Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats the gas milage on the 4 cyclinder and 5 cyclinder?

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
have you look at chevy.com?

or maybe fueleconomy.gov?

or you could do a search on this site?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm a 04 RCSB 3.5L Auto. Bone stock and I've only put 2 tanks in mine and I've gotten 22 on both tanks so far. But it'll go up in the summer due to better gas.

·
Registered
324 Posts
19.6 mpg is my best tank so far, only had truck since January and it is still getting better with each tank.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
3.7 8k auto and my best is 18 hwy and 16 city not good at all, plain on going to NW PA in a few weeks 1400mi one way well see how it does then, :lol:

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
It depends on how much your truck weighs.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
stocklook said:
3.7 8k auto and my best is 18 hwy and 16 city not good at all, plain on going to NW PA in a few weeks 1400mi one way well see how it does then, :lol:
Exactly what I get.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
i get the same mileage in my 3.7 auto 3.73 truck as I did in my 2.8 5-spd 3.42 truck.

26-27 MPG 90% hwy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I5, z71 4x4 cew.....18city 25-26 highway (In summer months) drops a couple mpg's in winter

·
Registered
40 Posts
Have been getting 18.5 average (2004 Z-71 4x4, 3.5L I-5, auto, 4.10 rear end). Started to "hypermile" a month ago, neutral at stop lights and on exit-ramps, cruising at the speed limit (70mph in Michigan) and keeping the revs below 2,000 and improved to 22.5 mpg.

On another note, I've noticed that when I put the vehicle in neutral when coasting or slowing down, the DIC displays the "Low Fuel" warning and the chime sounds, whtn I am around a quarter tank. The gage also goes down rapidly, but then goes back up. It doesn't doo this if I slow down in Drive. Anyone drive like this and experience the same thing? Anyone have an opinion on putting the tranny in neutral so often? I'm not too crazy about it, but it got me 20% better fuel economy.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Horshack said:
Have been getting 18.5 average (2004 model year 3.5L I-5, auto, 4.10 rear end). Started to "hypermile" a month ago, neutral at stop lights and on exit-ramps, cruising at the speed limit (70mph in Michigan) and keeping the revs below 2,000 and improved to 22.5 mpg.
Driving habits are a major source of fuel economy improvement. :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
yeah driving habits have alot to do with it. But before I put on 20" rims I was getting 19-20 mpg every tank. 50% interstate and 50% city. 70-75 mph. I'm sorry I really don't see how someone like twopoint8 is getting 26-27mpg with the same 3.7L that I have. 27mpg is a 32% increase in MPG over my decent 19-20 mpg average. And I take it pretty easy to get 19-20.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had made it known to the wife that my goal was to A) get 400 miles on a tank, and B) surpass the average 23 mpg that she gets in her Compass (FWD, 2.4L, CVT). Made it to over 400 miles easy, but missed the economy by half a mile per gallon. That was a real downer. So, my next goal is to get the Compass up to 30.

Note this was city/highway mixed driving, but was still better than the 22 mpg that I had achieved during the mostly-highway trip from Detroit to Chicago the first summer I owned the truck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Colorado74 said:
yeah driving habits have alot to do with it. But before I put on 20" rims I was getting 19-20 mpg every tank. 50% interstate and 50% city. 70-75 mph. I'm sorry I really don't see how someone like twopoint8 is getting 26-27mpg with the same 3.7L that I have. 27mpg is a 32% increase in MPG over my decent 19-20 mpg average. And I take it pretty easy to get 19-20.
Don't know all the specs of your truck, but trans and gearing have a lot to do with it, as well. Someone with a manual and 3.43 rear end is likely to get better than and auto with 4.10 rear end in comparable every-day driving conditions, unless maybe they are pulling a trailer or something that requires the greater torque.

·
Registered
13,488 Posts
Colorado74 said:
Slow down to 65 or under. You'll get passed by everyone including semis, but you'll get 25MPG easy on the highway...I did about 65 during the first 500ish miles I had my truck, which happened to be the beginning of a road trip, and got 27.6MPG out of that tank.

Then I resumed my typical 80-90MPH driving pattern and it dropped down to about 20-22 highway :lol:

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
Horshack said:
Have been getting 18.5 average (2004 Z-71 4x4, 3.5L I-5, auto, 4.10 rear end). Started to "hypermile" a month ago, neutral at stop lights and on exit-ramps, cruising at the speed limit (70mph in Michigan) and keeping the revs below 2,000 and improved to 22.5 mpg.

On another note, I've noticed that when I put the vehicle in neutral when coasting or slowing down, the DIC displays the "Low Fuel" warning and the chime sounds, whtn I am around a quarter tank. The gage also goes down rapidly, but then goes back up. It doesn't doo this if I slow down in Drive. Anyone drive like this and experience the same thing? Anyone have an opinion on putting the tranny in neutral so often? I'm not too crazy about it, but it got me 20% better fuel economy.

If you coast in gear with the manual tranny you actually get better mileage. Just FYI.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts