Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 colorado i5 that was made in 10/05 i took it to the dealership since i had the same p0300/p0305 code that everyone else had and thought it was on gms dollar. turns out the dealership wants to charge me $3385 for a whole new head. is there anyone who has had this problem and how did you guys go about it? thanks

·
Registered
558 Posts
is your truck out of warranty? how many miles do you have?

i would think they had to replace the head if it was still under warranty. after the warranty is up tho, its on your dollar. (unless its a recalled part)

good luck.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
The head is warrantied until 100k miles.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
His is an 06 tho. The letter only extends the warranty on 04-05's.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
but on the 06, isn't the standard warranty 5yr/100K
power train warranty?

if he's under 100K miles, it should be covered, correct?

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
The 100k warranty started in 2006. I know cause I was pissed about not getting it on my 2005.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
so he should be covered................

(if under 100k miles)

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
so the mystery continues....... hummmmm...

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
rangerbob said:
The 100k warranty started in 2006. I know cause I was pissed about not getting it on my 2005.
It started in late-06 on new 07 models. I know cuz I was pissed about not getting it on my 06 that I bought in June of 06. They announced the new warranty a few weeks after I bought mine. Some ppl that bought 06's in the fall/winter may have gotten the warranty thrown in but it wasnt standard.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well as of now i have 62k miles on it, the warranty was up at 36k so that was about 10 months after I got the truck. i just hear all these head issues and wonder why GM just doesnt fix it no questions asked I take great care of the truck since i bought it as a daily driver that i wanted to get at least 200k out of. at 25K the heater core went up thats the biggest problem ive had so far. Ive learned to turn the radio up to drown out all the other squeaks and rattles. The thing is I just dont think that your tires should outlast you head. and 06s had the 35/3yr . does anyone know that # for the gm service line. Im not trying to get in their face but try to go about it as nicely as i can. thanks for all your help guys

·
Registered
341 Posts
This was taken from alldata specifying the campaign for this condition:

Campaign - Engine Intake Valve Seat Special Coverage

Bulletin No.: 07123

Date: August 07, 2007

SPECIAL COVERAGE
Subject:
07123 - Special Coverage Adjustment - Engine Intake Valve Seat

Models:
2004-05 Chevrolet Colorado
2004-05 GMC Canyon

Condition

Some customers of 2004-05 Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon midsize pick-up trucks, equipped with either a 2.8L (RPO LK5) 4 cylinder or 3.5L (RPO L52) 5 cylinder engine, may experience a condition where the engine intake valve seats may wear, such that combustion leakage occurs. This will cause partial misfire and illumination of the Service Engine Soon (SES) light. Continued operation and resulting additional wear may eventually lead to engine idle roughness.

Special Coverage Adjustment

This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 7 years or 100,000 miles (160,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after August 8, 2007 are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to August 8, 2007 must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

Vehicles Involved

Involved are all 2004-05 Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon midsize pick-up trucks, equipped with either a 2.8L (RPO LK5) 4 cylinder or 3.5L (RPO L52) 5 cylinder engine and built within the VIN breakpoints shown.

Parts Information

Parts required to complete this special coverage are to be obtained from General Motors Service and Parts Operations (GMSPO). Refer to the latest version of Technical Service Bulletin 06-06-01-017 to obtain the correct part numbers.

Customer Notification

General Motors will notify customers of this special coverage on their vehicles (see copy of typical customer letter shown in this bulletin - actual divisional letter may vary slightly).

Service Procedure

Refer to the latest version of Technical Service Bulletin 07-06-01-011 for Diagnostic Procedures to identify leaking valves, which must be confirmed by a cylinder leakage test for this special coverage to apply.

Claim Information

For vehicles repaired under the terms of this special coverage, submit a claim with the information shown.

Customer Reimbursement - For U.S.

All customer requests for reimbursement for previous repairs for the special coverage condition will be handled by the Customer Assistance Center, not by dealers.

Customer requests for reimbursement of previously paid repairs to correct the intake valve seat wear condition are to be submitted prior to or by August 31, 2008.

Refer to the GM Service Policies and Procedures Manual, section 6.1.12, for specific procedures regarding customer reimbursement and the form.

Customer Reimbursement - For Canada and Export

Customer requests for reimbursement of previously paid repairs to correct the intake valve seat wear condition are to be submitted to the dealer prior to or by August 31, 2008. Repairs must have occurred within the 7 years of the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, or 160,000 km (100,000 miles), whichever occurs first.

When a customer requests reimbursement, they must provide the following:

Proof of ownership at time of repair.

Original paid receipt confirming the amount of unreimbursed repair expense(s) (including Service Contract deductibles), a description of the repair, and the person or entity performing the repair.

If the work was done by someone other than a GM dealership, the amount of reimbursement will be limited to the amount that the repair would have cost GM to have it completed by a GM dealership.

·
Registered
13,488 Posts
derschmeid said:
does anyone know that # for the gm service line. Im not trying to get in their face but try to go about it as nicely as i can. thanks for all your help guys
The number for the GM Customer Service line can be found in your manual, and probably on their corporate website at http://www.gm.com

I would bet that if you call them up and complain about it, and reference the fact that they've acknowledged that its a problem on the 04-05s, you can probably have them cover your work as well. Use the TSB data that furgoon provided in the previous post and find the scans on here of the letters GM sent to owners of the 04-05s and have that in front of you when you're on the phone with them as well.

Good luck!

·
Registered
193 Posts
damn man that sucks...i got the 100k warranty on my 04.... they applied it to any certified preowned vehicle...dont know if that applys to your case...

·
Registered
566 Posts
Us early 2006 owners are screwed pretty much. Why is it that the 2004 and 2005 trucks get their warranty extended, as did the late 2006 and up trucks, but not the early 2006 models. I bought my 2006 Colorado on September 5th of 2005 (it was the first 2006 model they got in). It seems as though we are getting the short end of the stick.

I've had my headgasket replaced under warranty, the entire head replaced with the dealer covering the bill (I got lucky on this one), and the problem still is not fixed. I don't think they are gonna do anymore warranty work on my truck. It now has 57,000 miles on it.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts