Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any grille guards that look good on the Canyon? All the ones by Aries etc. I?ve found say they are for Canyons but clearly look like they were designedly for the Colorado. I know it will fit but looks bad. Any help? Also I have been wanting to buy ZR2 rock sliders but they are body mounted not frame mounted? Do they even work?

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
Are there any grille guards that look good on the Canyon? All the ones by Aries etc. I?ve found say they are for Canyons but clearly look like they were designedly for the Colorado. I know it will fit but looks bad. Any help? Also I have been wanting to buy ZR2 rock sliders but they are body mounted not frame mounted? Do they even work?
As far as the ZR2 Rock Sliders go, someone here jacked up his truck from different spots on the rock sliders to test them. They worked fine for him and didn't bend or get any damage. Maybe someone knows what thread the photos are in. I was impressed.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I’d research front bumpers so you can mount that winch that you’ll be buying in the future. :)

I had a WAAG grill guard many many years ago - but I honestly don’t know if they still make ‘em anymore. Loved it - it was pretty stout for a grill guard.

As for rock sliders - It depends on what you’re going to do with them. In my opinion, if you’re doing any rockcrawling or more extreme offroading - anything that’s mounted to the body of your truck isn’t meant for ‘rock sliding’ or jacking the truck up with. You should look into ones that are mounted to the frame and/or welded to frame.

I say that because I once had a set of tube steps - although, they were bolted to the frame...that I bent the **** out of while offroading. After that - went with square tube rock sliders welded to frame (angle iron/stitch welded) and they took a crapload of abuse and able to jack from.

·
Registered
119 Posts
While you might be able to gently jack up a truck with body-mounted sliders, you need frame-mounted sliders if you plan to actually use them for anything other than steps. I slammed down hard on a frame-mounted slider a few years ago when a spotter gave me bad directions. It bent the hell out of a slider...NO damage to the vehicle. You won't be able to do that with a body-mounted slider.

And since you seem to be worried about the sturdiness of sliders (which indicates you might actually use your truck off-road), grill guards and bull bars will totally trash your approach angle. Every one I've seen mounts to the tow hook attachment points and projects forward way too much. Putting a bull bar on my Canyon was the worst thing I've done to the vehicle. It was there only to mount a Rigid E2 Series LED bar. The front bottom of the bull bar slammed the ground numerous times on relatively mild trails. Two days ago, I finally removed the bull bar and replaced it with a bumper from Midwest Overland Industries. It was a pretty easy install...total bolt on...no cutting. It provides a secure mounting point for lights and can also handle a winch. Best of all, it doesn't wreck the approach angle.

The MOI bumper only replaces the center bottom part of the fascia. FabFours and Addictive Desert Designs make full bumpers for the Canyon, but they aren't cheap and at least one of them requires cutting the fascia. The MOI bumper was only $599. There's another thread in this section on the MOI bumper with several photos. I'll post some of my install in a couple of days.

It all depends on your reason for buying a grille guard. If you're concerned about striking a deer (or a bull), a grill guard could actually cause more damage. My bull bar pivoted back into the grill a couple of times when I smacked the bottom of it on rocks. Luckily, there was no damage. If I would have hit any harder, there would definitely have been grille damage.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
As far as the ZR2 Rock Sliders go, someone here jacked up his truck from different spots on the rock sliders to test them. They worked fine for him and didn't bend or get any damage. Maybe someone knows what thread the photos are in. I was impressed.
That was me. And I have used my sliders as sliders, and have been impressed. They have taken impacts hard enough to dent them with no damage to the truck.

I was initially very skeptical of them, and scoffed at the GM engineer on one of their videos saying he had been skeptical, but after using them they actually worked well. However, after using them, they really do work well. Yes, if you dropped the weight of the truck a foot and a half onto them you will probably start to see some flexing and damage, but for the kind of wheeling this truck can do in stock form, they are very good.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,051 Posts
moabite, I do not know of any sliders including the ZR2's that you can even use as steps unless being able to wedge a big toe on one is called a step...

·
Registered
119 Posts
moabite, I do not know of any sliders including the ZR2's that you can even use as steps unless being able to wedge a big toe on one is called a step...
I guess it depends on how big your feet are. I regularly use the steps on my N-Fab rails as actual steps to access the top of the Canyon. Unless your big toe is longer than 5 inches, you should have no problem.

But then you can always get into semantics...sliders vs rock rails vs nerf bars, etc. The nice thing about the N-Fabs is that the steps are easily removeable if you think you might be on a trail where you could use them as sliders. The only problem with the N-Fabs is that they are body-mounted, so you need to drive carefully and not slam down onto them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.