Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...I know how to pump gas, as I have been doing it for years..., so I have no idea what's happening here.

I usually flip the switch on the pump handle and let it shut off when the tank is full, but at my last two fillups, the pump didn't shut off and gas spilled out all over the side of my truck for a second or two followed by the pump shutting off. This happened at two different Exxon stations. Both times the rubber gasket was missing on the pump nozzle.

Both times I added a bottle of Techron to the tank before filling up.

Clearly this is not an issue of over-filling. It should make no difference to the pump if I fill it up with gas only or if I pour Techron into my tank first and then attempt the fill-up.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
I had an Exxon pump dump about a half gallon of gas out of my tank one time before I noticed - was checking the oil.

Yesterday the Sunoco pump burped about a cup onto the side of my bed. I'll be watching it more closely from now on.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What triggers the pump to shut off?

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Ive had that happen to me too. Now when im getting close I let the handle about half-way out to slow it down.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Luckily ive never had that happen to me.

To tell you the truth, I didnt even know that was possible, with the auto-shut off and all :?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Third gasoline problem in as many days?? :D Are all these problems from a single visit, or how often do you fill up?

There's an air hole that contols the flow. If you don't put the nozzle all the way in, it might not shut off since air will be able to travel through that hole.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Glamdring70 said:
Third gasoline problem in as many days?? :D Are all these problems from a single visit, or how often do you fill up?

There's an air hole that contols the flow. If you don't put the nozzle all the way in, it might not shut off since air will be able to travel through that hole.
3rd gasoline problem? Are you referring to me?

I fillup once a week.

·
Registered
635 Posts
[quote="brinsmaid3rd gasoline problem? Are you referring to me?

I fillup once a week.[/quote]

Yeah. First it was the pricing of gas [I think]; then the ordering of the pumps, then the gas pump not shutting off. The only problem I usually run into at the pump is the price. :lol:

Now I'm going to be thinking of that scene in Zoolander all day...

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Glamdring70 said:
brinsmaid said:
3rd gasoline problem? Are you referring to me?

I fillup once a week.
Yeah. First it was the pricing of gas [I think]; then the ordering of the pumps, then the gas pump not shutting off. The only problem I usually run into at the pump is the price. :lol:

Now I'm going to be thinking of that scene in Zoolander all day...
Oh, I see. Yea...I am obsessed with gasoline and additives this week.

·
Registered
97 Posts
the other day i started filling up and crawled back into my truck... the cashier came outside and told me to watch the pump because the gas hadn't been shutting off... he said it had something to do with the atmosphere... i don't know if there's any truth to it or not but that's what i was told

·
Registered
388 Posts
How bout this - I assume the system shutoff is pressure sensitive, so with less expansion of fuel vapor in winter compared to summer (ie thats why you have to be careful not to overfill your tank in summer months cause the vapor can expand and gas can come out through your cap), then the
pressure system may not be as able to pick up its shutoff point.

Not sure if there is any truth to this but it felt good to spew some sort of scientific theory

·
Registered
13,488 Posts
Weston said:
How bout this - I assume the system shutoff is pressure sensitive, so with less expansion of fuel vapor in winter compared to summer (ie thats why you have to be careful not to overfill your tank in summer months cause the vapor can expand and gas can come out through your cap), then the
pressure system may not be as able to pick up its shutoff point.
When it happened to me, it was spring, 'cuz we were just heading down to ohio to pick up a bike my buddy bought.....now that I think about it, though, I think that was two years ago, not one...

·
Registered
388 Posts
Found this:
Maybe just a faulty switch

When your gas gauge reads empty, your tank is filled with air instead of fuel. As you add fuel, the air must move out of the tank to make way for the gas. Next time you fill your car at the gas station, take a look at the pump nozzle. You will find a hole about a half inch from the end of the nozzle. This hole is connected to a small pipe that travels through the nozzle to the handle.

When you fill your gas tank, some of the displaced air flows through the hole in the nozzle into the pipe. When the tank is full, the hole will be below the gasoline level and no air will pass through the pipe. A mechanical switch inside the nozzle detects when the flow of air stops and shuts off the gas.

You may have noticed that, after the pump shuts off, you can get more gas in your tank by pulling the nozzle out of the tank a bit. This is because you’re moving the position of the hole relative to the gas level and allowing the mechanical switch to reopen.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Weston said:
Found this:
Maybe just a faulty switch

When your gas gauge reads empty, your tank is filled with air instead of fuel. As you add fuel, the air must move out of the tank to make way for the gas. Next time you fill your car at the gas station, take a look at the pump nozzle. You will find a hole about a half inch from the end of the nozzle. This hole is connected to a small pipe that travels through the nozzle to the handle.

When you fill your gas tank, some of the displaced air flows through the hole in the nozzle into the pipe. When the tank is full, the hole will be below the gasoline level and no air will pass through the pipe. A mechanical switch inside the nozzle detects when the flow of air stops and shuts off the gas.

You may have noticed that, after the pump shuts off, you can get more gas in your tank by pulling the nozzle out of the tank a bit. This is because you’re moving the position of the hole relative to the gas level and allowing the mechanical switch to reopen.
As long as its not another thing wrong with my 04, I'm ok!
I found something similar on Yahoo Answers. Thanks!

·
Registered
118 Posts
this happens to me all hte time.. Really doesnt matter where I go to get gas, it will sometimes dump cup or 2 out when I have the automatic lever on the pump.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts