Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I was recently in a collision and rear ended someone with my ‘19 z71 midnight. The damage isn’t too bad but the tow hooks got flattened down. That has me worried about frame damage to the truck. Was curious to get opinions if anyone thinks it may be a total loss.

Tia

Attachments

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Why not have a body shop look at it. I doubt there is any frame damage, unless you hit something hard. Usually the tow hooks are designed to bed in that scenario.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I agree that you should get it checked out. That said, if the frame is bent with type of accident, I sure would not buy another Colorado.

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
It would not take much for the tow hooks to be flattened, since they are mounted to a slotted hole, that lets them swivel up/down for correct alignment when being installed. Really do not see how you could have frame damage since it does not look like the grille even got into the radiator/condenser.

·
Registered
383 Posts
My father hit a Mazda 3 that made an illegal left turn in front of him when he was doing 40ish and did $20k+ damage to his brand new Colorado. Lots of damage and totaled the Mazda. Thankfully no one was in the passenger side of it. They fixed his truck since it was brand new and because there was no structural or frame damage. I’m pretty sure your frame is fine.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Odds are good it is ok. But a good body shop will have a surface plate that could measure it and fix it should it be damaged in a hidden spot.

We had a truck that got hit at work. It bent the frame horns but they were straightened a new clip installed and that truck went on for many more miles.

The bottom line is just get it checked And remove all doubt.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Guessing you were at fault (e.g. rear-ended another vehicle) so...no insurance claim/repair estimate being worked?

IMO, the only way to tell & take 'er into a body shop f/ assessment.

·
Registered
684 Posts
The Grille the Hood and Bumper Cover are not cheap, but that is what appears to be the damage from the picture. The Grille is broken but not smashed backwards. Go to a good body shop get an estimate and I believe you well be surprised in the lack of actual damage. Still going to be a decent penny to fix.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I rear-ended someone this summer. (First accident that was my fault in my life) My damage was a little lower than yours, but it seems to be in the ball park of yours. There was no frame damage. Just a LOT of little plastic pieces that had to be replaced. I think you're OK.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
My fall 2018 deer hit didn't show a ton of damage, but ended up being close to $2.5K when everything was settled. I'm still fixing one small issue w/ bumper, but shop has 100% lifetime guarantee on their work & no-questions about repeat visits. Like I said, best to have a pro take a look...

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
Oh yea, tell your wife that you are going to have to buy a new truck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys, I've been busy and didn't even have time to look into how those tow hooks installed. Seeing those was my only concern since I know they are tied to the frame, but it seems from the estimate it's all A-OK. At this point I'm more worried about getting a stock z71 grille back on it instead of my midnight lol. We'll find out in about a week!

·
Registered
684 Posts
[At this point I'm more worried about getting a stock z71 grille back on it instead of my midnight lol
Your insurance company is supposed to pay to return it to the same condition before the accident.
When my 01 Tahoe was hit. I used that time to upgrade from the chrome grille to the Z71 grille, also put the Good Hood on it.
The price of the Grille worked out the same for the Z71 (gets painted) compared to the chrome grille.
I told the repair shop not to buy the hood (use the money to my deductable and I supplied the Hood.
This is the after:
MVC-002F.JPG

1 - 18 of 18 Posts