Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, i've pretty much narrowed my search down to the GFC as the perfect solution for my truck needs. This is what i like:

-Aluminum construction, so it's on the lightweight, strong side
-Allows to leave on the truck and use the truck bed as normal, which i would do 90% of the time
-strong enough mount stuff to the roof of it
-perfect design to get into the rooftop tent from inside the bed with the modular panels.
- i like the aesthetic look to it

here is what i dont like:

-the price is kind of high ($7K)
-the lead time is LONG. they are predicting if you order now, they should START production in Spring 2022

So, who here has a GFC installed?
What are other alternatives that replicate my "like" list above?

Registered
2016 CCLB Mini-Max Diesel
Those GFCs are super cool, no question.

We have been trying to figure out a similar solution for our new-to-us Colorado. We decided that the GFC is awesome, but the cost and the lead time rules it out for us. We're also going to pass on the rooftop tent/bed rack combo because of how some of the compromises with those systems match up with our lifestyle.

What we're thinking of doing is going with a traditional mid-rise camper shell, and then adding the topperlift kit to it. Check out page 5 or 6 of @RKTROY 's excellent build thread for what this looks like on a Colorado. The cost for this route is still high, (+/- $5k with a shell spec'ed the way we want, the topperlift kit, and everything shipped and installed) and the lead time is still around 3 months.

There are going to be compromises whichever way you/we go, be they functional, price, or timeline 馃檭

But I'd love to hear what others have to say on this topic, as it sounds like we're in similar boats!

Registered
The only other alternatives to the GFC, cost more, and many of them are much much more. To get to a lower price point and still meet the strength and lighter weight, look into one of the stainless topper like RLD or RSI and get a lighter weight roof top tent, like GFC's superlite. I'm still waiting on my RLD Canopy, but that's the route I decided to go as it's cheaper and lighter than the canopy campers.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, i think the thing i like the most about the GFC system is you can stand in the bed and have it open to the tent/sleeping area - which probably makes a big difference in the "living space" in foul weather. i think i'm just going to have to bite the bullet and go for it.

Registered
The biggest complaint of the GFC is that you need to remove and set aside, a cushion AND a part of the platform to access the "tent". If you are less than limber, that is going to be a chore from the tent. Not a huge deal if you are trying to enter.

One of my friends had his heart set on one, even had a deposit down for months. He came across a Super Pacific camper and cancelled his GFC order, because you dont have to remove anything. That, and the build quality of the SP was far superior. He also watched a video of a new SP owner calling out all the GFC's shortcomings that the SP fixes.

Registered
2016 CCLB Mini-Max Diesel
you can stand in the bed and have it open to the tent/sleeping area - which probably makes a big difference in the "living space" in foul weather.
Oh yeah, that's absolutely a cool feature. The skier Cody Townsend does a good walkthrough of the GFC on his Ranger:

He came across a Super Pacific camper
I haven't heard of these, I'll have to look into it!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The biggest complaint of the GFC is that you need to remove and set aside, a cushion AND a part of the platform to access the "tent". If you are less than limber, that is going to be a chore from the tent. Not a huge deal if you are trying to enter.

One of my friends had his heart set on one, even had a deposit down for months. He came across a Super Pacific camper and cancelled his GFC order, because you dont have to remove anything. That, and the build quality of the SP was far superior. He also watched a video of a new SP owner calling out all the GFC's shortcomings that the SP fixes.
Those SP do look nice, but oof, another $2500. i still think in concept, i like the GFC format better.

Registered
There are a bunch of other players in the game.

Super Pacific, like I mentioned
Vagabond Drifter
Adventure Trailers (AT Overland) - several models
-Habitat
-Summit
-Atlas
Snap Outfitters Treehouse
OVRLND
AluCab Canopy Camper
4WC Project M
Hiatus Campers - hardwall pop-up camper
TrailFort

Registered
Those SP do look nice, but oof, another $2500. i still think in concept, i like the GFC format better.
If you are seriously considering any of those options, your pinky is already out. May as well get the one that BEST fits your needs. Nothing worse than spending $7000 to find something annoying.

I would highly recommend attending an "Overland" expo or show and get up inside one of those GFC's. Hell, even if you meet someone on a trail with one, see if you can pop in. Most folks are very eager to show off their expensive tent and will let you get in it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, I'll look into some of those options.

I have to say that some of the prices of these things are simply outrageous. This one for example is $11k. The design is so basic that there is no way $11k is justified here, but i guess outdoors stuff has exploded so well during the pandemic some of these companies can charge whatever they want and maintain a backorder. Maybe i need a career change, i can weld!!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you are seriously considering any of those options, your pinky is already out. May as well get the one that BEST fits your needs. Nothing worse than spending $7000 to find something annoying.

I would highly recommend attending an "Overland" expo or show and get up inside one of those GFC's. Hell, even if you meet someone on a trail with one, see if you can pop in. Most folks are very eager to show off their expensive tent and will let you get in it.
this i 100% agree with

Registered
2019 Colorado LT
I just saw on Instagram that this company has one ready to ship next week? I dont know anything about them and its a pop up style. Interesting timing.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Registered
I just saw on Instagram that this company has one ready to ship next week? I dont know anything about them and its a pop up style. Interesting timing.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
They are pretty bare bones. Not worth the asking price, IMO. The interior comes raw and exposed like a contractor shell. It's an even more basic design than the Treehouse, but a full pop-up like 4WC.

The 4WC Project M is the closest competitor starting at $9300. And 4WC has decades of reputation behind their product.

Also, "accidentally built" means someone backed out of the purchase. You don't accidentally make a camper. Lots of communication happens before building begins.

Registered
2019 GMC Canyon
The part that amazes me is that even at those price points they just keep selling.
I can鈥檛 speak for all manufacturers but Alu-Cab goes out the door as fast as it comes in.

Registered
OK, i've pretty much narrowed my search down to the GFC as the perfect solution for my truck needs. This is what i like:

-Aluminum construction, so it's on the lightweight, strong side
-Allows to leave on the truck and use the truck bed as normal, which i would do 90% of the time
-strong enough mount stuff to the roof of it
-perfect design to get into the rooftop tent from inside the bed with the modular panels.
- i like the aesthetic look to it

here is what i dont like:

-the price is kind of high ($7K)
-the lead time is LONG. they are predicting if you order now, they should START production in Spring 2022

So, who here has a GFC installed?
What are other alternatives that replicate my "like" list above?
I know a person that has a reserved spot that has an estimated time of August if you are interested. I can get you in contact with her to buy the spot.

Another option is the RLD Designs topper. 700lb dynamic load IIRC.

Registered
Can I throw a possible wrench into this idea? How about an offroading trailer?

These small trucks have a max payload of about 1500lb for standard colorados with the V6 and only 1250lb if you are running a ZR2. But the towing capacity is much much higher. GFCs are like 300-ish-lb. So that leaves you 1000-1200lb of people and gear. If you are like me and want to bring a dirt bike along, that weight adds up quick. A trailer also keeps the CG lower on your truck if you plan on going offroad.

There are plenty of offroad trailer brands. I went with a 4x6 Jumping Jack with brakes and an articulating hitch. I got mine used but a new one will run you about what a go fast camper will. And I can standup inside the tent, have room for my dogs, and sit down at a dining table. The added payload allows for glamping style accommodations as well. That is a camp sized traeger setup in front of the truck. You can put about 1500lb on the 4x6 and 2500lb on the 6x8. The trailers themselves are about 1000lb and pull very easily. Unless you plan on keeping the camper on fulltime, storage space will be similar.

They wheel pretty well too!
http://instagr.am/p/CCbCIaeJ0Rl/

Registered
I forgot, you also get to level the camp trailer separately/at all. With a camper I guess you can add rocks to drive over or install RV style supports.
It also allows me to leave camp in the truck without having to take it all down. And setup/takedown is crazy fast.

Here is their demo for the classic 6x8

The tent also doesn't sway with the vehicle in the wind. And they are very wind resistant. I have used one of these in Lake Powell winds that snapped the poles on another tent I brought. In the pic above the winds kicked up to 35-40mph overnight.

Registered
The trailer is the option that I am going with, Albert I ma going to convert a cargo trailer instead of an off road trailer. The ATV will sit in the back when I need to get further away from camp and need off roading ability more than comfort with the truck.

Registered
Take a look at Schutt鈥檚 X-venture line of trailers, they are designed (xv1 and xv2) to load and haul atvs, etc and an rtt. Maybe you can find a reasonable priced used one (all aluminum) or use it for design inspiration for the one you build.

Registered
2021 Colorado 2.8L Diesel Z71
I'll be honest, I don't see how most of these items are l lot better / more convenient than just bringing a good quality tent that can be set up in a handful of minutes. Plus then you can still drive the truck around and do things while leaving the tent set up. I have some high end tents that I trust in any weather or situation and they list for $450 and can be had for about $300 on sale.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts