Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello everyone!

I have a 2019 Colorado WT Extended Cab with the 2.5 4 cylinder and 6 spd. auto. Recently, I've been averaging 15-16 mpg with combined highway and city driving. I only get about 240 miles to a tank. I used to get about 350. I never would have thought a small 4 cylinder truck would get this bad of mileage. In fact, I got this motor for the gas mileage perks, as the diesel was too pricey. Has anyone else had similar issues? I am trying to avoid another warranty trip to the dealer, so any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
KC
I get 17-18 around town and 22-26 on the highway with my 2018 2.5l 4wd with 11k miles.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello everyone!

I have a 2019 Colorado WT Extended Cab with the 2.5 4 cylinder and 6 spd. auto. Recently, I've been averaging 15-16 mpg with combined highway and city driving. I only get about 240 miles to a tank. I used to get about 350. I never would have thought a small 4 cylinder truck would get this bad of mileage. In fact, I got this motor for the gas mileage perks, as the diesel was too pricey. Has anyone else had similar issues? I am trying to avoid another warranty trip to the dealer, so any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
KC
I'll echo some of the earlier posts. My 2016 Canyon and its 2019 Colorado replacement both saw fuel economy dips in cold weather (below 40 degrees or so). It's not just the winter gas blend, since the colder it gets during winter, the lower my fuel economy, and it improves during winter warm spells. Also, check to be sure your tire pressures are about 35 psi cold. Cold weather drops tire pressure. Al my experience has been with the 3.6 liter V6, but I've never had extended periods with mpg as low as 15-16 - only brief times when I tow, haul firewood or feel like hitting the go pedal more than usual.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone!

Thanks,
KC
I have a 2015 Colorado extended cab WT with the 2.5L and 6 speed auto transmission. 95% of my driving is local and in a hilly part of Connecticut with moderate traffic conditions most of the time. I have kept exact fuel consumption records for almost 5 years. The worst I ever got was 20 mpg during very cold weather (0 - 25 degrees) with snow conditions. I normally range from 22 mpg in winter to 25+ in summer. My overall average for the 5 years is 23.5 mpg. Maybe 5% of my driving has been interstate highway type and I get 26 - 27 mpg at around 70 mph. I think your dealer should dig deep and get you near the mid 20's for mileage.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yeah, you might want to get it checked at the dealer. I consistently get 19 mpg with my V6 combination city/highway. DIps a couple of mpg for a couple of tanks worth when we change to winter fuel

·
Super Moderator
4,178 Posts
You don't want to know what I'm getting. LOL

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Colorado
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks everyone for your help. Doing a bit better now at 19mpg average. I’m going to wait on it. If it doesn’t improve when the weather is warmer again, then I’ll have them dig into it

·
Premium Member
2,423 Posts
Hello everyone!

Thanks,
KC
Got 23mpg in my 3.6 CCLB 4X4 yesterday city and hwy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check your area for any gas stations selling pure gas (no alcohol added). If you have that near where you are and run a tank of it, you will be able to confirm if it is the gas blend causing the issue, since the winter blend is typically heavier on alcohol, which has less energy per volume. (I'm not sure if all areas have this gas option, but out here in WA there are stations here and there that have pure gas. I prefer it for my old motorcycle, when I can get to that station.)

·
Registered
233 Posts
The terrain plays a HUGE part in the fuel economy. I spent last weekend in Reno and on the way up (from Sacramento), I average around 22mpg in mild freeway traffic (thank god, no chains was required but the roads were super snowy).

However, on the return trip, I hit my personal best at 30.5mpg as it was a lot of downhill (even though traffic was heavy coming down the mountains). And all this with a 2.75" lift and 32" tires.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts