Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2017 AT4x4 2.8L CCLB Dark Slate Metallic
2,977 Posts
on these trips we drive during the day, the wind in Missouri and Kansas blows prettty much the same year round, we also do not make these trips when there is ice or snow on the interstate. We do not use remote start on either vehicle on these trips, nor sit at an idle. we do not use the heated seats on these trips, but we do listen to tunes, and depending on how loud we have the volume up, will depend on how hard the alternator has to run which can drastilcaly reduce gas mileage

so I guess if we turn the volume down on these trips during the winter we will get the same gas mileage that we do when using the summer blend of gas, who knew...
Fuel savings is one of the primary reasons for the RVC smart alternator system that GM has used in all its vehicles for the last 20+ years.

And then there is the giant list of winter weather factors that Drax shared from the EPA list above. I'm not saying winter blend doesn't impact MPG, but I am saying it doesn't have anywhere near as significant of an impact as winter conditions do on our fuel mileage...and I can comfortably assert that the OP's issue has nothing to do with winter blend fuel.

·
Registered
2017 AT4x4 2.8L CCLB Dark Slate Metallic
2,977 Posts
In fact, something else that cold weather is rough on is batteries. I would recommend the OP has their battery load tested and possibly even replace it. When a vehicle has to consistently charge the battery rather than maintain it, fuel mileage can and will suffer.

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
In fact, something else that cold weather is rough on is batteries. I would recommend the OP has their battery load tested and possibly even replace it. When a vehicle has to consistently charge the battery rather than maintain it, fuel mileage can and will suffer.
darn, I was going to check on a battery at Sam's today and completley forgot, thanks 4 years old and when it was 10 degrees the other day it grunted a little

Reactions: rotaryenginepete

·
Registered
2007 Colorado LT, Factory Lowered
39 Posts
My '87 Suburban ALWAYS got 15MPG on trips,, 11-12 around town,,
It had 235-75-15 as the OEM tire size.
I changed to 31 inch tall Michelin tires that had non-aggressive tread,,

Even after adjusting for odometer difference, the truck went down to 10MPG highway.
I never drove it enough around town to check the mileage.

Well, after 3 trips, I could not stand it,, I sold the 31" tires,,,
and went back to the 29" tall tires. The fuel mileage came back.

That was the change on only a 2 inch taller tire,
That truck was a BEAST, I had a friend that wanted his '66 Jeep CJ towed back from NC.
We took the Suburban, and a tow bar.

I was flat towing the Jeep up I77 towards Wytheville VA ,, there is a steep, long up grade.
My buddy asked if towing the Jeep up that grade was straining the Suburban, we were going 70MPH.

I hit the gas, we accelerated up to 85MPH, like there was no Jeep back there,,
I then told him, it seemed like the Suburban was doing OK!! (LOL!!)

I SWEAR that Suburban on 29" tall tires had more power than my 2500 with 4.10 axle, and a 6.0 engine.

So, IMHO, gas mileage can be an elusive thing,, who would imagine an old Suburban getting over 15MPG with an entire family of 4 and all the "stuff" we take for a week at the beach??

AND, who could guess that a 2" tire change could destroy 1/3 of the fuel mileage??

·
Registered
2020 WT 4X4 longbed
34 Posts
Hey all-
Have a 2018 2WD with the V6. Put 31.5 in tires on it. I’m getting 11.5 MPG. I know the tires have an impact, both real and perceived as it throws off the speedo.
But I also have a 6.2 liter Raptor with 33s and I get 11 in that truck.
I had a dealer test the Colorado - oxygen sensor and all other things are good.
But something has to be wrong here if I’m only getting 11.5 mpg.
Any ideas?
Measure the circumference of the new and the old, compare. Also, the comment about tread design is right on. Stock tires run pretty high pressure, too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Dont forget to consider throwing in an aftermarket MAF and/or a cold air intake. I switched to the K&N Blackhawk FIPK and threw in a JET MAF (which is having a BF deal). This increased my V6 to 22-24 HWY MPG and city to 17-18. Of course, this was city on Fl, but recently moving to NC, the city has decreased bc of the colder air. I'm considering a lower thermostat, like I have in my 12 Tahoe, custom built supercharged beast!

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
Lower thermostat requires adjusting the fan threshold to match otherwise it's a useless mod.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Colorado WT, crew cab long bed
778 Posts
Seems like somethings wrong. If I’m smashing the pedal around town on my 31.6” tires, the lowest I’ll see is 13.5 mpg. I didn’t think I’d get lower if I tried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey all-
Have a 2018 2WD with the V6. Put 31.5 in tires on it. I’m getting 11.5 MPG. I know the tires have an impact, both real and perceived as it throws off the speedo.
But I also have a 6.2 liter Raptor with 33s and I get 11 in that truck.
I had a dealer test the Colorado - oxygen sensor and all other things are good.
But something has to be wrong here if I’m only getting 11.5 mpg.
Any ideas?
I have a 2021 ZR2 V6 that i installed 33” KO2’s on the first week i purchased it, Then installed a trifecta tune which also calibrated the speedometer for the larger tires. In the 8,000 miles since i have averaged 16.9 miles per gallon. I don’t have a lead foot but the truck is fun to drive a little faster than any of my previous trucks so i do tend to drive it a little harder, I’m not sure i could get down to 11 mpg if i tried. Something sounds wrong.

·
Registered
2020 WT 4X4 longbed
34 Posts
I have a 2021 ZR2 V6 that i installed 33” KO2’s on the first week i purchased it, Then installed a trifecta tune which also calibrated the speedometer for the larger tires. In the 8,000 miles since i have averaged 16.9 miles per gallon. I don’t have a lead foot but the truck is fun to drive a little faster than any of my previous trucks so i do tend to drive it a little harder, I’m not sure i could get down to 11 mpg if i tried. Something sounds wrong.
Could be that he hasn't gotten his speedo calibrated and has no idea what his real milage is. I'd say that was a REAL good possibility. I had 31s on an ancient ranger that shipped with 215 x 15 and it made a huge difference.

It also made quite a difference in how fast I was really going. I found that out the hard and expensive way.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts