Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if this has been covered - did a search and couldn't find anything

It sounds as though there are two different ways that one could install a set of rear blocks

1.) Taking wheel off, removing strut, and lowering axle, then installing normal way
2.) Raising truck, supporting the diff/rear axle, then simply lowering the axle a bit once the U-bolts are off to allow enough space to slide in block

Any recommendations for a truck newb? Don't want to do more wrenching than needed but also don't want to compromise safety

Appreciate the advice!

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
I did it like option #2.
The geometry is pretty much the same as all GM trucks, so you don't need a specific model to watch a vid on YouTube for a good how to. Just watch the brake line extension. And if you have new U bolts, with a bunch of threads left after tightening, cut them down to about 1" hanging out.

·
Super Moderator
4,056 Posts
#2 is fine but DO NOT remove the ubolts on both sides at the same time. Do one side at a time. The leaf springs hold the axle to the truck and if you remove both at the same time the whole axle assembly will flop around held only by the driveshaft and you'll struggle to get everything lined back up to reinstall the blocks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I made the mistake of removing the U Bolts from both sides (had a friend helping me, figured we'd each do one side). Do not make this mistake.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Try and make the u bolts as even as possible. It’s okay if they are a little off but if you can notice it standing next to the truck they need to be redone.

You may need an additional jack to help align things.

The U Bolts that come with these kits are usually garbage. Do not force them. Just go to a warehouse and get different ones.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts