Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
911 Posts
I find it hard to believe that stations that charge 75 cents a gallon more than other stations sell that much diesel.

Although I'll admit I'm surprised that a new Chevron station in my area 2.5 miles away from another Chevron station can sell any regular gas charging 55 cents more per gallon than that other station. But its been open for almost a year and not adjusted its pricing. If I were the owner I would have started selling gas cheap to get people in the habit of stopping there and then slowly worked the prices up to find the point of maximum profit.
Pricing at gas stations is another interesting story.
Stations that are in the same region are obligated to be at the same price as each other. Sometimes these regions could change just as far as a mile away. When I was working in the gas station it was explained to my my district managers and higher ups whenever I would complain. It made no sense to me that we would have to raise our price 5 cents because the station across the road decided to raise their price 5 cents.
We would be violating the gas station agreement. Even though keeping it lower would mean selling more and more profit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hmmm, I was under the assumption that we (Denver) would get treated fuel all winter long so I have been dosing about half of the recommended amount of Opti-lube Winter. I guess I better start treating the full dose going forward!

·
Registered
282 Posts
In the winter months in WI I only fill up at pumps which state "Winterized Diesel".

The high pressure pump station I fill up in the warmer months does not state this, so I don't chance it.

I had no issues last winter during the stretch of actual -20F degrees using the Winterized Diesel. I only suffered a bent fin turbo during those temps.......

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I am actually OK if it is not winterized, just need to know so I can add the proper amount of additive. Have never seen a pump in South Denver where I live that says anything about winterized, although some stations are drastically more expensive than others - perhaps they are winterized? Who knows.

I will continue to go to the same high volume station I went to, assume the fuel is regular #2 and treat it with anti gel additive accordingly. At least I know the fuel is fresh, free of water and clean - the fuel filters looked great at 20K miles, not so much as a droplet of water in the fuel I drained (looked at it in a clear plastic receptacle). It was a total waste of time changing the filters but I was in there anyway to see if I had "The Blob" growing on them from this whole gelling incident.

My buddy with a 5.7 Tundra whose house that my truck was stuck at was ribbing me about the whole ordeal and telling me how much of a PITA diesels are until I reminded him my Canyon goes 600 miles on a tank and is averaging 27.5 MPG, pretty much dead on double what he gets in his Tundra. He quit ribbing me after that :LOL:

·
Registered
513 Posts
Lol, yes, I believe that is definitely in the many paragraphs on Murphy's Law ! Lol

In the early 80's, in the US Army, it was drilled into our heads...."It's better to have it & not need it, than to need it and not have it !" .....when it comes to ammunition.

That same principle is also relevant in so many of lifes lessons.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts