Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I REALLY want to convince myself to buy a twin.

I have a 4runner now, but need a truck bed for small tasks 3-4 times a year. Currently no kids, but plan to have them in the next few years. I love my 4Runner because it feels sporty like a car, spacious for people, room to haul stuff.

I orginially wanted a full size Silverado or Sierra, but am worried about the size. Parking garages, parallel parking spots, pulling in and out of spots in a parking lot all get a lot more complicated when you get a full size. I have myself set on a twin, then see a full size truck and fall in love with the look. Tacoma was never an option because it's way too small for me.

Someone convince me otherwise!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I absolutely love my twin. It is so much easier to park than my '04 2500HD was.
That being said, you could get yourself a trailer for occasional use and keep your 4Runner. My uncle has gone this route for years and it's worked out well for him and lots of us family members that get to borrow the trailer lol

His trailer is just like this:

Detail K21639 lb. Payload Capacity 4.5 ft. x 7.5 ft. Utility Trailer with Bed Tilt and Collapsing Ends to Extend Bed to 12 ft.
https://homedepot.app.link/soxyPu3s6G
SKU# 206586893

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
You need to sit in them test drive, them, decide for yourself.

I think you articulated most of the critical factors between the two.

1. FS are much more comfortable overall than the MS trucks, more leg room, etc. However, I rode in a FS the other day, it may have been a double cab rather than a crew cab. I found the back seat uncomfortable. Now, if you are talking small children, they are going to be in car seats, so comfort of the rear seat is not an issue. However, the FS will probably be easier to secure a car seat into than the MS.

2. Fuel mileage is going to be better on the MS, but I don't know that it is leaps & bounds. I would argue that if the FS truck makes more sense than a MS on other factors, don't let an added $100.00 per year of fuel costs drive your decision. If you use the EPA numbers, you are talking less than 1 MPG difference. Assume 15,000 miles per year, V6 on the Colorado and 5.3L V8 on Silverado, both 2WD, EPA ratings of 20 & 19 respectively, then fuel usage per year is 750 gallons for the Colorado and 790 gallons for the Silverado. (In reality, I think the 20 MPG on the Colorado is achievable, I would guess you are looking at more like 17-18 MPG in similar driving for the Silverado. Still only talking a few hundred dollars difference. ) ((((Never, ever, just buy a new vehicle to save a little bit of fuel costs. Unless you are cutting your fuel usage in half, you are wasted your time. And if you were driving a 25 MPG vehicle to start with, then even at 50 MPG it was probably a waste of time.))))

3. Driving, parking, etc. are an obstacle. Sure, you can get used to it. But I parallel park at least once per week, sometimes more, I fight traffic every day. Highway traffic, no big deal; city traffic is a pain. Not to be sexists, but my wife basically told me if I got a full size truck, she would never drive it. She has driven FS trucks of old, delivery vans for the flower shop she owned, etc. She said no way. A lot of places these days are designing their parking lots & garages for smaller vehicles.

4. Towing: The MS can tow, but if you are towing larger trailers regularly, the FS is going to do it better typically.

No one here can answer the question for you. I probably look at it in a reverse mode: If the FS truck had worked for me, that is what I would be driving.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I had a 2016 Silverado Double Cab V6 LD lease for 2 years that I traded for my 2017 Colorado ZR2. The Silverado was a REALLY nice truck, and I enjoyed it quite a bit from a comfort and utility standpoint. But if you spend any time driving in city environments, the fullsizer gets old FAST. Parking garages, parallel parking, tight areas, it was pretty stressful for me. I was glad to trade into my Colorado. Other than gas mileage being worse (The Silverado V6 got great gas mileage for the size, and my ZR2 does...not haha), the Colorado is so much easier to drive day to day. I love it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I never considered the FS but I got to drive a brand new Silverado 1500 while getting accessories added to my Colorado. Granted it was not a Z71 like my twin but the FS driving and handling were so much worse. If you like the way your current SUV handles, you?re going to like the twin much better. Interior comfort was about the same. Full sized trucks are marketed as daily drivers but, at the end of the day, they still show their true lineage as work vehicles. If you have a purpose for it you need it. Otherwise, you will be much happier with the twin.

·
Registered
2019 GMC Canyon All Terrain
2,023 Posts
I went from a full size to a twin. And I don't regret it. I find the Colorado just as capable compared to my Sierra. And it's more enjoyable to drive, gets better mileage, and easier to park.

When I need a little extra hauling ability, I rent a small trailer and its perfect. But for 90% of my hauling needs the Colorado has been satisfactory.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
This is the deal. You state you love the 4 runner. Ok with that said the twins are basically the same size and handle about the same with a bed. They have better power and add a Helwig rear sway bar they will handle better.

The full size is a great truck but if you don't need it there is a lot of baggage to get in the way like already stated the size, MPG, cost etc.

You just need to do your home work and go out and drive them all and make your own choice. You are paying the money so who are we to tell you what to do?

But based on your own comments it is clear which one you may end up with and be happiest with.

But do the home work. We too often see people on the forums where they go and buy and never really know what they are buying before it is too late. I just saw a story on how little many drive a vehicle if at all before they buy.

You can not rely on most sales people as so many have no clue on what they are selling.

Go out and find a dealer that will give you some real wheel time and drive it where you normally go. That will tell you what you want and need.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I went with the mid size canyon in diesel for the following reasons:

1. I need to daily drive it 50+ miles a day and anything not approaching 30mpg for that task is silly.

2. It has the grunt to tow whatever I need.

3. It's the size a full size truck should be. Modern vehicles in general have gotten stupidly large.

4. It supports the midsize market. We need more options in the towing-capable midsize market. We aren't going to get that if people buy full size.

5. It's more unique. It's common to see Sierras and Silverados. It's the same with Corvettes. People buy them and try to make them distinct, but they have just another Corvette. I'll take a Lotus or Alpha.

This was my reasoning and I'm not regretting my purchase at all.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I drove a Silverado CC 5.3L for years and it was a very comfortable truck. When my kids were younger it came in handy for moving them around the country. Now that I have a 2017 Colorado Z71 CC 3.6L, the difference between the two trucks is night and day. Colorado is much quicker, easier to park and corners like its on rails. Can't haul as much with the Colorado's bed, but the towing capabilities are the same. Guess it comes down to where you are in life and what you'll be doing in the future.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I absolutely love my twin. It is so much easier to park than my '04 2500HD was.
That being said, you could get yourself a trailer for occasional use and keep your 4Runner. My uncle has gone this route for years and it's worked out well for him and lots of us family members that get to borrow the trailer lol

His trailer is just like this:

Detail K21639 lb. Payload Capacity 4.5 ft. x 7.5 ft. Utility Trailer with Bed Tilt and Collapsing Ends to Extend Bed to 12 ft.
https://homedepot.app.link/soxyPu3s6G
SKU# 206586893

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I can attest to the utility of a trailer. They aren't a truck but they can get the job done. I bought a trailer when we got our house 18 years ago. It has served me well. I'm not a truck owner yet, but my next vehicle is going to be a Colorado. That said I'm still keeping the trailer. Sometimes it can still be nicer than a truck bed. I can spend days filling it with yard waste and then hook it up and haul it to the landfill when it's full. In those cases my truck bed would be full of crap for days.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Trailers are great till you get a flat or bad wheel bearing from them sitting. Just think about how many trailers are often seen sitting on the side of the road. I see it often as they seldom have a spare and often the bearings are seldom serviced.

They are great if you use them often but sitting can create issue. Then there is the cost to purchase and then plates. Just something to consider.

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
Trailers are great till you get a flat or bad wheel bearing from them sitting. Just think about how many trailers are often seen sitting on the side of the road. I see it often as they seldom have a spare and often the bearings are seldom serviced.

They are great if you use them often but sitting can create issue. Then there is the cost to purchase and then plates. Just something to consider.
I always store my popup camper with the levers raised to keep the wheels off the ground, and it is in a garage.

That said, I agree that trailers can be a lot of work. I used to borrow a trailer from a men's group I belonged to at Church. Never borrowed it where I didn't spend at least 30 minutes repairing the wiring for the lights, replacing lights, etc. I finally purchased some magnetic trailer lights from Harbor Freight I could just slap on the trailer when I borrowed it.

If I had a place to store it, a light duty utility trailer would be in my stable. (I guess the lack of the stable is why I don't have the trailer.)

Reactions: CO_Texan

·
Registered
45 Posts
I went from owning 3 different Silverado crew cab long bed 4x4's and bought a crew cab long bed 4x4 Colorado. Haven't looked back. If there is one thing I miss a little is the massive 8 foot bed on the full size but not enough to make me think I made the wrong choice. You just have to prioritize what's important to you. The full size crew cab long beds where a pain in the ass to park and maneuver around in tight spots. The colly is like a smart car to me. I buzz it around like nobody's business. No more 3 or 4 point u-turns or always having to back into tight spots. That I don't miss.

·
Registered
119 Posts

Sure they have their downsides too. Just pointing out that having one is the reason I didn't need a truck for many years. I joined this forum recently because I decided I just really WANT one. I'll keep the trailer though because there are times I'd still rather fill it than the truck bed.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I owned a 2007 base Colorado Ext-Cab. It had "0" creature comforts. Heck, with vinyl floors and hand crank windows I had less concern over electrical problems or worrying about needing WeatherTech mats. I didn't need to open the windows to experience the road noise either. For those of us that had an older Colorado and getting a 2015 or newer was like night and day. I drove a Silverado and got lost in it. I found the new Colorado to meet all my needs.

Gusto!

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Sure they have their downsides too. Just pointing out that having one is the reason I didn't need a truck for many years. I joined this forum recently because I decided I just really WANT one. I'll keep the trailer though because there are times I'd still rather fill it than the truck bed.
You posted the legitimate positives I just posted some negatives that need to be considered. Nothing wrong with presenting both sides to be informed.

These are not criticisms but they are all things to consider.

Things like storage when not in use really can be a problem for many and some never think about it till they get home.

In my case my trailer is my father in laws. I get the best of both worlds and he uses it enough that it has been trouble free.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I drove a Silverado CC 5.3L for years and it was a very comfortable truck. When my kids were younger it came in handy for moving them around the country. Now that I have a 2017 Colorado Z71 CC 3.6L, the difference between the two trucks is night and day. Colorado is much quicker, easier to park and corners like its on rails. Can't haul as much with the Colorado's bed, but the towing capabilities are the same. Guess it comes down to where you are in life and what you'll be doing in the future.
I came from driving and Subaru WRX which was modded of course. I've driven many colorado's in various configurations. I ultimately went with the ZR2 which handles better than my subaru on pretty much everything but super tight corners, even then its a close second. I've had it for a few weeks now and don't regret the choice at all. I'd say don't buy the ZR2 version if you don't plan on off roading, it's overkill; but if you do it's perfect, way more capable than a stock taco/4runner and even more capable than most lifted/modded taco/4runner's.

Back to the LT/Z71 versions....They handle great, the truck is easy to park, the turning radius is even superb for a truck. The comfort as a driver is fantastic and the seats in back have more than sufficient leg room; for reference I am 5'8" and have about 4-5 inches from the driver seat in my position. Overall the interior is quiet, and that is my point of view as a ZR2 owner, so a Z71 or LT should be quieter. Either way you will be happy no matter the choice! GL

·
Registered
193 Posts
After 5K miles, our ZR2 diesel CC still feels BIG compared with the previous 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD. The ZR2 has far better handling both on and off road; much better ride; more comfortable seats; gets about the same mileage, and is faster accelerating. (The twins are limited to just under 100 mph; the Jeep would go 110+mph).

I wish the twins were a little smaller, especially eye to windshield distance and eye to front bumper distance. The front bumper is about three feet further from my eyes than it was on the Jeep. On the flip side, the engine compartment looks almost empty on our ZR2, where as it was full on the Liberty - with the same basic engine.

Trailer option - rent one when you need it if it is a rarity. Less than $20- plus tax per day for a middle size.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Consider a crew cab twin with a long bed, or if you get the access cab, you automatically get one. It can carry almost as much "stuff" as a FS truck, and is still reasonably easy to park as it is a lot narrower.

Adding the LB to a crew cab twin does make for a lengthy truck - did not really fully appreciate that until I parked next to a friend's Tundra with an access cab, my truck was just a few inches shorter - but the lower stance and far narrower track make it drive like an SUV - my buddy said my truck reminded him of his Honda Pilot, one with a lot more torque (my truck is a diesel).

The twins are quite configurable with cab and bed options. I love my Canyon CCLB - it is the "perfect" size for me :smile:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Consider a crew cab twin with a long bed, or if you get the access cab, you automatically get one. It can carry almost as much "stuff" as a FS truck, and is still reasonably easy to park as it is a lot narrower
G]

Agreed... My previous vehicle was a ford excursion.
I have a 2017 v-6 CCLB. Z-71 4wd. I?ve had it a little over a month. I?ve already hauled stuff that wouldn?t have fit in a small box. So, it was the right choice for me. The midsize drives sooo much better and easier than the full size. Especially in the city. If you need a full size vehicle, then get it. I had one for 12 years. But you might be surprised how big the LB CC is. But is still easy to manage. We still have 7000 lbs of towing. That?s more than most of us will need. Do your research and test drive them. Good luck !!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.