Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
I wonder how much of the chip shortage is the result of hording by various manufacturers. Toilet paper didn't become in short supply (twice) due to manufacturing issues.

I'm not suggesting that's the entire issue, but it could be part of it. Manufacturers going from a JIT system might be overreacting, and perhaps with good reason given a small part can stop production of an expensive product.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I was legit going to order a ZR2 diesel this weekend, had an appointment on Saturday. Looks like I won’t be ordering at all. Probably my favorite feature in the fall and winter are the heated seats and steering wheel. I can handle not having displays on the climate control knobs but not this. Would need a significant discount for me to be like alright it’s worth it again.

This sucks because I wanted a last year diesel extended cab so now I can’t.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
The OnStar box is full of chips but lets not cancel that. GM would rather monitor your movements than let you enjoy the heated seats you paid for.

·
Registered
2022 ZR2 - Crew Cab - Diesel - Satin Steel
8 Posts
So what does this mean for those of us with or trucks built waiting on chips? Will they have computer boards missing the chips to control the heating features just to finish trucks? So basically remove the buttons from dash/steering wheels? Or will ones built wait for the right “chips” since they have the heating elements?
Wondering the same thing. I have a deposit on a '22 ZR2 that was completed on 11/5/21 but has not yet shipped to the dealer as far as I know. Wondering if this vehicle might show up without the right chip to power the heated seats...

Reactions: Mxmastermitch

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
My daughter and me aren’t crazy about stop/start and the 2021Tahoe has stop start but she bought a new 2021 last month and do to the chip shortage they stopped having them equipped with stop/start. Needless to say she’s one happy camper. First story I’ve heard where someone is happy with chip shortage. Also the GM suv she had bought new she traded in was the last year without stop/start. I told her she needs to buy a lottery ticket. 😊

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bet they keep charging the same price even though they lack the features.

Seriously, though, how are you going to have a Denali model without these luxury items?
I always thought heated seats were a luxury item (as I did air conditioning way back when) now my 68 year old butt in Michigan doesn't think so anymore!

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I always thought heated seats were a luxury item (as I did air conditioning way back when) now my 68 year old butt in Michigan doesn't think so anymore!
Couldn’t agree more many years ago when young I ordered a new Pontiac without air conditioning hell just rolled the windows down and turned up the radio. Now at 76 my old delicate a** loves the heated seat (could live without the heated steering wheel) but gotta have that air conditioner. 😊

Reactions: macnag

·
Registered
9,048 Posts
I thought these chips were made in Tiawan? they are building 2 chip plants in the US but takes a few years, unlike a Taco Bell

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

Late last week, it was reported that General Motors would cut several popular comfort features from crossover and pickup truck models across its lineup, including heated seats and ventilated seats. Now, however, GM has indicated that it will be able to retrofit these two features on affected models as soon as next year.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think what gm is doing, is building the trucks or suvs with the heated seats and stearing wheels and leaving the chip out till they come available. That's what they mean by retro fit. So if you get a new truck with heated seats and stearing wheel will be installed just it won't work till the part or chip is installed at a later date when the chip or part is available.

·
Registered
227 Posts
They are only being removed on lower end models. Also removing the crap start/stop due to chip shortage. Some of this crap needs to go away permanently.

Reactions: 93Duc and S2H

·
Registered
49 Posts
They are only being removed on lower end models. Also removing the crap start/stop due to chip shortage. So e of this crap needs to go away permanently.
Sure could be, I looked at the link provided didn't say anything about lower end models only being removed.
I think I'm still correct tho lol.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Sure could be, I looked at the link provided didn't say anything about lower end models only being removed.
I think I'm still correct tho lol.
Only on lower end models for fullsize, I am sure the same happens to these trucks too.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts

Late last week, it was reported that General Motors would cut several popular comfort features from crossover and pickup truck models across its lineup, including heated seats and ventilated seats. Now, however, GM has indicated that it will be able to retrofit these two features on affected models as soon as next year.
Like my earlier post my daughter’s 2021 Tahoe bought new last month doesn’t have stop/start. I think they all have start/stop so if so it doesn’t have it because of chip shortage. If so and in the future they say they have the chip to make it work that everything else is there she’s gonna tell them to kiss her a** that she doesn’t want that s**t.

Reactions: TruckZr2

·
Registered
49 Posts
Fair anuff, good find and info for sure. They do talk about a small $50 credit. I
Kinda think the credit is a sorry for the inconvenience, but everything might be there. The retro kit to me is a kit to just add the parts that they didn't have at time of production. Because really $50 is bs for kinda a big item to cancle off a truck. Well where I live any way it's crazy cold here lol.
Is the 2022 zr2 effected? LOL

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hey has anyone got an update on the heated seats? I bought a Canyon Elevation with Elevation Premium Package (heated seats and wheel). It's to be at the dealer around 5/28/22. The sales rep saying it probably will not have the chip. All the dash buttons and heating elements will be in place. Should be 2qtr 2022, which we are now in when GM ships the chips. Has anyone received a call back yet? Maybe I'll get lucky and mine will have it? I have not see the window sticker which will say for sure. I have the VIN/Order# sheet but it does not say if the feature is disabled.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think there is a chance they will work. I just got my invoice today (thank god it got built) and the only rebate retrofit line item on it was for the rear park assist.

·
Registered
9,048 Posts
Hey has anyone got an update on the heated seats? I bought a Canyon Elevation with Elevation Premium Package (heated seats and wheel). It's to be at the dealer around 5/28/22. The sales rep saying it probably will not have the chip. All the dash buttons and heating elements will be in place. Should be 2qtr 2022, which we are now in when GM ships the chips. Has anyone received a call back yet? Maybe I'll get lucky and mine will have it? I have not see the window sticker which will say for sure. I have the VIN/Order# sheet but it does not say if the feature is disabled.
I think some people have received a call to bring there truck in so they could get the heated seats working

21 - 40 of 68 Posts