Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for obvious reasons im not talking about a colorado here since in off topic but.... So I have to change out the injectors on my dad's truck, an 04 Silverado 3500 6.6L Duramax second gen...The truck has a total of about 503,000 miles on it now. 2 injectors are going bad, and causing it to fail smog, and EVERYone ive talked to from shop techs to my diesel instructor all say replace the 8. My questions for anyone who knows this, what brand of injectors does it use? I would think ACDelco, but i cant find them, or Bosch, or Delphi.. hell I can get Duralast injectors from work, but i dont really like the idea of using my store brand...... any Idea what brand I should go to or to stay away from?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so thats acdelco's part number.... are all the brands i see that are around $200-400 reman versions? I know new one are suuuper expensive (I want those but the cost for 8 ugh)

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
If you got half a million miles out of the OEM ones then Id definitely pay for the exact same ones. If it took going back to the stealership for them, so be it. Saving a few bucks seems pretty foolish for that kind of quality.

But on a different note, congrats on your Dad for getting that kind of mileage out of his truck.

And lastly, I'll chime in as well...... if all 8 are the same age then you really should do them all. :grin2:

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know... half a million... everyone ive talked to all are amazed at the miles on the truck... it runs from Petaluma to just south of San Fransisco every day for the last 13 years, about 90-115 miles a day + or - a few longer trips... a few things have gone out... 2 starters, 2 injectors (at about 300k mi) 2 times both thermostats failed (150k and again 500k for the second time)... about 16 brake changes/replacements or so... I know the glow plug controller died at about 450k god knows how many times the oil has been changed oh and the power steering and brakes failed 2 times.... IN San Francisco. Try to turn or stop a truck in a very mountains place with lots or people and cars when you weigh about 10000lbs empty when both brakes and steering fail... but nothing super major has failed... this proves that with proper maintenance a diesel doesn't die (usually). My dad likes to keep only OE parts on the truck. especially now that at 500k+. Dad does like this truck....

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Damn......how many miles has he driven in his lifetime. Seems like a gazillion !!!!

And, for the repairs you state that have been done, I find that to be low compared to his mileage........ he DEFINITELY got his moneys worth out of that thing.

God bless him and his next gazillion miles. :smile2:0:)

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
fun fact, the steering wheel has worn down where he's had his thumb... its down by like 1/8-to-1/4 of an inch where his thumb was... Oh i guess hes had 2 OEM radios and 4 aftermarket ones...... he's definitely has gotten his money's worth by now....

The reason why he didnt buy a new truck by now, is that all the later trucks didnt have what he wanted. the cab doesnt have as good folding seats in the new trucks, and the cargo boxes he would need dont quite have enough room for all the tools he carries... or the layout isnt as good over all... hell he knows that the modern engine/trans in those new ones are amazing at 500ish HP and 900lbs/ft torque, and way better overall MPGs but at $80-90k for it... thats too much... (he woud go for the top trims like the LTZ or High Country) i think it was $45-55k when he bought it in 2005... top spec in all categories for all the frills... (except fog lights... dunno why it didnt come with it) I guess it would be an LTZ trim if it was bought today....

·
Registered
351 Posts
One other option is to remove all 8 Factory ones and have them remanufactured . or just send off the 2 bad ones and when others fail just send them off as they fail . Yes all around $200-400 are reman Brand New Ones i say are close to $800-$1000 ea
the OEM # is 97729095
Here OEM reman $175
https://thedieselstore.com/standard-reman-common-rail-diesel-fuel-injector-for-2001-2004-6-6l-lb7-duramax.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwnKHlBRDLARIsAMtMHDHPZun76S-vN7JTXvzlrDnZFkVle9IkOcjNgIQ8PQBg7GMQ0eRC_6waAkPfEALw_wcB

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how good are reman injectors? I know I sell many reman alternators and starters at work, but those are simple in comparison.....

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wait a sec, so the engine I have, the 6.6, it is an LLY duramax, the ones im seeing are for the LB7 motor....... are those part numbers the same for that as well?

·
Registered
351 Posts
how good are reman injectors? I know I sell many reman alternators and starters at work, but those are simple in comparison.....
i have not replaced many diesel injectors but i think as long as you got ACDelco or Bosch Reman or the OEM reman from a company that known for there Quality remans I think you be ok I find some of the diesel website and ask those guys who has good reman injectors .

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
vin 2

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
man are injectors expensive....................most of all, i hate core charges... I know they are needed to get the parts back, but ugh...........

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
heh, no kidding

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
hahaha.. so ive asked about the injectors, well it turns out i don't need them now... the smog guy that claimed they were bad, is full oshiiit. I got curious and asked one of my commercial customers at work (he is a licensed smog tech) told him what the "smog" guy did when he tested the truck, a smoke test, and asked what was it. he told me if no smoke after 3 revs over 2.5k with in a few seconds it passes that test. the other "smog" guy claimed he saw smoke. i did that test with my father, and well.. no smoke... hrmm..... im sensing bs here so... told my dad to go to the state referee.. he went there the other day, paid 8 bucks.. and PASSED the smog test. 503k miles on the odo, and the same cats and o2 sensors from 04, and it still passes flying colors... turns out, I dont need to do anything now Hahaha...(well replace the starter but whos counting)
that other smog guy wanted to do the repair work im betting well noooope.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts