Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 36000 on my 05 I5 Colly. I've noticed the last few months that I'm getting about 15mpg when I used to consistantly get 17-18 mpg. Ive been doing very close to the same amount and the same types of driving.

I've cleaned the throttle body, changed fuel filter, checked air filter and its pretty clean, etc. All my preventative maintence has been done.

Would spark plugs be causing this issue even though my mileage is still pretty low for that?

Im going to changeover to synthetic oil next oil change. Hopefully this may help as well.

Anyone have any input?

·
Registered
388 Posts
X2
We're all in cold climates - the winter gas has
dropped my mileage 2-3 mpg - and if ethanol becomes the norm, due to its less btu's (at least its drinkable :), compared to gas, we will consistently get less mpg

·
Registered
96 Posts
mileage

Take it to the dealer. I've made several posts this week about mine. I have had no codes thrown, gas mileage was dropping more than normal (to me anyways). And I had what seemed to be just a little bit rougher idle. Took it to the dealer, and was told that the head needed to be changed. That is where it sit now. Supposed to get it back Monday. Asked the tech to gut my cat in the exh manifold and offered a behind the scenes $40.00 profit. We'll see if it happens. I hope so. Save me some time. It's still cold here in Maryland.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: mileage

MDColorado said:
Take it to the dealer. I've made several posts this week about mine. I have had no codes thrown, gas mileage was dropping more than normal (to me anyways). And I had what seemed to be just a little bit rougher idle. Took it to the dealer, and was told that the head needed to be changed. That is where it sit now. Supposed to get it back Monday. Asked the tech to gut my cat in the exh manifold and offered a behind the scenes $40.00 profit. We'll see if it happens. I hope so. Save me some time. It's still cold here in Maryland.
I wish I could get as lucky as you. I'm a Ford Diesel tech and I own a colorado. It has all the symptoms of a bad head except the codes. My Chevy dealer basically told me to >>>> off until I get a code! Pisses me off!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Re: code

MDColorado said:
Pull a plug wire on one of the cylinders till it throws a code. Then take it to the dealer... :twisted: :idea:
ummm sounds like a good idea think it would work?? :twisted:

·
Registered
9,864 Posts
Re: code

aa.francis said:
MDColorado said:
Pull a plug wire on one of the cylinders till it throws a code. Then take it to the dealer... :twisted: :idea:
ummm sounds like a good idea think it would work?? :twisted:
Well... first of all there isn't any "plug wires" on our trucks. If you pull an ignition coil connector off then it will set an ignition primary code and all you can hope for really is just a coil replacement but that won't fix anything so whats the use?

Also if you do decide to pull a coil out and start it then youll most likely set a P0300 random cylinder misfire or a P030x depending on which cylinder you disable in which case they'll check the coil, plug and compression and find all that ok so you might just get a fuel injector cleaning service per a TSB so really that won't help much either.

To me it sounds like winter blend gas bro.

·
Registered
96 Posts
stupid

DAMN, I didn't think about the coils are direct fire. I've only seen them exposed once. My Bad! Shows how much I'm under the hood of this truck. :shock:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts