Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any details on the GM Supplier Discount? I saw they updated it to include the 2023 Colorado, but no details on what the discount is or if the ZR2 will be included. Also there’s a disclaimer that dealer participation is voluntary…

· Super Moderator
7,390 Posts
You can use the build and price tool on the GM Supplier website to see what the MSRP and discounted prices are - GM Supplier | Build And Price

· Registered
2 Posts
I just used my GM supplier discount on my new Colorado ZR2 last weekend. It was around $1500 but was closer to $2800 on the Trail Boss I looked at first. Not sure if the 2023s will be included but I see no reason they wont. There is also a $500 GM discount if you open a GM credit card through Goldman Sachs. No balance on the card is needed. Every bit helps nowadays.

· Registered
0 Posts
I built a ZR2 today on the Supplier Discount site and it took about $2,100 off the MSRP. My dealer is stating they are not honoring it "at this time" though so I am calling around.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

· Registered
2023 Colorado Z71
88 Posts
Someone educate me: dealers get a kickback from GM when a customer exercises the supplier discount as I understand. I am not sure how much the kickback is. In a situation where a dealer doesn't want to lose any money, what stops them from selling the vehicle at the supplier price, then charging whatever GM doesn't kick back as like a VIN Etch Fee or something? Then the customer gets a discount but the dealer doesn't lose a penny?

· Premium Member
156 Posts
Someone educate me: dealers get a kickback from GM when a customer exercises the supplier discount as I understand. I am not sure how much the kickback is. In a situation where a dealer doesn't want to lose any money, what stops them from selling the vehicle at the supplier price, then charging whatever GM doesn't kick back as like a VIN Etch Fee or something? Then the customer gets a discount but the dealer doesn't lose a penny?
Likely nothing stops them, other than them getting a bad rap and not giving them your business. Or possibly GM getting mad at them, but I can't speak to how it works on the inside.

When I purchased my Camaro back in 2018, I asked my dealer about the supplier discount, but they were selling it to me at invoice anyways and alluded to the fact that the amount of paperwork made it a better deal for them to just discount than deal with the supplier program.

For my Colorado purchase last year, they honored the supplier pricing and I gave them my code and all that. Not sure if they actually went through the program or if they just discounted the price to not deal with paperwork.

Glad my dealer doesn't try to pull those bs 'vin etch' charges, or any other dealer installed crap.

· Registered
723 Posts
Back before covid, I brought it up on 2 GMs and had them say it's a better deal not to use it - and it was absolutely.

It'd be interesting to know exactly how it works for the dealership, but you would think if supplier discount gets a dealership a credit they would be inclined to use it over a straight discount. I'm thinking it doesn't get the dealership much and essentially translates to paperwork/process they don't want to bother with.

On my '22 I asked a few dealerships and gave up on it - as far as I could tell, the big guys in my area who actually had a little stock and typically give the biggest discounts in normal times, were saying "nope". I couldn't keep waiting for months to use a $1500 discount, had put off buying a new vehicle for a couple years already.

· Registered
2023 Colorado Z71
88 Posts
I see it as a maneuver to get some bit of a discount from a dealer who might not be willing to give one otherwise. The supplier discount would give me almost $2k off my Z71 build, so even if GM kicks back 1/4 of that its still a fair bit of free money.

· Registered
723 Posts
I see it as a maneuver to get some bit of a discount from a dealer who might not be willing to give one otherwise. The supplier discount would give me almost $2k off my Z71 build, so even if GM kicks back 1/4 of that its still a fair bit of free money.
I think things are getting better. I'm seeing dealers advertising discounts, not huge, but it's not like it was 6 months ago. Is definitely worth trying.

· Registered
2021 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 crew cab, short bed
207 Posts
I tried to google search, "who gets the GM suppliers discount" and I couldn't find any info on it. So who gets the GM suppliers discount? People that sell items, (supplies) to GM or its dealers like tire salesmen?

· Registered
2023 Colorado Z71
88 Posts
I tried to google search, "who gets the GM suppliers discount" and I couldn't find any info on it. So who gets the GM suppliers discount? People that sell items, (supplies) to GM or its dealers like tire salesmen?
"Active hourly and salaried (full- and part-time) employees or a sponsored spouse of eligible GM suppliers and business associates (e.g., fleet and commercial customers), not including contract employees. Please note: To qualify for this program, you must be a resident of the United States. To determine if your company is eligible, perform a company search. If eligible, your Company Code will be listed alongside your company’s name." Link Here

Also, all those who aren't eligible for the Employee Discount, but do know a GM employee who is, are able to be referred by a GM employee to get the Supplier Discount. The employee needs to pull an authorization code for you. "With the GM Supplier Discount for Friends, you can share the same discount reserved for GM suppliers with friends, neighbors and relatives who are not eligible to use your GM Employee Discount." Link Here

Me personally, I have a few friends who work for GM in Detroit, so I am having one of them pull me an authorization number and that is how I am eligible.

· Registered
0 Posts
Well my dealer has now stated to me in writing that they will honor the Supplier Discount after initially telling me no. I would love to know how it affects the dealers profit if at all.
I am eligible for the Supplier Discount through the company (electric utility) I work for.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

· Registered
723 Posts
Current company I work for, a fairly large US tech company - no idea how we are involved with GM, but we are on the list.

But at one point I worked for Motorola, back when the vehicle computers said Motorola on them - the background rationale was more obvious as clearly we were a supplier (although that wasn't the area I worked in at all)..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts