Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was looking at "My Chevrolet App" and the Accessories Tab shows the GM 19333508 Kicker Subwoofer for the 2015-2017 Colorado. I have the Bose setup in my 2017 Z71, and Da! I thought I had a Subwoofer already.
Can someone tell me if I was to purchase this Online, where it is mounted. Does it look like a Factory Install, or is it just not worth the $500+ for it. GMpartsdirect has a number of them instock, and have them listed on ebay. I also asked for a Quote from my Preferred Dealer in "My Chevrolet App" to see what they would charge.

Oh by the way...
I have a 2007 Chevy HHR with a Factory Subwoofer in the Driver Side Rear, and Love it..
It came stock when I purchased my HHR New.

Thanks,
Keith
Marietta, GA

·
Registered
392 Posts

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
I was looking at "My Chevrolet App" and the Accessories Tab shows the GM 19333508 Kicker Subwoofer for the 2015-2017 Colorado. I have the Bose setup in my 2017 Z71, and Da! I thought I had a Subwoofer already.
Can someone tell me if I was to purchase this Online, where it is mounted. Does it look like a Factory Install, or is it just not worth the $500+ for it. GMpartsdirect has a number of them instock, and have them listed on ebay. I also asked for a Quote from my Preferred Dealer in "My Chevrolet App" to see what they would charge.

Oh by the way...
I have a 2007 Chevy HHR with a Factory Subwoofer in the Driver Side Rear, and Love it..
It came stock when I purchased my HHR New.

Thanks,
Keith
Marietta, GA
Keith-
For what it is, it's overpriced. But, for what you get in the end result, due to ease of install and integration for finished product, that'll be your call.
Having also had the the Pioneer system w/sub in my '08 HHR SS, this addition is not as well sounding. The HHR system was designed to be included in the interior, so the power & speaker placements were able to be pre-referenced for a proper sound. In the Colorado, we're adding a Kicker sub to a Bose system, so not a complete harmonious single brand relationship. I'll say it has more positive than negatives. There is no gain control, so some music will sound overcooked, and others will be better enhanced.
It installs under the rear seat, centered. All the wiring and instructions are there for a self install. Its size still leaves a little room for some storage.
I bought mine 2nd hand, and the gent installed it in ~45min, because he had done it before.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
I installed and I like mine. No it is not a sub that will piss off the neighbors but for the normal truck buyer it serves well.

It fits under the seat as shown and all I keep there are tie down straps that still fit along with gloves etc.

It does take a little tuning to dial it in but you get it there with some work.

It is a clean factory look and if you shop around they run sales on it to where it is not over priced.

I too had the HHR system and I am good with both. I listen to Country to Metal and it does both well.

The real improvement is it balances out the factory system better but it could still do a little more with a Gain knob like Rat stated. But I have found the sweet spot.

No regrets.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank You very much for the reply and the picture.
I am sure this will help others as well.
The pictures Chevrolet provided is not very telling.
The Bose is not all that bad, I guess trying to make it better has some compromises as you stated.
I decided to save my money, enjoy the storage and the lack of a need to have a Tool Box.
Maybe GM will get the Colorado better and do some improvements for the future models.

Keith,
Marietta, GA

·
Registered
395 Posts
Yeah got around to adding the sub. Sounds great. I run the bass at -4 or -3.

What that does is makes the bass present from the sub and lowers the door 6x9 back to what their new job is, clear mid low bass and the sub is now responsible for the thump.

Kicker may has set it to be like this. I find without lowering the bass it’s not balanced which leads me to think this

·
Registered
395 Posts
Wondering if we can put some high pass filters in the door to let the sub handle the duty of the lows. Does anyone know the frequency response of the door speakers and the sub?

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Wondering if we can put some high pass filters in the door to let the sub handle the duty of the lows. Does anyone know the frequency response of the door speakers and the sub?

Rather than mess with lossy filters, it might be best to use a signal processor and a separate amp for the door speakers. Not really too costly either. It would be easier to tune the whole system then and really sound much better. Threads are here where owners have done just that.

Also, rather than list a bunch here, you can check Crutchfield online and also price them on Amazon or other sources.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Rather than mess with lossy filters, it might be best to use a signal processor and a separate amp for the door speakers. Not really too costly either. It would be easier to tune the whole system then and really sound much better. Threads are here where owners have done just that.

Also, rather than list a bunch here, you can check Crutchfield online and also price them on Amazon or other sources.
The Bose system has an amp already so why replace it?

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
The Bose system has an amp already so why replace it?
The poster wanted to filter the signal going to the door speakers and that would work but also degrade the signal. Also a filter is low cost but not the best to maintain sound quality.
So it depends on what he is ultimately after. If trying to "tune" the system using stock speakers and and added sub, a low cost processor and even a two channel amp would improve and balance things out greatly.

So it was just a suggestion.

Here is a thread that covers a lot of this and a person could use it as a guide line to do as much. . or as little of it as they wish.

http://coloradofans.com/forums/265-2nd-gen-colorado-canyon-builds/336289-lanson-s-sound-quality-build-2017-crew.html

Reactions: greco2003

·
Registered
950 Posts
Someone with a 2017 was doing the install today. He said the instructions that come with the unit are
For a 2016 and thenwire harness on the 17+ is different.
My take on his post was the signal wire from the drivers footwell is a brown wire with a light blue line... and not a blue wire with a brown line.

And that the wire is supposed to be with another one in some twist. But it is in reality by itself.
I’m not sure what that all means, but it probably makes sense when you’re doing the install.

And I plan on doing this once my suspension is done. So I didn’t want to loose the info.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Per instructions.....

https://www.kicker.com/app/manuals/vss/chevy/SCOCRE15-20160121.pdf

Find the gray and black connector in the drivers
kick panel and carefully cut the fabric loom from
the wire harness. Find the twisted pair of wires
that are light blue and brown/light blue stripe.
Install the supplied wiretaps onto the wires.
Fig. 6
Just installed the Kicker VSS last weekend......Actual wiring on my 2018 ZR2......which matches above.
Light Blue wire and Brown/light blue stripe wire are twisted together and are the wires to use.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Thanks! Thats awesome... I need to get this some day!!! Too many projects eating up limited monies lol!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Someone with a 2017 was doing the install today. He said the instructions that come with the unit are
For a 2016 and thenwire harness on the 17+ is different.
My take on his post was the signal wire from the drivers footwell is a brown wire with a light blue line... and not a blue wire with a brown line.

And that the wire is supposed to be with another one in some twist. But it is in reality by itself.
I’m not sure what that all means, but it probably makes sense when you’re doing the install.

And I plan on doing this once my suspension is done. So I didn’t want to loose the info.
That sounds a lot like my post. :wink2:

To BigMick.........I see that in the copy of the instructions that you linked, they show the 'brown/light blue stripe', but in my instructions that came with it AND that I downloaded at the time, it shows light blue/brown stripe!!!! :censored::censored::censored:

It sure woulda been nice to have the UPDATED version of the instructions. I can't believe Kicker didn't even realize that when I called yesterday.

Reactions: BigMick23 and Fifty

·
Registered
471 Posts
That sounds a lot like my post. :wink2:

To BigMick.........I see that in the copy of the instructions that you linked, they show the 'brown/light blue stripe', but in my instructions that came with it AND that I downloaded at the time, it shows light blue/brown stripe!!!! :censored::censored::censored:

It sure woulda been nice to have the UPDATED version of the instructions. I can't believe Kicker didn't even realize that when I called yesterday.
That's what I was wondering.....if it wasn't a misprint rather than a change in the Colorado wiring harness.
That confirms it then....

When I wired mine I printed out a copy of the link I posted above as it's in color and easier to see.
The instructions they gave you with the Sub looked like it had been copied 50x over....

·
Registered
148 Posts
Installing on a 2018 but I can't get power where they say to, I don't have a stud where the picture shows just an empty hole.

Edit: also got no audio output after hooking it up, not sure why yet. Got lt blue and brown/lt blue wires tapped. It's got power for sure but it's definitely not doing anything.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Installing on a 2018 but I can't get power where they say to, I don't have a stud where the picture shows just an empty hole.

Edit: also got no audio output after hooking it up, not sure why yet. Got lt blue and brown/lt blue wires tapped. It's got power for sure but it's definitely not doing anything.
Just tap power from one of the main trunk lines......the Kicker power is fused so it's not a big deal.
If you checked with a meter you definitely have power to the sub, then you need to recheck your speaker taps......

1 - 20 of 48 Posts