Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. will acquire fellow Ohio-based tire manufacturer Cooper Tire & Rubber Co. for approximately $2.8 billion in a cash and stock transaction, the companies announced in a joint press release. Goodyear said it expects the acquisition to enhance its product offering, especially in the light truck and SUV segments, and offer an array of short-term and long-term financial benefits.

Good or bad?... discuss.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
"Goodyear said it expects the acquisition to enhance its product offering, in the light truck and SUV segments, "

cause right now it does not have much and Cooper has lots of different branded suv/at/mud tires

Reactions: White016

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I like my Coopers... My last 3 sets of truck tires I have purchased have been Coopers

Didn't care for the stock GY that came on my Canyon. I swapped them out in 2 days

·
Registered
7,884 Posts
I don't think this will affect me at all, I doubt I will buy Coopers or Goodyears ever again....

Reactions: AnimatedDirt

·
Registered
2018 Chevrolet Colorado V6 Crew Cab Long Bed
689 Posts
Sadly Cooper will no longer be it’s own entity.
An American company buying an American company is a good thing,
as long as Goodyear doesn’t sell it to someone overseas.

·
Registered
'21 Z71
79 Posts
I was slightly upset that my '21 Colorado came with Goodyear tires. Ever since this past year in which the Goodyear company decided that it would support the political group BLM, ( I don't support BLM, the entity, but I'm in full support of the words themselves apart from the movement ), I'm making a conscious effort to never buy anything that supports that company as long as it promotes the BLM MOVEMENT. Cooper, sadly, is now on that "avoid" list.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I expect OEM tires will still be Goodyear. Will the Cooper name remain as a line of Goodyear? I expect so, but one never knows how a merger will be handled. Like Eagle wiring devices, now a part of Eaton. The venerable brand is now well-hidden.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
This will be good as the needs for both will be addressed.

Goodyear will gain and double market share for tires sold for OE on cars built in China. Cooper will gain more outlets by being sold by any and all Goodyear dealers.

Initially the plans are to keep the plants and employs of Operations in tact. Cooper will gain access to the great R&D that Goodyear has. Much of the leadership and engineering at Cooper will merge into the Akron headquarters.

The private lines of both companies will also remain intact. Avon, Mastercraft, Mickey Thompson and Dick Ciepek are just some of the private brands Cooper makes. This will compliment Lee, Kelly Springfield, Dunlop and others Goodyear owns.

This should also help Akron as Goodyear has committed to the city long term and just built a new headquarters here as Firestone, BFG, Uniroyal and General all were bought out by foreign companies. All left accept a couple still keeping R&D and some racing tires here.

Now as for Goodyear’s response to the political pressure...they muffed it Is an understatement. Many here in town were not please in how they bowed to the cancel culture. The reality is many companies, sports and other public organizations are really running afraid Of the cancel culture. There are a few trying to stand up to the pressure but are getting blasted for doing it. But that is another topic for another thread.

·
Registered
2018 cclb 2wd WT V6 sold 2020
39 Posts
I hope jobs stay for those of you affected and the USA. Just another big company eating another, seems like we are in another age(think early 1900s) of a few big companies is better than many separate profitable companies. I like a variety/options and employed Americans. Btw, I would never own either brand tires, I’d gladly save up for something else.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Had issues with Goodyear tires many years ago and have boycotted them since (along with family members) . Even cost a dealer a sale. Too bad I've Coopers and now won't buy another.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Had issues with Goodyear tires many years ago and have boycotted them since (along with family members) . Even cost a dealer a sale. Too bad I've Coopers and now won't buy another.
why you boycotting family members? j/k :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Da Grouch

·
Registered
861 Posts
why you boycotting family members? j/k :ROFLMAO:
You can't tell me that you don't have family members you really want to boycott...;)

Reactions: Da Grouch

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
You can't tell me that you don't have family members you really want to boycott...;)
Not immediatly family, we are all friends along with their spouses. We have great relations with our cousins also and cousins kids etc....family reunions are so much fun. Usually we will take a poll on who wants to go fishing on Sunday, and then depending on how many, how many of us need to bring their boats...
Maybe it's because nobody drinks nor smokes and no attitudes from those making 30k a year to those making a lot a year.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Cooper owns Avon motorcycle tires. I heard they also own Micky Thompson
that is probably why the MT Deegans are on the recall as other made cooper tires

1 - 17 of 17 Posts