Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a 2016 owner I'm jealous. The base 17 feels better than my tuned 16. The shifting is night and day better. It just feels so responsive compared to mine. Now I'm even more mad at Chevy.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
As a 2016 owner I'm jealous. The base 17 feels better than my tuned 16. The shifting is night and day better. It just feels so responsive compared to mine. Now I'm even more mad at Chevy.

Never drove a 2015/16. I looked at a few 2016s still on the lot with a good price. So thanks for making me look like the "smart kid on the block" by buying a new 2017 vs 2016 leftover. I've been very happy with the responsiveness of my 2017 Z71.

Time for a trade up to a new 2018?

Gusto

·
Registered
7 Posts
I went from a Subaru Forester to a 2017 Z71 Colorado. And have noticed the trany has a very pronounced klunk when it down shifts into first gear. It may feel very pronounced to me because I have been driving a CVT transmission for four years. Have you noticed this hard shift?

·
Registered
2019 GMC Canyon All Terrain
2,023 Posts
I went from a Subaru Forester to a 2017 Z71 Colorado. And have noticed the trany has a very pronounced klunk when it down shifts into first gear. It may feel very pronounced to me because I have been driving a CVT transmission for four years. Have you noticed this hard shift?
GM truck transmissions clunk when going from P to D....it is known.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have noticed it... its just the transmission, just down shifting when it thinks its the right time but its not. Autos that arent CVT's tend to do that in my experience. My tundra does it occasionally and my camry did it too. OR do you mean from p to d? like the other guy said its GM truck transmission.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Never drove a 2015/16. I looked at a few 2016s still on the lot with a good price. So thanks for making me look like the "smart kid on the block" by buying a new 2017 vs 2016 leftover. I've been very happy with the responsiveness of my 2017 Z71.

Time for a trade up to a new 2018?

Gusto
No I plan on keeping this thing for 8-10 years. I still love my truck.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
If you want to really experience a transmission " CluNK " !

Get a Harley Davidson.:grin2:

Everything else will seem smooth as silk . . .

·
Registered
209 Posts
Like Butter

I don't (or haven't) noticed any "clunk" at all in any situation. Occasionally I can feel it drop into first, but nothing that I would consider a "clunk". Same for P to D. Nothing noticeable. Now the 2015 Silverado (4.3 & 6 speed auto) that I drive at work, yes, definitely clunks P to D and regularly exhibits wonky shifting.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am still getting used to this 8 speed auto. Sometimes it seems sloppy to me especially when I gun it then when I reach speed back my foot off the accelerator. It seems like the tranny shutters. Maybe I will get used to it. Hope so.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm curious how different it is. My 2016 seems like it has to think about what gear it needs to be in. My last car was a 2011 Camaro with a 6 speed manual so I have not driven an automatic regularly for a while and this is my first truck so I thought this was just how trucks are geared, maybe not.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
My 17 is smooth.

The only off thing is when you first start out on a rare occasion it will down shift from second to first hard like it can’t decide where it wants to be. It also only happens when it is cold from sitting.

The down shift when warm when you step on it is smooth. You do feel it but all normal automatics have a thunk to the.

My father inlaws truck is so firm it will chirp the tires if you are on the gas hard.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I'm afraid that if I drive one I'll like it too much and need to buy it! My 6speed auto isn't as bad as some people seem to have it. I've driven some crap autos. Try driving Fords DCT. That was a nightmare. I do wish it had a stick though...

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm curious how different it is. My 2016 seems like it has to think about what gear it needs to be in. My last car was a 2011 Camaro with a 6 speed manual so I have not driven an automatic regularly for a while and this is my first truck so I thought this was just how trucks are geared, maybe not.
Night and day. Like I knew our tranny's weren't great but man. I removed the tune off my truck since I was taking it to the dealer so it was completely stock. I would want to try switching between my tuned 16 and the stock 17 to see how much of a difference then. There's still a small hesitation when accelerating from a complete stop but it's very small. It reminded me of my old chevy truck with a 383 and a mild stall converter. Short hesitation then immediate power. Smooth through the rest of the gears. Again, not enough to trade my 16 but damn Chevy.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Mine does it bad and not just down into 1st, it's everywhere. Dealers have been useless, seriously thinking on dumping this turd. This IMO is worse than the 15 & 16 chuggle. Good Luck with yours!

Reactions: Ikon99

·
Registered
207 Posts
Mine does it bad and not just down into 1st, it's everywhere. Dealers have been useless, seriously thinking on dumping this turd. This IMO is worse than the 15 & 16 chuggle. Good Luck with yours!
My ZR2 is horrible. But if I drive in tow/haul mode then it fixes most of the issues so I know it is mostly programming. Dealers were no help either. Purchased the Trifecta tune and will install it Saturday....hoping it fixes the issues. I just don't understand how some trucks are flawless and then others like ours have so many transmission issues. The programming should all be the same, and so are mechanical components so I don't get what is differing from one truck to the next.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My 2017 loaner is why I now own a 2017... Luckily, they didn't hurt me too bad on the trade of my 2016. I still think I will add the Trifecta Tune to refine the 8 speed transmission. It still tends to get confused at really slow speeds, mostly parking lots.

·
Registered
11,493 Posts
I find the transmission issues interesting. I think my 0-60 times would meet or beat my 20-60 times because of the shift patterns.

Reactions: MV10

·
Registered
458 Posts
My ZR2 is horrible. But if I drive in tow/haul mode then it fixes most of the issues so I know it is mostly programming. Dealers were no help either. Purchased the Trifecta tune and will install it Saturday....hoping it fixes the issues. I just don't understand how some trucks are flawless and then others like ours have so many transmission issues. The programming should all be the same, and so are mechanical components so I don't get what is differing from one truck to the next.
The tow/haul mode does help mine some, but mine is still partially mechanical.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.