Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I bit the bullet and got the adjustable tail gate things.
They say it's only good for 50 lbs. but I'm hoping fully down it is much better than that because I drive my quad up into the truck. The hinge pins look a little cheap but I think they will be ok, I'll keep an eye on them.

The instructions are not so hot, I think, the way I read them, the different spacers are wrong, they are listed backwards, thick top, thin bottom is how they are supposed to go.

The bolts that came with the kit are junk, soft like butter, be careful not to strip the little 5mm allen slot like I did, oops.

It comes with a hose clamp to put on the gate hinge where you remove it, it's to keep it locked in when you have the gate open at that angle.

The best price I could find was at 4wheelparts. $180 something....

It is a very cool product, bolts and instructions suck but I guess you can't have everything. :(

Attachments

·
Registered
894 Posts
Well I bit the bullet and got the adjustable tail gate things.
They say it's only good for 50 lbs. but I'm hoping fully down it is much better than that because I drive my quad up into the truck. The hing pins look a little cheap but I think they will be ok, I'll keep an eye on them.
I think you made a big mistake. Hope is a poor plan. When it breaks and damages your truck, you'll regret this decision.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you made a big mistake. Hope is a poor plan. When it breaks and damages your truck, you'll regret this decision.
I HOPE you are wrong about it breaking. ;)
I sure wish someone made a cable like we had on the 1st Gen trucks. I searched for about an hour but no luck.
I might look into running a 1/4" grade 8 little bolt through the hinge just in case. Also, I would never put more than 50lbs on it when it is locked in one of the up positions, the little hook device isn't that big.
It takes a lot of force to shear something like a hing pin, but still it's looks kind of cheesy....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts