Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into buying a Colorado and would like to hear some input from you guys.

I may be changing jobs that will require a 140 mile commute each day. So my main concerns in my next truck would be gas mileage and durability as I would be putting on 40K - 50K a year.

I have been looking at reg. cab Colorado’s and would prefer 4x4, 5 speed, and I5

Questions:

What kind of mileage can I expect to get on an all highway 75-80 mph commute in central Indian (all flat) in a Colorado as described above? Would going to 2wd or the 4 cyl make much of a difference? Traditionally on trucks it would make a huge difference but the gov’s web site claims that there is only 1 mpg dif in the 4 cyl to the I5 and only 1 mpg difference between the 2wd and 4x4. What are the real numbers?

What years should I be looking at?

What’s the good, the bad and anything in between?

I have heard the I5 04-06 years have a misfire issue due to the cylinder heads?

Sounds like the 07-08 they have made improvements in both motors but at the cost of mileage?

Any other input would help? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I have a 05 auto crew cab xtreme, and I have a 110mile round trip drive to and from work, with about 80 miles of that on interstate with the cruise set at 70mph. I get 23-25mpg on average. I haven't gotten less than 20mpg in a long time. I would assume that a regual cab would get a little better, but there are alot of people on here with the same trucks that get alot worse. So I guess it could depend on how you drive, or the quality of fuel you have in your area.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have the 07 Xtreme 3.7 Auto. 16 City 23 on the road.It runs great it has lots of power like a V 6 or V8. I had a ex. cab silverado 4x4 before I got my Xtreme. As far as power goes the 3.7 has it. It's a hot rod up to 100 mph. then it shuts down.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replys. sounds like the 3.7 is a big improvement over the 3.5

know one has any comments on the 3.5 misfire issues? are they on every 04-06 3.5l i5?

is there a fix for it?

·
Registered
283 Posts
I had a 05 regcab 3.4 auto colly that would avg 25mpg all around, and never gave me a prob.

I now have a 08 3.7 regcab with a auto, had it a month but only have 240miles on it, so it's kinda early to get a MPG avg.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
was your 05 2wd or 4x4?

CHASLS2 said:
I had a 05 regcab 3.4 auto colly that would avg 25mpg all around, and never gave me a prob.

I now have a 08 3.7 regcab with a auto, had it a month but only have 240miles on it, so it's kinda early to get a MPG avg.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
stoltz23 said:
thanks for the replys. sounds like the 3.7 is a big improvement over the 3.5

know one has any comments on the 3.5 misfire issues? are they on every 04-06 3.5l i5?

is there a fix for it?

I don't think the problem is as wide spread as you think it is with the 3.5L. I've never driven a Colorado with the 3.7, but I don't see the differences between the two to be that great. Mine runs as good as the day I got it if not better with no issues.

·
Registered
243 Posts
If you want better gas mileage, the I4 is the way to go.

My '08 regular cab 4x4 has decent power (especially in the flats) and great mileage - never less than 18.3 so far in pure city, and up to 24 on highway speeds at 70 mph.

Last year, I had the I-5 set-up (3.7L), in a similar truck, but my mileage was MUCH lower -- down to 14 in the city, and never higher than 21 on the highway. The main reason I traded was to get the manual tranny and the I-4 engine.

Also, do a mileage search for more info... there are a ton of them. Some I-4 folks are claiming 30 mpg!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have an '06, Extended Cab, 2wd I4.

I've put almost 200 miles on it since my last fillup (mostly city miles), and I haven't needed to fill her up yet.. I've used maybe a little more than 3/4 of a tank.

(I'm seeing how many miles I can get before I have 1/8th tank left.. I NEVER take my vehicles down that low, only after first getting them to see the gas mileage).

·
Registered
166 Posts
you cant go wrong with a chevrolet motor period! these motors are pure awesome, sure they are not the most powerful things on the p[lanet, they are of great design, look back into past years and look at the old straight 6 250 chevrolet produced, they came out with that motor again, same mold as the old motor just aluminum and changed the design but still same mold, they havent had a lick of motor problems out of them in the trailblazers, it's of same design int eh colorado just one cylinder shy. exactly like the 350 and the 4.3, reliability isnt an issue in these trucks, as for gas mileage they are fairly good for a truck, look to average between 16 city and 28 highway depending on conditions and modifications

·
Registered
234 Posts
stoltz23 said:
I am looking into buying a Colorado and would like to hear some input from you guys.

I may be changing jobs that will require a 140 mile commute each day. So my main concerns in my next truck would be gas mileage and durability as I would be putting on 40K - 50K a year.

I have been looking at reg. cab Colorado’s and would prefer 4x4, 5 speed, and I5

Questions:

What kind of mileage can I expect to get on an all highway 75-80 mph commute in central Indian (all flat) in a Colorado as described above? Would going to 2wd or the 4 cyl make much of a difference? Traditionally on trucks it would make a huge difference but the gov’s web site claims that there is only 1 mpg dif in the 4 cyl to the I5 and only 1 mpg difference between the 2wd and 4x4. What are the real numbers?

What years should I be looking at?

What’s the good, the bad and anything in between?

I have heard the I5 04-06 years have a misfire issue due to the cylinder heads?

Sounds like the 07-08 they have made improvements in both motors but at the cost of mileage?

Any other input would help? Thanks in advance

I travel 140 miles a day. Been doing it for a couple years now. Traded my gas hog ram for a new 06 reg cab 4cyl 5 speed colly.
103,000 miles later no problems. 27 mpg and great in the winter with sandbags in the bed. dont get the 5cyl. they get crappy mileage from what ive read here. dont hesitate to get one like mine. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts