Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I just changed my fuel pump by removing the bed of my 2006 chevy colorado. Both connectors were rusted out and it was vomitting fuel all over the driveway. The gauge was reading correctly on the old pump but the new pump after installation (with about 1/4 tank of gas) is reading now just over half on the gauge and it is indicating LOW FUEL in the cluster. The new pump came with the level bar fixed in position and I adjusted it over the first little nub. What would be the first thing to check? After installation the gauge was at empty and has risen during idle to over half a tank.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I took the pump back out, disconnected the battery and now it auto reads half a tank and when I turn on the ignition it read empty on the needle.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Hi everyone,

I just changed my fuel pump by removing the bed of my 2006 chevy colorado. Both connectors were rusted out and it was vomitting fuel all over the driveway. The gauge was reading correctly on the old pump but the new pump after installation (with about 1/4 tank of gas) is reading now just over half on the gauge and it is indicating LOW FUEL in the cluster. The new pump came with the level bar fixed in position and I adjusted it over the first little nub. What would be the first thing to check? After installation the gauge was at empty and has risen during idle to over half a tank.
I'm not sure what you mean there but you adjusted the level sender? Maybe it's off?? Double check your connections too. Also, you could compare the old with the new as far as the level sensor goes, it's possible you got a bad one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure what you mean there but you adjusted the level sender? Maybe it's off?? Double check your connections too. Also, you could compare the old with the new as far as the level sensor goes, it's possible you got a bad one.
I removed it again and put the old sender on the new pump. It begins at the correct level but over time and particularly when I Rev the engine it travels the needle up to half from a quarter. The low fuel on the digital display no longer shows with this old sender. Is there a position the sender arm could be in that isn't rested in the right spot of the tank? Does the pump sit into a particular place (it appears spring loaded)?

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
I removed it again and put the old sender on the new pump. It begins at the correct level but over time and particularly when I Rev the engine it travels the needle up to half from a quarter. The low fuel on the digital display no longer shows with this old sender. Is there a position the sender arm could be in that isn't rested in the right spot of the tank? Does the pump sit into a particular place (it appears spring loaded)?
Yes I remember doing some chevy pumps that were like that, spring loaded. Is it possible you got it turned wrong in the tank? It should have some kind of slot for alignment though. But yes, maybe it's hitting inside.
Anyway, it going up slowly would be normal because it has sort of buffer so the needle won't bounce. Try playing with it not in the tank and see if it seems to act correctly. If so then maybe something is wrong with the way it's in the tank, the lever hitting something.
Also, a good connection and ground will be critical for the fuel level sensor, double check your connections and connectors. Usually a bad connection (high ohms) will cause the gauge to go up, I'm not positive on that truck though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts