Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well at the tender age of 46 I will be getting a full hip replacement tomorrow 2/19 around 9:00 CST.
So here's what the Surgeon is going to do. Cut me open on the side of my leg by the hip joint.
Then use clamps to pry back my skin and leg muscles to open up a work area.

A) Dislocate the old hip. Then use a power saw to cut the old Hip Ball from the Leg Bone.
B) Take a power reamer and cut out an opening for the new Hip Socket.
C) File out the center of the leg bone to match the tampered pattern of the New Stem.
D) Beat New Stem into the hollowed out leg bone. Glue and screw the new Socket into place.
E) Glue everything together, release the clamps, sew me back up, put some dressing on and pump me full of dope.

Piece of cake. Wish me luck. See you guys later. :(

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Wow. Best wishes to you for the surgery and the rehab/recovery afterwards. Hopefully the hospital gets wireless signal ;)

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
A guy I work with had that surgery done about 3 months ago, he said it was the best thing he could have ever done. His hip still bothers him every once in a while but not nearly as bad as it used to.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Wishing you a fast recovery, I bet you will be on here more until you can move around more, the last diagram E would scare me (Glued and screwed)
:lol:

I guess we can add you to the old fart club, JK, :) get well soon

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Good luck and hope the surgery will get you movin'!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Good luck. I'm leaving for the hospital myself in 5 minutes for a procedure. I haven't been able to eat in two days due to it! I can't wait to eat tonight after it's over!!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Wish you a very successfull surgery. Don't sweat it, I have had 2 total hips and 1 total hip revision and am on 6 month watch for 2nd revision (wearing out). I have never been sorry about getting rid of the arthritis. I have had 2 total knees also.

I iwas never in the hospital more than 3 1/2 days except for the revision in which I had some nerve damage requiring longer recovery.

Look out for those nurses... LOL

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Hope your recovery is speedy and the PT is as painless as possible...chicks dig scars anyways!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Good luck everyone I know that has it done loves it.

If it makes you feel any better I'm 27 and looking at knee replacement in my right knee in the next 5-7 years and the left one 7-10 years. the docs got me on the cartlidge injection now. Started at teh tender age of 12 I tore my acl in both knees at the same time playing soccer, coming down from a jump. Anyway I agravated it through highschool by playing more, not taking car of them and so on...

·
Registered
294 Posts
Best of luck to you. I am a MRI /CAT scan tech But also did a lot of ortho work in the O.R. (5yrs) with a portable fluoroscopy (x-ray) unit. I've been three feet from these procedures being done...It's really cool how they do the hips and esp. the knee replacements. All air tools as you can sterilize them.
Looks like a lot of air tools we would use in our own garages. saws/ reamers/ air chisels. screwdrivers etc. It's like human carpentry. Fascinating stuff!. Just do your physical therapy like religion, and don't get discouraged. You're young for this procedure for sure, but on the bright side your recovery should be much faster than a 60-80 yr. old. remember... don't bend past 90 deg. and no crossing the legs for a while. The post op pain doesn't usually last that long, and by the time you read this you're prob glad you had it done. Prob hurts less already.. Keep us posted.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts