1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
That's why I always look. I've not noticed any station switching them around but there are a few that have the regular in the middle instead of on the end.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I always check as some put the high in the middle and very rarely will I see a high where the low should be. It's like the guys who put a quart of oil on the signs marked $0.10 lower than the 87 gas and sucker people in. Gas should go form left to right 87, 89, 93.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Could also be so the pumps get even wear since the majority of people use 87 octane.

I still check, even to make sure I'm using the right credit card after I used my work one by accident one day. :lol:

·
Registered
341 Posts
In New Jersey, they have concierges that pump our gas. Never have to get my hands dirty. I guess having the highest taxes in the country is good for something.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
I can't say that has ever happened to me.
I always look at the pump to see what I am pressing.

If you pay attention, you don't get burned.
If you DON"T pay attention, you get what you deserve.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Sarge said:
Could also be so the pumps get even wear since the majority of people use 87 octane.

I still check, even to make sure I'm using the right credit card after I used my work one by accident one day. :lol:
Bingo

·
Registered
635 Posts
Never happens in Oregon.. we have miniserve. You're not allowed to pump your own gas. I honestly never saw the need for pump jockeys, but I also was never confused by the yellow and black octane stickers when I am in CA or WA.

Not to thread hijack, but why put in 93? They recommend 87.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Well I hope ppl look before they start pumping... otherwise they could be pumping diesel in.

That reminds me of the movie Mischief 3000 when the dude in a Ferrari (I think that's what it was) didn't pay attention and filled half his tank w/ diesel. Ouch that would suck!

·
Registered
558 Posts
i still dont get why people run premium in their stock colorados. the manual states 87 octane is recommended, anything higher is just wasted money IMO.

and i believe they switch the buttons to more evenly wear the pumps. all the 87 buttons around here are pretty beat.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HowNowBrownCow said:
i still dont get why people run premium in their stock colorados. the manual states 87 octane is recommended, anything higher is just wasted money IMO.

and i believe they switch the buttons to more evenly wear the pumps. all the 87 buttons around here are pretty beat.
Its a matter of stubborness, years of being taught that bigger is better, and personal preference. I'd have to double-check, but doesn't the manual say 87 or higher?

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I don't think they switch the pumps. I've never been to a station where the pumps have suddenly changed or even over the years.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Owners Manual said:
Gasoline Octane
Use regular unleaded gasoline with a posted octane of
87 or higher. If the octane is less than 87, you may get a
heavy knocking noise when you drive. If this occurs, use
a gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher as soon as
possible. Otherwise, you might damage your engine. A
little pinging noise when you accelerate or drive uphill is
considered normal. This does not indicate a problem
exists or that a higher-octane fuel is necessary. If you are
using 87 octane or higher-octane fuel and hear heavy
knocking, your engine needs service.

·
Registered
558 Posts
brinsmaid said:
Its a matter of stubborness, years of being taught that bigger is better, and personal preference. I'd have to double-check, but doesn't the manual say 87 or higher?
hey its your dollar and i wont argue with you. my 3.7l gets 87 every time i fill up, and it runs great on it.
i run premium in my motorcycles, but they have a compression ratio of 12.5:1 or higher. my mx bike is 13.2:1 cp ratio. those get 93 octane because they need it. one time i grabbed the wrong gas can to fill up before a moto and i could not figure out why my bike made no power the whole race. after i returned to my truck i realized i brought the wrong can to the races. luckily a good fellow competitor lent me 3 gallons of premium for the rest of the day.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts