Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first put my folding cover on it did not seem to let much water in at all, then the other day we had a good rain storm and when I went to put something in the bed there was pools of water up in the front corners.

Today I had a chance to look and noticed rather large gaps on both sides between the front and sides of the bed near the top. The pictures show light coming through. The topper is sealed well but water runs right through these gaps. Does everyone's have this same gap? From the looks of it they should be pushed together better as the 2 parts look like they fit together like puzzle pieces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
609 Posts
Yup, pretty sure we all have that high quality bs...
I filled it with silicone, also added truck bed gap weatherstripping crap around the epic gaps in the tailgate area.

I don't have a spray in bedliner because when I went to go get it was told the gaps would still be there...which made me laugh and cancel

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I filled it with silicone, also added truck bed gap weatherstripping crap around the epic gaps in the tailgate area.

I don't have a spray in bedliner because when I went to go get it was told the gaps would still be there...which made me laugh and cancel

Thanks for the reply, I have been pretty surprised at the good quality overall so far on the truck. This is the first questionable thing found, hopefully the last.

I need to go get some black silicone to seal it up with. Also need some weatherstripping for the tailgate like you mentioned.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks for the reply, I have been pretty surprised at the good quality overall so far on the truck. This is the first questionable thing found, hopefully the last.

I need to go get some black silicone to seal it up with. Also need some weatherstripping for the tailgate like you mentioned.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Also need some weatherstripping for the tailgate like you mentioned.
I've been very pleased with the Lund weatherstripping, which received a lot of positive commentary in another thread. Take your time observing how the tailgate and body come together and think about where the adhesive should go and how it'll be stressed and compressed and you'll end up with good results. Mine seals up well without any abrasion or strain that is likely to pull it away from the metal. Go for compression with minimal rub, basically. The top corners of the tailgate are the hardest parts to work out.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000COL4A4/

Reactions: ZR2longhaul

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been very pleased with the Lund weatherstripping, which received a lot of positive commentary in another thread. Take your time observing how the tailgate and body come together and think about where the adhesive should go and how it'll be stressed and compressed and you'll end up with good results. Mine seals up well without any abrasion or strain that is likely to pull it away from the metal. Go for compression with minimal rub, basically. The top corners of the tailgate are the hardest parts to work out.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000COL4A4/
Ordered this along with some black silicone. Thanks for the advice!

Need to find some other uses for the black silicone around the house before it dries up...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.