Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2018 ZR2 does anyone make a grab handle for the drivers side like the factory one on the passenger side

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
Not sure, but have heard some say that the Holden truck has grab handles on both sides. Do a Google search and you should find an answer.

Reactions: Toughsox

·
Registered
4 Posts
Okay boys and girls, I installed my own driver side grab handle for $12 dollars. I plan to get a better handle I was just trying this 2 dollar velcro strap out from Home Depot as part of the prototype. The key is not to interfere with the airbag. That is why GM did not do it from the factory. You don't want to bolt down the A-Pillar Trim piece because it will interfere with the airbag deployment. (Watch the crash test videos). The trim piece pops off during a crash. I used one bolt with a coupler-nut to get the attachment point out past the trim piece. The bolt is a carriage type that hits the frame so it does not allow the trim bracket to bend. There is a second nut on the carriage bolt on the backside of the upper trim bracket. The couple nut clams down on the trim bracket and the nut behind. I then screw into the coupler nut to attache the handle. I will drill a hole in the trim piece large enough to slide over the coupler nut and washers (3/4"). For the bottom I used an 1/8" thick L bracket I had laying around. I bolted the L bracket to the frame on the back side of the air bag attachment nut I slipped it in between the frame and the air bag so it puts stress on the frame and not the air bag. I will cut a a slit in the trim piece to accommodate the L bracket. It works so well I think my truck is now perfect!

I will post more pictures when I commit to the design, cut the holes in the trim piece and put the trim piece back on. Worst case I have to buy a new trim piece.

Step 1 is to get the Trim piece off. I started by getting my fingers under the outside edge between the rubber door seal and trim piece. Bend it out slightly and look in so you make certain you don't grab the airbag. You can get more fingers in from the backside between the window and trim towards the top where it meets the headliner. Then you just give it a good strong 'Yank' and it pops off.

Here are the pictures. I plan to order a jeep style handle but this works for now.
20190716_210621.jpg
20190716_210621.jpg
20190716_210621.jpg
20190716_210844.jpg
20190716_203334.jpg
20190716_203358.jpg
20190716_203444.jpg
20190716_210605.jpg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Would a Silverado grab handle fit the Colorado? Are the holes the same distance apart? (plastic parts can be trimmed)

·
Registered
446 Posts
Try it and let us know. I'd probably go the Holden route first, personally.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts