Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
I just purchased the Kicker Sub for tucks with the BOSE option. Here are some observations.

I had a while back disconnected the center speaker and ran those wires (from the amp) to the rear of the truck for a Pioneer sub woofer. It worked fine, just not quite enough bass. I am planning on using this output for the Kicker so I emailed their tech support to see If it would be advised to use a high to low lever converter as the signal is post amp.

Was told the unit used the high lever signal so that was good. However they recommended using the front left door speaker (per instructions) as that gets low frequency range from the amps dsp. Also, because the Kicker just taps into one speaker, the front door speakers must be on the same channel. (No separate channels for the right and left front door speakers).

Still think I'll try the center speaker output because I already have the wire run. Not sure how the full range (as I've read the center speaker is) will do. Any comments on that?

Also, it's interesting that when the unit is installed it appears that the woofer is facing downward, pointing directly at the carpet. There appears to be about an inch of border around the bottom of the unit where it sits on the carpet, to allow for the movement of sound waves.

Planning on installing it this weekend.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I emailed Kicker about the distortion (with the amp).
Justin,

We have had this issue come up a few times in the past. What is going on here is the second the truck starts up the radio is already passing audio, and our amplifier doesn’t start up as quickly. As the radio is passing audio, the amplifier ramps up voltage and causes a brief moment of distortion due to that. Unfortunately the only way to correct this would be to delay the radio’s turn on for a second but unfortunately that is not something GM is willing to let happen. I’m sure that’s not the answer we are looking for here, but we do know why it happens. If there is anything else we can help you with, feel free to give us a shout.

So I mean it is an issue with the amp. But at least it's not something bad. Not too sure how to feel about it tbh.

Just an issue that should be more public imo.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Just a follow up to my install of the GM (Kicker) 200 Watt Subwoofer I did this weekend.

The fit is perfect. Definitively designed for the trucks as it fits great under the rear seat. The woofer fires downward and cannot be damaged as nothing can come into contact with it. :wink2:

I do believe that my using the front center speaker output is limiting the amount of bass generated. The instructions say to tap into the left front door speaker, which is a low frequency one channel signal. I don't the DSP processor of the amp is sending as much low freqs to the front center speaker. Some have said that the front center is full range, but I'm not convinced that it gets the same low end that the front door speakers get. None the less, it is definitively doing a good job with the signal it getting from the center front.

If I ever have the front kick panel off in the future I may tap into the left front door speaker and run that signal to the back and try that and see if it provides more bass.

All in all, it's well designed and super sturdy. Not quite worth the $ in my opinion. But it was designed as a GM licensed part, so there you go.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I installed and I like mine. No it is not a sub that will piss off the neighbors but for the normal truck buyer it serves well.

It fits under the seat as shown and all I keep there are tie down straps that still fit along with gloves etc.

It does take a little tuning to dial it in but you get it there with some work.

It is a clean factory look and if you shop around they run sales on it to where it is not over priced.

I too had the HHR system and I am good with both. I listen to Country to Metal and it does both well.

The real improvement is it balances out the factory system better but it could still do a little more with a Gain knob like Rat stated. But I have found the sweet spot.

No regrets.
How did you do the tuning part of it? I installed it tonight and it wasn’t seeming to hit hardly at all?

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
How did you do the tuning part of it? I installed it tonight and it wasn’t seeming to hit hardly at all?
The tune was justbongetbtgebdistortion levels out and Tone right for varied
types of music.

As for base I had enough to shake the mirrors.

#1 do you have power to the unit and two did you buy the correct unit? One comes with an amp for the non Bose and one without for the Bose unit.

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
So if I have the Bose speaker system I shouldn’t need the amp that comes w the Kicker package? I have a ZR2 package option.
Correct. You'll get the subwoofer and harness. The non-Bose comes with an additional amp for the door/dash speakers.

Make sure you tapped the right speaker also.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
So if I have the Bose speaker system I shouldn’t need the amp that comes w the Kicker package? I have a ZR2 package option.
if you have a Bose system you do not need the add on amp System.

They make a system with out the amp just for the Bose that already has its own amp. It is also much cheaper.

You should match the system to the code Audio system you have. Here are some examples of the three units.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts