Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Monday I was on the way to work. My 2017 Z71 Extended Cab 4WD V6 had different plans:
While driving Highway speed, saw puff of smoke from behind. Pulled over to see what was going on.
Popped the Hood, Looked good. Looked underneath and this is what I saw:
Tranny Bad Day.jpg

Waited 2 hours and Chevy Roadside failed to assign me a tow. So I started to drive it to the dealer myself.
I started out at a Transmission Temp of 131 degrees by the time it climbed to 150 degrees as I pulled into there lot.
Truck was ready by Wednesday Afternoon, I picked it Thursday afternoon.
Dealership asked me about the Engine Temperature, since that was normal (Cooling System was working)

The transmission leaked from vent hose.
Transmission was a quart low.

Things I learned from the dealer.
1) Our Transmissions do not like heat. Temperatures over 130 degrees considered hot for the transmission
2) If the ATF gets a little low it can get aerated and have increase chance of boiling

Really makes me wish these transmission has a dipstick, so the fluid level and quality could be checked

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Have you had it serviced before?

Your story sounds similar to this other thread, and it was caused by an OVERFILLED transmission (after being serviced)

Also, some others on here have said they get their trans temps to 200 with no issues.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Over 130 is considered hot? My transmission temp runs about that just driving, in the 160's when towing. 130 seems like a low number to me. Of course mine is the 6 speed so it may have different maximums.

·
Registered
2010 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab 4x4 Z71 V8
676 Posts
I’m assuming yours was a little low then puked out the vent?

How did it get low in the first place?

Reactions: White016

·
Registered
11,519 Posts
Are we talking 130 deg F or C?

Heck, I have driven when the air temp here in Texas was 112 deg F and the temperature on the road as displayed by my vehicle was 118 deg F. At those temps, no way are you going to keep your trans temp below 130 deg F.

130 deg C = 266 deg F. That may be about right for synthetic transmission fluid.

·
Registered
320 Posts
...Things I learned from the dealer.
1) Our Transmissions do not like heat. Temperatures over 130 degrees considered hot for the transmission...
Nonsense. Who told you this, the Service Manager or one of the 'parts changers'?

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Nonsense. Who told you this, the Service Manager or one of the 'parts changers'?
I'd be skeptical of that too. 130 is barely warm. It's certainly not the fluid that wouldn't take that temperature, and if GM put parts in that couldn't take that temp it would be almost criminal.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
130 is only 30 degrees above ambient right now in Texas. Manual transmissions get hotter than that. Maybe he meant 230, which would be very hot.
That's still not that hot, but those transmissions do run cooler than the 6 speeds and it would be a good explanation. People often misspeak, and being off by 100 would not be unheard of.

·
Premium Member
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My guess is that when they did they TSB for the shudder a before that might of over filled it.

Problems With Over-filling the Transmission Fluid

As far as the Transmission Temperature, remember it was not hauling anything and has coolant lines.
I have kept my display on Transmission Temperature since this all happened. Driving home from work, watched it climb to 120 degrees Fahrenheit and then would bounce between that and 118 degrees.

It was a 90+ Humid day when all of this happened.
I have usually only seen seen transmission temperatures of a maximum of 126. So, I do see what they are saying.

But, I would believe, that while towing the transmission temperature should get warmer than that. (It is working harder)
Also, is temperatures above 100 degrees, same would apply since the cooling system would be working harder.

Does anyone know where the sensor is that reads the temperature of the Transmission Fluid?

·
Registered
11,519 Posts
Back in June, 2015, I towed a vehicle from DFW to Shreveport on one of the U-Haul tow-wheel dollies. Total load was ~4500 pounds or so. Note that this was June in North Texas, but as far as temperatures go, I remember it was cooler than typical and overcast. This was what I wrote in my review of that tow, in regards to transmission temperatures:

I checked this several times on the drive to Shreveport, frankly did not check it much on the return because the temps going were great. At constant highway speeds, temp was about 145 degrees. On hard climbs, etc. it might rise to 150 degrees. I did notice once I reached Shreveport and was catching every red light, the temperature went up to 160 degrees, but as soon as I hit a stretch of road for a mile or two without lights, it came right back down to the low 150s.

I might should add, this is of course the 6-speed.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I just got back from a trip to downtown Houston, 25 miles on way mostly freeway. Outside temp shows 92 degrees (cooler than normal). After the truck was fully up to temp, my trans temps fluctuated between 141 and 147 on my way home. That's on a 2020 Z71 3.6L v6 with just over 3000 miles.

That temp looks pretty normal to me for this truck/transmission. I have had transmission temp gauges on the last 3 trucks, of course they were 3/4 or ton diesels so no apples to apples, but 145 would have been when they started up. Normal unloaded would be between 165-200.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
The service writer clearly either missed that "C" after "130C" or doesn't know what that means, because 130F is absolutely, 100%, without a doubt not hot at all for this or ANY transmission. GM has printed documents stating that the trans temp warning doesn't trigger until like 274F or so.

Most scan tools and service manuals use C because it's more universal for global parts, F is only used by a few countries in the world. So when someone says a temp that is implausible in F you have to assume it's in C. This is such a case. This is also why I loathe most service writers, they are parrots that don't know what they're saying or why what they say is often times nonsense.

So, moral of the story is don't blindly trust what service writers tell you and if something sounds wrong then it probably is. 130F being hot is wrong.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Direct from GM stating that 132C is when the temp warning comes on, as such saying 130 degrees is hot is true...but it's 100% in celcius. The below applies to all "6L" transmissions including our 6L50.

"TRANSMISSION HOT IDLE ENGINE"

This message is displayed when the TCM detects a transmission fluid temperature (TFT) equal to or greater than 132-degrees Celcius or 270-degrees Fahrenheit for 5 seconds.

·
Registered
6,426 Posts
On Monday I was on the way to work. My 2017 Z71 Extended Cab 4WD V6 had different plans:
While driving Highway speed, saw puff of smoke from behind. Pulled over to see what was going on.
Popped the Hood, Looked good. Looked underneath and this is what I saw:
View attachment 394506

Waited 2 hours and Chevy Roadside failed to assign me a tow. So I started to drive it to the dealer myself.
I started out at a Transmission Temp of 131 degrees by the time it climbed to 150 degrees as I pulled into there lot.
Truck was ready by Wednesday Afternoon, I picked it Thursday afternoon.
Dealership asked me about the Engine Temperature, since that was normal (Cooling System was working)

The transmission leaked from vent hose.
Transmission was a quart low.

1) Our Transmissions do not like heat. Temperatures over 130 degrees considered hot for the transmission
2) If the ATF gets a little low it can get aerated and have increase chance of boiling

Really makes me wish these transmission has a dipstick, so the fluid level and quality could be checked
You have it set on Celsius or what? This is important! I'm going to try mine today.
Like someone said this sounds familiar to that other thread. BUT he was towing up a hill IIRC.
How did it get low? Again someone said that and ???? It went 2 to 3 years (you didn't say miles) a quart low and then all of a sudden? Makes no sense...
I hope you don't have some other strange problem that caused this, time will tell.

Does our cooler have a bypass? Anyone know? I could see that happening, bypass stuck, overheats, spits out vent, bypass unsticks, now it's low a quart because it spit it out and it runs cool again until bypass sticks again. I hope we don't have one. Or at least the 2016 (like mine) doesn't. ;)

·
Registered
16 Canyon SLT, V6, 4X4, Longbed, Cyber Metallic Gray
384 Posts
Kudos for pulling over to take a look, seems like that is rare anymore.

And 130 degrees is considered hot for this trans by dealer.
If a dealer told me that when I was buying I wouldn't have bought (if that was true)

I thought it was a trans temp of 150° in 17+ to get accurate check on trans oil.
And 130° on 15-16

1 - 20 of 34 Posts