Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
16 Canyon SLT, V6, 4X4, Longbed, Cyber Metallic Gray
369 Posts
Nonsense. Who told you this, the Service Manager or one of the 'parts changers'?
Haha, aren't they all just parts changers anymore ?
Nobody wants to fix anything just throw new parts at it.

Away, your windshield wiper is streaking, have to change out the blades, arms, linkage and motor since it is one assembly, and new wiring harness. The cause of the faulty wiper was due to a exhaust hanger rusted and broke, so exhaust tapped the rearend which caused a shock through the truck to mess up the wipers, so we will have to change the rearend, exhaust, driveshaft.

Good news though with the lower pricing due to covid it will only cost $38,302.23 to fix your wiper

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
I thought it was a trans temp of 150° in 17+ to get accurate check on trans oil.
And 130° on 15-16
It's more about which transmission than which year. 130 degrees isn't mentioned anywhere for checking the level.

6L50 (pre-2017 V6, all diesel, all 2.5L 4cyl) - The transmission fluid level must be checked when the transmission fluid temperature (TFT) is between 30-50°C (86-122°F).
8L45 (2017-up V6 only) - The transmission fluid level must be checked when the transmission fluid temperature (TFT) is between 35–45°C (95–113°F).

·
Registered
11,517 Posts
It's more about which transmission than which year. 130 degrees isn't mentioned anywhere for checking the level.

6L50 (pre-2017 gas, all diesel) - The transmission fluid level must be checked when the transmission fluid temperature (TFT) is between 30-50°C (86-122°F).
8L45 (2017-up gas only) - The transmission fluid level must be checked when the transmission fluid temperature (TFT) is between 35–45°C (95–113°F).
Is my memory correct that the 4 cyl gasser also gets the 6 speed, all years?

·
Registered
4,251 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
You have it set on Celsius or what? This is important! I'm going to try mine today.
Like someone said this sounds familiar to that other thread. BUT he was towing up a hill IIRC.
How did it get low? Again someone said that and ???? It went 2 to 3 years (you didn't say miles) a quart low and then all of a sudden? Makes no sense...
I hope you don't have some other strange problem that caused this, time will tell.

Does our cooler have a bypass? Anyone know? I could see that happening, bypass stuck, overheats, spits out vent, bypass unsticks, now it's low a quart because it spit it out and it runs cool again until bypass sticks again. I hope we don't have one. Or at least the 2016 (like mine) doesn't. ;)
Actually I think when they did the Flush as part of the TSB, the overfilled it.
The front of the transmission pan wet (but would not leave a mark on the ground as if leaking)
Don't have a picture that shows it very well.

Dealership cleaned that and the under body of all the ATF that came out.
Thankfully it was not that bad as when the Transmission Coolant Lines went. From the Radiator back was covered with ATF....Including the tailgate.

The Service Department has always been a Pain in My Butt. Only went to this dealer to buy my Colorado, due to my work schedule, I could not get to my usual one in New Jersey.

·
Premium Member
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Since sadly it seems that the Tech and the Service Writer at the Dealership forgot that I would be talking US measurements.
It would of been funny when they wanted to know what my Engine Temp was. I said "Normal".....They would of crapped their pants if I told the 195-200 degrees.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Actually I think when they did the Flush as part of the TSB, the overfilled it.
The front of the transmission pan wet (but would not leave a mark on the ground as if leaking)
Don't have a picture that shows it very well.

Dealership cleaned that and the under body of all the ATF that came out.
Thankfully it was not that bad as when the Transmission Coolant Lines went. From the Radiator back was covered with ATF....Including the tailgate.

The Service Department has always been a Pain in My Butt. Only went to this dealer to buy my Colorado, due to my work schedule, I could not get to my usual one in New Jersey.
This makes sense.
Trannys don't puke out the vent because they are a little low, they do when overfull and/or overheated.

·
Premium Member
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
This makes sense.
Trannys don't puke out the vent because they are a little low, they do when overfull and/or overheated.
They said possible aeration of the ATF caused it to over heat.

"Aeration is created by air bubbles entering the transmission lines and mixing with the fluid. If there is too much transmission fluid, then air can leak into the system when the car runs and develop air bubbles in the solution. These bubbles travel throughout the transmission system and interfere with the effectiveness of the fluid, giving the transmission components enough air to cause friction and create damage.

Overheating
Close up of transmission.
As the air bubbles gather in the transmission fluid, the transmission cannot transfer heat as easily, and the heat from its moving parts is localized in areas where friction occurs. This, combined with the oxygen from the air, can burn the transmission fluid. Owners can smell and see the brown color of the burnt transmission fluid, which will require replacing all the transmission fluid in the automobile.
Pressure Problems
Repairman with tool.
Pressure problems occur when transmission lines overfilled and exert too much pressure against the seals that are meant to contain the fluid. These seals are designed to contain a full tank of fluid, not an overfull tank. Too much fluid and the seals will start to rupture, causing fluid leaks which many owners respond to by filling the tank again and making the problem worse.
Vent Leaking
Leak on asphalt.
Vent leaking occurs when the tank is too full of transmission fluid, and the fluid begins to leak out of the vents designed to allow air to flow through the system. This blocks necessary air and may show up as a leaking problem when the tank is actually overflowing."

Problems With Over-filling the Transmission Fluid

This pretty much sums up what happened to my transmission if you ask me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
On Monday I was on the way to work. My 2017 Z71 Extended Cab 4WD V6 had different plans:
While driving Highway speed, saw puff of smoke from behind. Pulled over to see what was going on.
Popped the Hood, Looked good. Looked underneath and this is what I saw:
View attachment 394506

Waited 2 hours and Chevy Roadside failed to assign me a tow. So I started to drive it to the dealer myself.
I started out at a Transmission Temp of 131 degrees by the time it climbed to 150 degrees as I pulled into there lot.
Truck was ready by Wednesday Afternoon, I picked it Thursday afternoon.
Dealership asked me about the Engine Temperature, since that was normal (Cooling System was working)

The transmission leaked from vent hose.
Transmission was a quart low.

Things I learned from the dealer.
1) Our Transmissions do not like heat. Temperatures over 130 degrees considered hot for the transmission
2) If the ATF gets a little low it can get aerated and have increase chance of boiling

Really makes me wish these transmission has a dipstick, so the fluid level and quality could be checked
I have a 2016 diesel 4x4. New tranny at 30k.😡🤬🤮

·
Registered
2 Posts
On Monday I was on the way to work. My 2017 Z71 Extended Cab 4WD V6 had different plans:
While driving Highway speed, saw puff of smoke from behind. Pulled over to see what was going on.
View attachment 394506

Waited 2 hours and Chevy Roadside failed to assign me a tow. So I started to drive it to the dealer myself.
I started out at a Transmission Temp of 131 degrees by the time it climbed to 150 degrees as I pulled into there lot.
Dealership asked me about the Engine Temperature, since that was normal (Cooling System was working)

1) Our Transmissions do not like heat. Temperatures over 130 degrees considered hot for the transmission
2) If the ATF gets a little low it can get aerated and have increase chance of boiling

Really makes me wish these transmission has a dipstick, so the fluid level and quality could be checked

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did the techs check the transfer case fluid level? I lost over a quart of transmission fluid into my transfer case on my previous truck, a Chevy Silverado. The rear transmission seal had failed and the fluid had filled up the transfer case. Just a thought..

·
Registered
10 Posts
View attachment 394506

That can't be right. I own a 2016 Colorado 4X4 with the baby Max and my normal operating temp here in Southern Cal is around 180 on warm days and a little higher on hotter days. Off roading I'm typically running around low 200's. I have a hair over 140K on the engine and changed out the tranny oil once. I've asked the service guys about the high temps and they tell me it's fine. These trannies tend to run a little warm. I have asked what the critical range was for the tranny temp, but no one seemed to know the exact number. Anyone know? I've heard of people getting a larger tranny oil pan and that's helped keep the temp down a little. I think that if you stick by the "130 degrees" range you may not be driving your truck around much. That oil is just warming up.

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
That can't be right. I own a 2016 Colorado 4X4 with the baby Max and my normal operating temp here in Southern Cal is around 180 on warm days and a little higher on hotter days. Off roading I'm typically running around low 200's. I have a hair over 140K on the engine and changed out the tranny oil once. I've asked the service guys about the high temps and they tell me it's fine. These trannies tend to run a little warm. I have asked what the critical range was for the tranny temp, but no one seemed to know the exact number. Anyone know? I've heard of people getting a larger tranny oil pan and that's helped keep the temp down a little. I think that if you stick by the "130 degrees" range you may not be driving your truck around much. That oil is just warming up.
Yes, the answer was given in this thread. Just keep on reading, you'll get to it. :)

21 - 34 of 34 Posts