Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Interesting how manufacturers had fairly bullet proof 5, 6, 7 speed transmissions. But 8, 9, 10 seem to have issues. 10 seems like alot of gears, but 8 seems like a sweet spot if they can get the issues worded out.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I didn't realize the 10-speeds had a problem too. Most people I've seen online tend to recommend getting a truck with the 10 speed to avoid the 8. But its been a while since I've even looked...

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
Interesting how manufacturers had fairly bullet proof 5, 6, 7 speed transmissions. But 8, 9, 10 seem to have issues. 10 seems like alot of gears, but 8 seems like a sweet spot if they can get the issues worded out.

The problems we see are the torque converter, they now like to kind of slow shift it to lock it now. Back in the good ol' days it just shifted right in. They probably do this because customers want it to shift and not feel it, this is the worst thing for an auto trans. Apparently the design of the thing sucks too.

·
Registered
251 Posts
The problems we see are the torque converter, they now like to kind of slow shift it to lock it now. Back in the good ol' days it just shifted right in. They probably do this because customers want it to shift and not feel it, this is the worst thing for an auto trans. Apparently the design of the thing sucks too.
Yes, too bad. I think if something is not broken, do not fix it...

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm not a fan of anything over 6 speed personally, in driving my Colorado full time and also sitting in other vehicle makes with 8 and 10 speed such as Fords, there is just so many instances where the transmission seems to not know what gear to be in depending on situation. All the extra speeds to save short term MPG next to nothing but they claim long term thousands of gallons of gas.....6 speeds in my opinion were the sweet spot.....damn tree huggers

·
Registered
191 Posts
The torque converter lock-up clutch is instantaneous and is actually designed to slip at a controlled rate somewhere around or less than 200 RPM. The wrong fluid will have an effect on this controlled slip and create a "SHUDDER" which can essentially glaze over the lock-up clutch friction material and no flush will fix that issue.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm not a fan of anything over 6 speed personally, in driving my Colorado full time and also sitting in other vehicle makes with 8 and 10 speed such as Fords, there is just so many instances where the transmission seems to not know what gear to be in depending on situation. All the extra speeds to save short term MPG next to nothing but they claim long term thousands of gallons of gas.....6 speeds in my opinion were the sweet spot.....damn tree huggers
Agree, having a 6 overdrive gear for the highway makes perfect sense to save gas.

·
Registered
321 Posts
The torque converter lock-up clutch is instantaneous and is actually designed to slip at a controlled rate somewhere around or less than 200 RPM. The wrong fluid will have an effect on this controlled slip and create a "SHUDDER" which can essentially glaze over the lock-up clutch friction material and no flush will fix that issue.
...which is why round 2 of the TSB if the fluid doesn't work is to replace the torque converter. If you catch it in time, no glaze; fluid and done.

·
Registered
251 Posts
...which is why round 2 of the TSB if the fluid doesn't work is to replace the torque converter. If you catch it in time, no glaze; fluid and done.
All this makes sense, except why should a 2020 have the shudder if it is coming from the factory with the right fluid to began with??

·
Registered
73 Posts

Unfortunately in my case at least I have a 6 speed and it has literally off of the issues everyone here is describing. Sad panda

·
Registered
77 Posts
My 2019 had the flush because it was suppose to have the "old" fluid. My doesn't so much shudder but bangs some shifts like John Force. 1st to 2nd and if you have the cruise on 85 and hit a hill it slams 7th when it downshifts. I like this transmission almost as good as those door cup holders.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You have 3 colorado's?

17=canyon, 18=canyon, 19=colorado and 20=canyon.........I get laid off a lot and sell my vehicle. Every time I get a new job, I buy a new truck. :oops:

·
Registered
251 Posts
17=canyon, 18=canyon, 19=colorado and 20=canyon.........I get laid off a lot and sell my vehicle. Every time I get a new job, I buy a new truck. :oops:
So you are the right person to ask, thoughts on Canyon vs. COLORADO. I thought I wanted a 2021 z71 but now I like the AT4...

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
So you are the right person to ask, thoughts on Canyon vs. COLORADO. I thought I wanted a 2021 z71 but now I like the AT4...

Get what you like . The GMC has a nicer looking interior with more soft touch material and dash/ door stitching making it appear more upscale.
The exterior is where you have to decide what you prefer , GMC is more truckish looking from the front with bolder grill , Chevy looks more SUV/car like from front with a more wedge shaped front. Sporty.
The rest of the trucks are the same.

·
Registered
321 Posts
All this makes sense, except why should a 2020 have the shudder if it is coming from the factory with the right fluid to began with??
None of us are on GM's development or warranty teams so we cannot speak to any technical content with authority, but as with literally any product, there's going to be some percentage that don't perform properly. It appears (from my time cruising around the internet) that the newer models seem to shudder less than the 18's that were identified in the TSB, but I don't have good numbers to indicate whether that statement is correct or not.

I can tell you that on my truck, between the TSB fluid flush and updated transmission programming (I'm unsure if the programming was a part of the TSB or if my dealer's maintenance department is awesome), my shifting issues are solved for now.
The things I've noticed:
  • the transmission is quicker to decide on a gear when a downshift is needed
  • the TC is quicker to lock up after tip-in and let me use the throttle to dig into engine load and pull
  • trans is better about sticking above 1500 rpm at any sign of throttle
  • trans is better about sticking to 2000 rpm for moderate grades and pulling up hills
  • smoother all over.
  • I still wish this freaking thing would blip to rev-match when it makes an off-throttle downshift instead of letting the TC do the matching and upsetting the truck. I feel like a 15 year old with their learners permit when I can't brake smoothly because the transmission decided to hit on downshifts. I can heel-toe on a racetrack smoother in my Miata than this thing can casually brake in day to day driving.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts

We just went by out the door price. I liked both the Canyon and Colorado. In the end, even with the best incentives at the time and GM and dealer discounts, it was $3K to $5K less for the Colorado with the same options, features and equipment. . . and we got the exterior and interior colors we liked, towing, Luxury Pkg and Convenience Pkg. Didn't need ventilated butt seats, and the two or 3 other widgets Denali had.
In addition, we didn't like the limited exterior and interior color choices especially in Canyon Denali. Never quite understood why GMC limits things like color choices in Denali and charges more $$$$.

Reactions: 4x4fan

·
Registered
251 Posts
None of us are on GM's development or warranty teams so we cannot speak to any technical content with authority, but as with literally any product, there's going to be some percentage that don't perform properly. It appears (from my time cruising around the internet) that the newer models seem to shudder less than the 18's that were identified in the TSB, but I don't have good numbers to indicate whether that statement is correct or not.

I can tell you that on my truck, between the TSB fluid flush and updated transmission programming (I'm unsure if the programming was a part of the TSB or if my dealer's maintenance department is awesome), my shifting issues are solved for now.
The things I've noticed:
  • the transmission is quicker to decide on a gear when a downshift is needed
  • the TC is quicker to lock up after tip-in and let me use the throttle to dig into engine load and pull
  • trans is better about sticking above 1500 rpm at any sign of throttle
  • trans is better about sticking to 2000 rpm for moderate grades and pulling up hills
  • smoother all over.
  • I still wish this freaking thing would blip to rev-match when it makes an off-throttle downshift instead of letting the TC do the matching and upsetting the truck. I feel like a 15 year old with their learners permit when I can't brake smoothly because the transmission decided to hit on downshifts. I can heel-toe on a racetrack smoother in my Miata than this thing can casually brake in day to day driving.
Thanks for the insight!

21 - 36 of 36 Posts