Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a used gauge cluster off of ebay because I plan on sending my stock cluster out to get the leds changed. I have researched this topic and was under the impression that the BCM stores the miles for the the truck and that once the new cluster is put it that it will change itself to the correct mileage. I put the new cluster in and it did not change mileage nor does it even keep track of mileage. The total miles stays the same and the trip doesn't leave zero. Does anyone have and ideas on this? Thanks

·
Premium Member
16,808 Posts
Strange. All the guys that swapped to the Xtreme cluster had no problems. I wonder if the BCM is in a type of protection mode. Have you tried disconnecting the battery then reconnecting it after about 15 minutes with the new cluster installed?

·
Registered
9,864 Posts
This is strange. But hey also Dan, all the guys who've installed Xtreme clusters here have all been new clusters. I wonder if installing a used one with miles already on it won't work for some sorta protection. In any case, the dealer sends them out to Speedotech to have the fullsize clusters recalib.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I unhooked the batter for about 10 minutes then drove another 20 or so miles and still nothing. It still reads the mileage from it's original truck and it won't even update that mileage. It just stays at the same number.

·
Registered
389 Posts
im pretty sure that speedometers have to be reset with a change of vehicle.. most gm's have been like this since the introduction of electronic mileage counters.. You will most likely have to take it into the dealer to be reset.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've heard of people having no problems switching clusters between the 355s. I know that most vehicles require an odometer calibration but everything I've heard concerning the 355s has been the opposite. It's not a huge deal for me cause I will be putting my stock cluster back in once it gets done. I kinda just wanted to know if it would work for other people and in case I need to use this one in the future.

·
Premium Member
16,808 Posts
It could be because your cluster was used. The guys that reported automatic mileage update from BCM bought new clusters with 0 miles.

Does the used cluster have more miles than your truck? Maybe that has something to do with it.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I talked to wwsgrww who has done led conversions for people and he said that he plugged their clusters into his to see if the worked and they changed to his mileage within the first 4 minutes. He said that he has done this numerous times and there were never any problems. I think I just have a haunted cluster. lol

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
turbizzy said:
DBNissan said:
It could be because your cluster was used. The guys that reported automatic mileage update from BCM bought new clusters with 0 miles.
Thats what I said earlier.
Ahhh izzy, it seems like people love to read past your posts ;) :p

I was gonna say, to make sure the truck was on and running, but he said he drove it..so I dunno either. When I got mine, it was new, mileage transferred when the truck started. Good luck man.

·
Registered
9,864 Posts
KingSting said:
turbizzy said:
DBNissan said:
Thats what I said earlier.
Ahhh izzy, it seems like people love to read past your posts ;) :p

I was gonna say, to make sure the truck was on and running, but he said he drove it..so I dunno either. When I got mine, it was new, mileage transferred when the truck started. Good luck man.
Well with this new info comming in that Ryan has actually hooked up other used clusters to his truck and it worked has me stumped. Maybe you got a bunk cluster buddy. At least your rims are tight. 8)

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Turbizzy- Yeah I've pretty much just come to the conclusion that my cluster is ghetto. I put the stock one back in today and everything fired up no problem. Oh well...at least the stock one is working. lol

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Are you sure the cluster was for the same engine/tranny combo as your truck? I could see the I4 and I5 clusters being different, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
334 Posts
ok this is not related to the cluster issue but who does the led conversions and how much is it??? and do you have to buy the whole xtreme cluster or can u buy just the gauge faces?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
The Xtreme cluster comes only as an entire unit as far as I know. There are companies that make gauge overlays though. I can do the led conversion for ya. I've got the LED's on order and should be here next week.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts