491K views 995 replies 133 participants last post by  Chadnv 
#1 · (Edited)
https://www.instagram.com/gregfgallagher/

FALKEN Tire product ambassador

First lifted ZR2

First ZR2 on 35s

CURRENT ZR2 MODS

LED high/low beams (summer)

High output h9/9011 low/high halogen (winter)

Plastidipped black bow ties

Front window tint matched to rear

BDS Suspension PROTOTYPE ZR2 lift

Chassis unlimited shackled ladder bar. Self weld kit

Self fabbed low profile spare tire bed mount

Fifteen52 cast monoblock Turbomac HDs 17x8.5 0mm offset bronze

35X12.50 Falken M/T

Custom 3” 100% welded exhaust with secondary cat removed. Cherry bomb Vortex muffler with 12” glass pack resonator

Chassis unlimited rock sliders. Self weld kit 90" with custom frame mounts

High lift jack mounted in bed

Sway bar removed

Overload leafs removed

Diesel coils

Plano bed box

Gladiator Cargo Net

Bull rings in bed

589 Steel driveshaft

VIAIR tire inflation kit

FUTURE

Self fabbed front and rear prerunner style tube bumpers.

Deaver rear leafs

CURRENT PICTURE:

Howdy all! Maybe should've started this thread when I purchased the truck, but better late then never!
I'll start with a short backstory. I sold a 2016 z71 dmax Colorado after seeing a ZR2 in person. Couldn't help myself. Long story short, I ended up with my ZR2.

The truck is a 2017 Deepwood Green Metallic ccsb V6. Fairly optioned out with bose, nav, all weather matts front and rear, chevy logo exhaust tip, Chevrolet performance door vinyls and even the multi color led foodwell and cup holder illumination package.

From the day I got it, I was immediately in love. I got the thing so I wouldn't be tempted to mod something with warranty to make it better off-road...that thought lasted about 2 weeks.

If you have questions about anything I've done or am planning on doing to the truck, please ask and I'll do my best to answer!

I will keep all current mods updated in my signature..

Here's some first day pics to start it off...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
The first major thing I did was polish it and get a good coat or carnauba wax on the gorgeous paint.

Looking into the paint...

Details

So happy I went with this color

#10 ·
Thanks! Diesel vs gas was a tough choice for me. Came down to the 8 speed driving better.

Plans short term are level, 33s or so, black bow ties, and get it winterized and salt proofed. Long term is to make a very capable rig at every aspect off-road that can be daily driven year round with a solid piece of mind.

#4 ·
Next was a must have. Tri fold bed cover. Found one made in the USA that had good reviews at a great price point! Gator is the company.

I had some help unpacking. Everybody meet Zeus!

Fit and finish are great

Even came with weatherstripping, a great touch.

Very pleased with this product.

#11 ·
Thank you! I wasn't sure on the decal, but, on the green I think it works great!

The 13th is almost here! You'll love it! Please do share the mods planned as some of mine will be unique as well.

#6 ·
Custom flag mount worked well for the 4th

#7 ·
Got around to installing my Hikari LED high and low beams. I removed the end caps on the bulbs and the difference is quite noticeable.

#486 ·
So, got the hikaris installed, (with the end caps removed). Truthfully, I'm not all that impressed. There is no "hot-spot" in the low beams, although there is a nice, wide beam dispersion.
The high beams are way brighter, and have a more discernible hot spot.
I'm going to try adjusting the low beams up a touch.
What exactly is achieved by removing the end caps? Is this something intended by hikari, or more of a "hack"? Can't help but wonder if the low beam pattern may be better with the end caps. Thoughts?

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Much appreciated! I try to take all my pics with a canon point and shoot. I'm a recreational photographer so pics will be plenty on this thread.

#9 ·
First time testing off-road. Found sand. Dug the rears in until the spare and diff were holding me up. Put in 4 low front and rear diff locked and boom, crawled right out.

Then found a little topsoil mound and decided to test approach and departure angles. Rear hitch dug in and the bumper wasn't far behind. Front was fine though.

#13 · (Edited)
G2skier's zr2 build thread

These pics were from a fun weekend. Went to see some buddies from college and go wheeling.

First day we went to go shooting at a range out on a not so difficult (usually) trail. Was in 2 high rear locked and decided to get a little muddy and crawl through what looked like a 2-3" deep set of muddy ruts. Simple right? Not so much. Ended up being bottomless clay and I was half way in before I realized the situation. Tried my hardest to crawl out in low with both diffs locked. Didn't work. Got pulled out by a trusty ol Isuzu Rodeo. Lots of mud.

The next day, I decided to hit an old jump I knew of. Started hitting it at 40 with no issues or air time. Eventually got up to about 60-65 to get all four tires airborn. That was pretty damn fun! Truck handled the situation beautifully again and again. I'm not sure how to upload video on tapatalk app so I'll YouTube link it soon. Here's a pic.

Edit: here's the link..

https://youtu.be/j31oKF5VWbU

#14 ·
I unfortunately missed a killer trip to the Silver Lake Sand Dunes state park that I helped plan last weekend. I was hospitalized over the weekend and couldn't do a thing about it. A few forum members made it out there with their rigs including @BustaLota @axc630 and @urs6e24 and it looked like an awesome time!

I now have 2 flag brackets fabbed up and need to use them soon!

#15 · (Edited)
G2skier's zr2 build thread

Last update before I cut the lights out for the night.

Mods that are happening in the near (ish) future:
-paint bow ties black
-33"ish tires
-Level the front (I'm not messing up the dssv position so don't get into that you sticklers)
-tint for the front

The leveling parts that will work will be here this weekend, but do to my surgery, I can't do any heavy lifting for a month so I'll have to sweet talk (bribe with alcohol) someone into helping me as soon as they're able.

I also have 2" hub centric wheel spacers that are off my old z71 that I might throw on as a joke while I decide on what 33s I want. According to math on paper, I should be able to fit them, especially if it's leveled. Real life results may vary. I'm sure it'll look goofy.

#16 ·
Finally home from the hospital! Got to see this thing for the first time in 8 days

Some packages I ordered also showed up!

First are the Rhino shackles. Ordered them because our trucks have no open tow hooks, just rings and my recovery strap has looped ends. They were under $20 on amazon prime due to a close out deal or something. 41,850lb break strength.

Nice box with carry handle

Powdercoated

Free sticker, lifetime warranty card and protective packaging, very nice.

Next is a decent quality foam gun for my power washer! Did my homework and this one seems to be a good deal at less than $40.

All pieces feel heavy duty in the hand. Bottle is marked nicely.

Can't wait to use both of these! Doctor said no lifting more than 5lbs for 6 weeks but he thinks I'll heal much faster than that. Fingers crossed!

#17 ·
Love the truck just 2 many doors. I've done the Tonneau cover, mud mats, DRL relocation, LED's up the kazoo. Simple pin strip, I'm not sure if I'm going to de-badge it or not, looking at a 1" front lift...maybe. Around here almost all stations have 10% corn juice gasoline. I found one that has real 92 octane with no corn. I can feel the difference in performance. Much better low rpm response. I like the GM Performance decal I may look at one of those. Nice truck.

Reactions: Matt At and G2SKIER
#18 ·
Thanks! You have a good taste in color! I too have debated on de badging. Can't decide if this color needs it or not. Sounds like you found a good watering hole! My leveling kit comes in tomorrow but I'm not sure when I'll be able to install it to see if it'll work as I planned. Measured the truck today and there's 1.5" forward rake on mine.

#23 ·
After too much free time in the hospital, I think I've narrowed down my 285/70 tire choices to these 4. All have been long time favorites of mine.

Goodyear wrangler MTR Kevlar ~$320. Tougher than hell and good side lugs. Looks crazy too. It's production life length speaks for itself.

Goodyear fierce attitude MT ~$260. The duratrac's big mean older brother. Very similar tread to the duratrac, just enlarged and had a bucket of badass dropped into it. Love the barbed wire theme. Also has badass tire stickers instead of white painted letters.

Next up is one of the longest lasting and toughest MTs on the market. Toyo open country MT at around $320. This is what I think of when someone says mud tire. They're costly, but worth it. Nice pokey side lugs too.

And lastly the Hankook dynapro MT coming in around $220. Fairly affordable mud tire. I've seen this tire run through winter like it was its job. They also score very highly on rock, sand and, believe it or not, mud! Simple yet gorgeous tread design and some good side diggers too!

Am I ruling out A/T tires? No. I may end up with one. They are just expensive for what you get in this size for some reason.

#27 ·
Yes, extremely expensive. I don't blame him for the switch.

#28 ·
If you haven't used one of those foam cannons before, you will love it. I got an el cheapo one from Amazon and it completely changed the way I washed my Z71. I just buy the cheapest soap I can find and it works out great in my little Ryobi pressure washer.

Sweet looking rig man!

#29 ·
If you haven't used one of those foam cannons before, you will love it. I got an el cheapo one from Amazon and it completely changed the way I washed my Z71. I just buy the cheapest soap I can find and it works out great in my little Ryobi pressure washer.

Sweet looking rig man!

Awesome news to hear! I haven't heard anyone say they don't like them lol.

And thank you!

#31 · (Edited)
G2Skier's ZR2 Build Thread

Anyone considered doing small orange marker lights in the grill and/or bumpers? Not necessarily like a raptor...I saw a stock tundra that had 4 placed around in different spots the other day and it looked pretty sweet going down the road.

Maybe I'll start a thread on it.

*EDIT* here's the thread...
Marker lights in bumper/grill?

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...m/forums/showthread.php?t=355721&share_type=t

#32 ·
Anyone considered doing small orange marker lights in the grill and/or bumpers? Not necessarily like a raptor...I saw a stock tundra that had 4 placed around in different spots the other day and it looked pretty sweet going down the road.

Maybe I'll start a thread on it.

I've got a Raptor-style 3 LED kit waiting to get put on... Lmao funny you mentioned it.

#35 ·
Today's plan:
-Plastidip front and rear bow ties

-Wait impatiently for my leveling kit to show up

#38 ·
Ok, problem fixed. Here's some dark inside pics because it's raining. I'll get some better pics later...

#39 ·
Ok, better pics now. Amazing how much the look changes. Hope y'all enjoy the look as much as I do!

Look what else showed up today! Hopefully this weekend she'll be level! Now I actually gotta get serious about getting tires coming.

#40 ·
Ok, better pics now. Amazing how much the look changes. Hope y'all enjoy the look as much as I do!

Look what else showed up today! Hopefully this weekend she'll be level! Now I actually gotta get serious about getting tires coming.

Looking real good brotha! Can't wait to see the leveling kit installed [emoji106]

#41 ·

I'll have to do some measuring after I install my leveling kit...but, I'm thinking I can fit a 34x10.5r17 KO2 with stock offset. Mainly looking at this route because the tread is almost an inch skinnier (for winter) than the 285/70r17 and it's still a bigger sidewall to air down for wheeling. Only downside...the price is insane. $330/per. That's $100 more than the same KO2 in a 285/70. I'll sleep on it.

#45 · (Edited)

Got trigger happy with my small Canon camera after the wash today.

Really didn't even get it that clean, just FINALLY got around to washing off the baked on clay film left over from my stuck incident a few weeks back. Needs another wash and a detail but that's not quite on the doctors orders yet lol.

I did however scrub the living piss out of the undercarriage for ease of installation on the leveling kit tomorrow. You could eat off the front suspension!

Took 100 and change but here's just a few for y'all...with the leveling kit going on tomorrow I'll save a pig picture dump for then...enjoy!

#46 ·
Got trigger happy with my small Canon camera after the wash today.

Really didn't even get it that clean, just FINALLY got around to washing off the baked on clay film left over from my stuck incident a few weeks back. Needs another wash and a detail but that's not quite on the doctors orders yet lol.

I did however scrub the living piss out of the undercarriage for ease of installation on the leveling kit tomorrow. You could eat off the front suspension!

Took 100 and change but here's just a few for y'all...with the leveling kit going on tomorrow I'll save a pig picture dump for then...enjoy!

I need a DSLR in my life [emoji22]

#50 ·
Ok. She's leveled. A full write up will follow later this evening, but, everything went smooth and everything works!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.