Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 Colorado, I5. It seems at about the time I reached 45,000 miles, my mpg went down by 5mpg. I was getting around 25 and now I'm down to 20. I've changed my air filter and have been runnunig injector cleaner. It sure feels like I have to mash the gas pedal alot harder to get going. I did put new tires on about that time, but put the same size on. Anyone else notice such a big drop in mpg? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
13,488 Posts
Have you ever changed the fuel filter? The manual recommends changing it every 15K miles or something like that, if I recall correctly.

Also, have you taken a look at your spark plugs lately? I don't recall when the manual says to change them, but I'd take a look at them around 50K just to see how they're doing, especially if you're seeing a noticeable performance difference.

If you put some much more aggressive tires on, those could also be at least partly to blame for it, and the winter blend gasoline could also have something to do with it, when did you hit 45K?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I live in Fl. I don't know how much winter blend gas we need here. I have not checked plugs and have not changed the fuel filter. I probably turned 45,000 in Sept or so. Does the throttle body need to be completely removed or will spraying cleaner in the intake do it?

·
Registered
229 Posts
bassdudecurt said:
2005 Colorado, I5. It seems at about the time I reached 45,000 miles, my mpg went down by 5mpg. I was getting around 25 and now I'm down to 20. I've changed my air filter and have been runnunig injector cleaner. It sure feels like I have to mash the gas pedal alot harder to get going. I did put new tires on about that time, but put the same size on. Anyone else notice such a big drop in mpg? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
I read a test, somewhere a while back, that tires can make a difference in MPG. Not because of size difference, but because of makeup. I'll see if I can find this article.

·
Registered
362 Posts
jeffdb said:
I read a test, somewhere a while back, that tires can make a difference in MPG. Not because of size difference, but because of makeup. I'll see if I can find this article.
Tires with makeup are gay.
:rofl

Sorry but it had to be said.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Well I can say my MPG has gone up since I got my PCM tune was getting around 14 went up to 16.

·
Registered
229 Posts
reno753 said:
jeffdb said:
Tires with makeup are gay.
:rofl

Sorry but it had to be said.
I put mud packs on mine.
Seriously,
I did a google serch and a lot of folks have seen decreased mileage with new tires. Even the piece of $%&@ Prius owners (sorry about that) in their forum said they noticed lower MPG's with the addition of new tires.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
Tires wear down a bit after a while and this decrease the drag.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
Stealth_Canyon said:
Once I put my 20s on I noticed a huge decrease in gas milage. The guy at the dealership said that is normal.
That's because your wheels weigh a lot more than the stock combination.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts