Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

It was recently revealed that General Motors is removing heated seats from a variety of crossover and pickup models, with heated steering wheels and ventilated seats also on the chopping block. The new changes are due to the ongoing microchip shortage.

The feature reduction is said to affect over a dozen nameplates, including the Chevy Colorado, Chevy Blazer, Chevy Equinox, GMC Canyon, and GMC Terrain. The Chevy Silverado and Chevy Traverse are also affected, with the exception of High Country trim levels, as are GMC Sierra and GMC Acadia models, with the exception of Denali trim levels.

·
Premium Member
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
3,940 Posts
The joys of this COVID supply chain issues.

It is screwing lots of things up. Trust me I work in Distribution for a Multi Billion Dollar company

·
Registered
2018 Chevrolet Colorado V6 Crew Cab Long Bed
1,049 Posts

It was recently revealed that General Motors is removing heated seats from a variety of crossover and pickup models, with heated steering wheels and ventilated seats also on the chopping block. The new changes are due to the ongoing microchip shortage.

The feature reduction is said to affect over a dozen nameplates, including the Chevy Colorado, Chevy Blazer, Chevy Equinox, GMC Canyon, and GMC Terrain. The Chevy Silverado and Chevy Traverse are also affected, with the exception of High Country trim levels, as are GMC Sierra and GMC Acadia models, with the exception of Denali trim levels.
Geeez..Just make the darn things in the United States.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I bet they keep charging the same price even though they lack the features.

Seriously, though, how are you going to have a Denali model without these luxury items?

Reactions: Firehk

·
Registered
2004 Colorado Ext Cab Z71 2021 Canyon AT4
388 Posts
I bet they keep charging the same price even though they lack the features.

Seriously, though, how are you going to have a Denali model without these luxury items?
Well yeah… CEOs still need their bonuses dude

Of all the features on my truck, the heated/cooled seats are one of the most frequently used features.

Take out all that crappy lane control and auto braking that slams on for false things but don’t touch the heated items.
X2 on the lane change system, I flipped that switch on the drive home from the dealer and have never touched it since. Absolute waste of time/money/tech. Sounds great on paper though and I would wager it makes all the people with a hard-on for living in an all-encompassing safety bubble super happy, so

Seems that businesses today are more focused on checking boxes than providing quality goods/services. Real shame

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
X2 on the lane change system, I flipped that switch on the drive home from the dealer and have never touched it since. Absolute waste of time/money/tech. Sounds great on paper though and I would wager it makes all the people with a hard-on for living in an all-encompassing safety bubble super happy, so
My step-father turns it off in his car and killed my mother falling asleep and running off the road.

The system is hardly that annoying. Those that actually take control of the the steering are far more annoying, particularly those that don't even require coming very close to the lane edge.

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
This chip shortage makes me wonder how much of China's economic system is a house of cards. Their economic system has radically changed over a relatively short period of time, so it's a combination of relative amateurs running it and inefficient state control. They're already having significant issues in their housing market and banks. I could see a collapse of their system causing major problems world wide.

·
Registered
734 Posts
This chip shortage makes me wonder how much of China's economic system is a house of cards. Their economic system has radically changed over a relatively short period of time, so it's a combination of relative amateurs running it and inefficient state control. They're already having significant issues in their housing market and banks. I could see a collapse of their system causing major problems world wide.
Don’t forget the rolling blackouts in China due to coal prices.

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
Don’t forget the rolling blackouts in China due to coal prices.
Not sure the blackouts are due to prices, but yes another problem they are having (and Covid lockdowns another). I believe they are still building coal fired plants, both at home and abroad, even though they have severe air quality issues.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Not sure the blackouts are due to prices, but yes another problem they are having (and Covid lockdowns another). I believe they are still building coal fired plants, both at home and abroad, even though they have severe air quality issues.
Coal is so expensive and in short supply that the power plants aren’t making power. It’s too expensive for them to profit. They shot themselves in the foot by refusing to buy Australian coal. Can’t get enough coal at cheap prices elsewhere.

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
They shot themselves in the foot by refusing to buy Australian coal. Can’t get enough coal at cheap prices elsewhere.
I should have said not solely due to prices. The Australian thing was one of the things I was thinking of, as well as some air pollution issues, as well as making the same mistake California did on pricing electricity.

·
Registered
2021 Black \/6 4WD Z71 Crew Cab Short Box
2,426 Posts
My step-father turns it off in his car and killed my mother falling asleep and running off the road.

The system is hardly that annoying. Those that actually take control of the the steering are far more annoying, particularly those that don't even require coming very close to the lane edge.
You have mentioned this before. I turned on all my systems even the back seat reminder after reading this. We did this in both cars. Thanks for sharing something so painful for the good of others.

Reactions: MLtrucker

·
Registered
2021 ZR2 Bison, duramax diesel and completely stock .
201 Posts
What ever happened to Silicon Valley ? Sounds like Max Zorin made his mark .

·
Registered
3 Posts
So what does this mean for those of us with or trucks built waiting on chips? Will they have computer boards missing the chips to control the heating features just to finish trucks? So basically remove the buttons from dash/steering wheels? Or will ones built wait for the right “chips” since they have the heating elements?

·
Premium Member
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
3,940 Posts
Geeez..Just make the darn things in the United States.
Lots of chips are made in the USA and Canada. But so much is still part of the whole global parts system.
I used to work at a place that would make chips in NY. But parts in the process come from China. So shipping always causes issus

·
Registered
'21 Canyon AT4, CCSB, leather, Bose, etc.
180 Posts
My opinion... I didn't waste the money for the electronic driver-assist/warning stuff. For those people who can not drive, or would rather put on their makeup or shave while driving, or can not talk and chew gum at the same time, I'm sure it is a blessing. The younger generation, especially, has been raised to rely on that stuff, and rather than it being a safety measure, it has instead allowed overconfidence and taken away caution. Perhaps, instead, not everyone should have a license to ride in the driver's seat?

As for the heated seats, I never use mine and I forget it has a heated steering wheel. Honestly, all I really want is a heater, air conditioning, a manually-operated transfer case, a rear-locking differential, and FM radio and arm rests.

My old Jeep doesn't have any of today's electronic stuff, not even ABS brakes. And, I have never caused an accident with it. It does, however, have an FM radio... you just have to know to pull out the button to set your station!

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
My opinion... I didn't waste the money for the electronic driver-assist/warning stuff. For those people who can not drive, or would rather put on their makeup or shave while driving, or can not talk and chew gum at the same time, I'm sure it is a blessing. The younger generation, especially, has been raised to rely on that stuff, and rather than it being a safety measure, it has instead allowed overconfidence and taken away caution. Perhaps, instead, not everyone should have a license to ride in the driver's seat?

As for the heated seats, I never use mine and I forget it has a heated steering wheel. Honestly, all I really want is a heater, air conditioning, a manually-operated transfer case, a rear-locking differential, and FM radio and arm rests.

My old Jeep doesn't have any of today's electronic stuff, not even ABS brakes. And, I have never caused an accident with it. It does, however, have an FM radio... you just have to know to pull out the button to set your station!
I’m an old fart and here in southeast Kansas in winter I really like the heated steering wheel and seats in my Colorado. When really cold it’s nice to remote start truck and get in and set my a** on a nice warm seat.

·
Registered
2018 Chevrolet Colorado V6 Crew Cab Long Bed
1,049 Posts
Lots of chips are made in the USA and Canada. But so much is still part of the whole global parts system.
I used to work at a place that would make chips in NY. But parts in the process come from China. So shipping always causes issus
Exactly! We are too dependent on China.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts