registered
16 Posts
I started with a soft cover, but quickly changed it out for a hard cover after finding that someone lifted the Velcro sides attempting to see what may have been in the truck bed. Not a great feeling. I went with the Truxedo Sentry CT roll up and like it a lot.

·
Registered
2017 Colorado ZR2
39 Posts
Had a BAk revolver roll cover on last truck. Basically a soft top with aluminum slats beneath for security.
Leaning that direction for my colorado but second option would be a hard cover tri fold. Less flexible but nicer when closed

·
Registered
52 Posts
I recently installed the Extang Solid Fold 2.0 and I am very happy with it. It is a simple install and can be completely removed with very little effort. It is solidly constructed and aesthetically pleasing. Have a look: extang.com/solid-fold-2-0/2020/chevrolet/colorado.

·
Registered
11,619 Posts
I am going to talk about the flip side to it - the soft cover. I chose the soft cover because of the flexibility it offers. When I first looked at covers, I thought the soft cover offered the simplest way to remove and store when I needed full bed access as opposed to any of the hard covers. I never considered a 1 piece hard cover - removal and storage of that looked like a pain.

I frequently haul various loads in my truck. Yes, 90% of the time, I can do that with the bed cover in place, but I frequently have tall loads, furniture, mattresses, etc. The taller bed sides do allow for a lot taller cargo to be hauled with the bed cover in place. My Yeti-wanna-be cooler would not have fit in trucks of old, including the latest Taco. (Which really is just a truck of old with fresh lipstick.)

What I discovered with my soft roll up was that I never needed to remove it. It rolls us small enough to allow pretty much full bed access without blocking the rear view. I can go from covered bed to pretty much full opened bed in 30 seconds. Closing it back might take 60 seconds, since I like to fully secure the velcro on both sides, thus I have to walk around the other side of the truck.

So, flexibility I think goes to a soft cover, security to a hard cover.

Some of the hard covers may allow you to place a load on top of them, that might be another plus. The rainproof of my soft cover on my Canyon was good - biggest issue was tailgate leaks, not cover leaks. (On my Silverado, they did not include a gasket along the front (cab) side of the bed, and so I think if I ever see rain, it will leak. Haven't had a chance to resolve, and I am a little disappointed Real Truck did not respond to my question for a solution. ) I might add, the one I purchased for my Silverado does not seem as good as the one I had on my Canyon.

I like a lot of the hard cover tri-fold and rollup designs, but between costs and flexibility, my soft roll up was the best choice for my usage. It was still in pretty good shape after 5 years and probably 90k miles of use on it.

Some people complain on the soft cover about noise from flapping: Never an issue on my Canyon, there does seem to be a bit more motion on my Silverado cover. It is slightly wider and longer, and a couple of adjustments I have made have helped.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am going to talk about the flip side to it - the soft cover. I chose the soft cover because of the flexibility it offers. When I first looked at covers, I thought the soft cover offered the simplest way to remove and store when I needed full bed access as opposed to any of the hard covers. I never considered a 1 piece hard cover - removal and storage of that looked like a pain.

I frequently haul various loads in my truck. Yes, 90% of the time, I can do that with the bed cover in place, but I frequently have tall loads, furniture, mattresses, etc. The taller bed sides do allow for a lot taller cargo to be hauled with the bed cover in place. My Yeti-wanna-be cooler would not have fit in trucks of old, including the latest Taco. (Which really is just a truck of old with fresh lipstick.)

What I discovered with my soft roll up was that I never needed to remove it. It rolls us small enough to allow pretty much full bed access without blocking the rear view. I can go from covered bed to pretty much full opened bed in 30 seconds. Closing it back might take 60 seconds, since I like to fully secure the velcro on both sides, thus I have to walk around the other side of the truck.

So, flexibility I think goes to a soft cover, security to a hard cover.

Some of the hard covers may allow you to place a load on top of them, that might be another plus. The rainproof of my soft cover on my Canyon was good - biggest issue was tailgate leaks, not cover leaks. (On my Silverado, they did not include a gasket along the front (cab) side of the bed, and so I think if I ever see rain, it will leak. Haven't had a chance to resolve, and I am a little disappointed Real Truck did not respond to my question for a solution. ) I might add, the one I purchased for my Silverado does not seem as good as the one I had on my Canyon.

I like a lot of the hard cover tri-fold and rollup designs, but between costs and flexibility, my soft roll up was the best choice for my usage. It was still in pretty good shape after 5 years and probably 90k miles of use on it.

Some people complain on the soft cover about noise from flapping: Never an issue on my Canyon, there does seem to be a bit more motion on my Silverado cover. It is slightly wider and longer, and a couple of adjustments I have made have helped.
Agreed about the ease of removal of the cover which is one of the reasons I went with the Sentry CT. Two lever locks allow for the cover to be removed without the need for any tools. I also liked the look of the “convertible top” type fabric vs. the look of vinyl.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I bought the cheap soft cover on amazon. For me it works and I like it. Better aerodynamics and keeps my stuff hidden decently well. I can take it on and off completely in a few minutes. But I do like the look of the Flush mount retractable hard covers. $$$

·
Registered
683 Posts
A SOFT Trail FX cover was included as part of the deal when i got it new. So i can't complain. So far it's been a great cover,

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
I went with the one-piece Undercover SE, mainly looking for something that was strong. Supposedly you can stand on the thing. Note that is not the same as security, because I think any of these could easily be opened with enough force. It does keep the bed 100% dry.

As to not being easily removable, not a big factor for me because I still have my 89 Ranger, and it is easier to haul tall stuff in (e.g. appliances) because it's a much lower bed.

·
Registered
2018 Colorado CCLB Z71 in Silver Ice Metallic
185 Posts
I went with the Fold a Cover Elite hard cover. With a little additional weather-stripping it keeps the bed dry and it stays secure. I also like the fact that I can open it at the front and the back of the bed. Makes it much easier to get the stuff that slides up to the cab when you hit the brakes a little too hard. Mine attaches with thumb screws so I can remove it in less than 5 minutes if necessary and easily put it back on right where it is supposed to be. I also like that you cannot jimmy it open with a coat hanger but, like Goodspike mentioned above, I think a good sized pry bar could open any of these up. A soft cover only takes a semi sharp knife though...

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
but, like Goodspike mentioned above, I think a good sized pry bar could open any of these up. A soft cover only takes a semi sharp knife though...
I don't even think it would take a crowbar on mine because it has good grip points, which are also the overhang points to keep water out. But a lot of these you could just stand on top of them and defeat them.

BTW, on the topic of security, just about any of these things will secure your stuff from flying out of the bed. That's a very important consideration.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Ive got a soft tri fold, it does the job.....never been a fan of the bed covers....but it was cheap enough i thought i would give it a try. So far i like it cleans up well and is some what easy to use when needing to haul.....I think that if I had my pic, i would give a hard roll up a try....I like the idea of more security, and they seems to give a little more space for hauling loads....

·
Registered
2018 Colorado CCLB Z71 in Silver Ice Metallic
185 Posts
I don't even think it would take a crowbar on mine because it has good grip points, which are also the overhang points to keep water out. But a lot of these you could just stand on top of them and defeat them.

BTW, on the topic of security, just about any of these things will secure your stuff from flying out of the bed. That's a very important consideration.
Agreed. And one more consideration for the OP...are you going to want to add a bed rack in the future? If the answer to that question is yes then I would encourage you to research rack systems and tonneau covers at the same time. Not all racks will work with all tonneau's so that would be good info to have up front. For instance a folding cover wont work unless the rack is high enough, and the mounting points for a rack might interfere with the mounting of a tonneau.

Just to make it a little more challenging 😁

·
Registered
2018 Chevy Colorado LT, 4x4, 3.5 L V6
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Agreed. And one more consideration for the OP...are you going to want to add a bed rack in the future? If the answer to that question is yes then I would encourage you to research rack systems and tonneau covers at the same time. Not all racks will work with all tonneau's so that would be good info to have up front. For instance a folding cover wont work unless the rack is high enough, and the mounting points for a rack might interfere with the mounting of a tonneau.

Just to make it a little more challenging 😁
I’m pretty basic so I don’t think I’ll be adding a bed rack, good thought though. Im mainly just looking for something to keep the bed dry when it’s full of groceries or whatever other small things I have. Thanks!

·
Registered
11,619 Posts

My dad always said locks were for honest people - crooks will be crooks.

Main reason for my cover is to keep stuff from flying out of bed, and at least not visible to wandering eyes. Since I put most of my stuff in totes anyway, even without a lid on the tote, contents stay dry.

On my Canyon, I had the spray in bedliner, and I took a plastic corrugated sheet (old 4 foot square political sign) and had it sitting toward the front of the truck. The lip of the sheet kept most things from sliding forward on the drive home from store.

On my Silverado, I have rubber bed mat that resists sliding, but I tied a rope across the back of bed to keep items close to the tailgate. I am still trying to find the cargo net I had at one point. It was for my Tahoe, did not work on the Canyon, want to see if it works on the Silverado.

If OP is putting a lot of small items in bed, no matter which cover he decides on, he will probably want something to keep items close to the tailgate - might be a bed extender flipped over, a 2x6 in the lumber slots, or a net or rope. But the first time the load slides all the way to the cab, it is raining or midnight, he is going to curse having to open the cover all the way up to reach the load.

·
Registered
2017 Colorado ZR2
39 Posts
If money wasn't an option I would definitely look into the diamondback covers. You can haul stuff on top of them, they lock solid and the panels are removable.from.the cover frame it self for hauling larger pieces.

·
Registered
2021 Colorado WT 4x4 (4Cyl, 6 Spd)
36 Posts
Hey guys, just wanting to hear everyone’s opinions on Tonneau covers. Soft or hard? Favorite brands?
I have a basic soft one that rolls up and honestly its really nice. The hard ones like the tri-folds are also great but less convenient to get in and out. The only bad thing about the soft covers is someone could break through it really easy if they wanted to steal ur ****.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts