Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is going to sound like a dumb question, but I have to ask. Does anyone have trouble putting gas in their 2017 Canyon, what I mean is, after the pump clicks off the first time, I can still put about 3 gals. of gas in, no matter how slow I pump, the pump will kick off about 20 more times before its full. It does not matter which station I use, or how far I have the nozzle in. JUST ASKING ?????

·
Registered
87 Posts
This is going to sound like a dumb question, but I have to ask. Does anyone have trouble putting gas in their 2017 Canyon, what I mean is, after the pump clicks off the first time, I can still put about 3 gals. of gas in, no matter how slow I pump, the pump will kick off about 20 more times before its full. It does not matter which station I use, or how far I have the nozzle in. JUST ASKING ?????
My 17 is the same,

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
So, is this a how-to fill your gas tank, and evap system?(posting section)
How many gallons does it wind up being after 20 more clicks?
Tank is listed for 21 gallons, but past speculation has been made that our tanks are a modified Silverado tank.

Reactions: greco2003

·
Registered
850 Posts
I always let it go till it clicks off then top off to the nearest full dollar amount. Overfilling can cause problems with the evap system from what I’ve heard. I have a 2017 Colorado cc 4cyl.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Why did you post the same exact thing twice in different sections?

A little bit of searching will give you multiple threads covering the topic..

·
Registered
238 Posts
The most I've put in 18.9 gals., and I stop after two clicks. Like others have said, over filling can cause problems.

Reactions: madcratebuilder

·
Super Moderator
4,277 Posts
Just pump till it clicks off. A second click is ok. Any more than that and you risk damaging emissions equipment. Don't try and calculate how much YOU THINK should go in the tank. That's not how it works.

The same rules apply in running low on fuel. Don't try and second guess the low fuel light. Just get fuel before the light comes on or within 20 miles of it going on.

·
Registered
237 Posts
This is going to sound like a dumb question, but I have to ask. Does anyone have trouble putting gas in their 2017 Canyon, what I mean is, after the pump clicks off the first time, I can still put about 3 gals. of gas in, no matter how slow I pump, the pump will kick off about 20 more times before its full. It does not matter which station I use or how far I have the nozzle in. JUST ASKING ?????
Why are you pumping up to 20 clicks? :clueless

I fill up to the first click, then I am able to slowly continue filling until the second click.

- Preston

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
The 21-gallon capacity doesn't mean it has 21 gallons of physical volume, there's actually more. Due to emissions equipment and thermal expansion there needs to be room for air left in the tank. If you're clicking 20 times to get the most fuel into the tank as possible then you're doing it wrong.

This is even covered in the owner's manual.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
Now a dupe post

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
To over fill the tank the excess fuel has to go somewhere. It ends up in the expansion area of the tank, the fuel filler neck and in the hoses going to the evap canister and the evap vent valve. I'm not going to go into it other than to say you do not want liquid gasoline in the vent system including the canister and vent valve.

·
Registered
237 Posts
just keep squeezing until it pours out. it'll take over 25 gal when on E
I hope this is a joke. But your post doesn't show any signs of a "haha" moment. Unfortunately there are people that will take this as literal advice.:sad:

Reactions: F8LZ71

·
Registered
2,321 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,277 Posts
Thanks to all for the advice,, just maybe I need to start reading my manual !!!! Maybe it was a dumb question, but Im sure glad I asked !!
Better to ask and risk feeling dumb then not ask at all. Thanks for asking. You will probably save someone else from making expensive mistakes. :grin2:

Reactions: greco2003
1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.