Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Frustration with my new 17 GMC Canyon All Terrain

New truck, just picked it up and had certain basic expectations... Here goes my rant of nonsensical decisions on the part of GM.

So why is there no LED Day time running lights as indicated on the Windows Sticker, no Off Road DIC like in the ZR2 and most irritating of all, the top of the line 8" Infotainment with Bose and Nav has got all the bells and whistles, costs a gazillion dollars but cant access the best SiriusXM stations which are in the 300 range?? Road Trip Radio and Yacht Rock are some of my favorites but I cant get to them. What's worse is I pay the same amount for the service as I do on my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee which gets all the stations and get less with the nearly $45000 truck! What gives?

BTW the solution I am told is to steam it from my phone?? That's an additional cost service and complete BS..

What is happening!!!???!!! This is an alternate universe or is there something I'm missing here?

Rant over.. I otherwise love my truck!

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
New truck, just picked it up and had certain basic expectations... Here goes my rant of nonsensical decisions on the part of GM. So why is there no LED Day time running lights as indicated on the Windows Sticker, no Off Road DIC like in the ZR2 and most irritating of all, the top of the line 8" Infotainment with Bose and Nav has got all the bells and whistles, costs a gazillion dollars but cant access the best SiriusXM stations which are in the 300 range?? Road Trip Radio and Yacht Rock are some of my favorites but I cant get to them. What's worse is I pay the same amount for the service as I do on my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee which gets all the stations and get less with the nearly $45000 truck! What gives? BTW the solution I am told is to steam it from my phone?? That's an additional cost service and complete BS.. What is happening!!!???!!! This is an alternate universe or is there something I'm missing here? Rant over.. I otherwise love my truck!
Some XM channels are special seasonal channels. Yacht Rock is one and ended some weeks ago. Don't think it is still on your Jeep. As far as the rest of the XM channels, you may have opted for a lower featured subscription. Register online at XM/Sirius and see what package you have. Family Select is a lower featured package which is what we have. Never pay full price for XM. .. call and cancel and ask for the exact package you want when they offer you a deal. . . and cancel if you can't get a 6 month or 1 year discount. I paid $64 for a double 6 month deal on Family Select. You should get similar discount for other packages. AS far as the rest of the features. . you bought and All Terrain not a ZR2. . . very different.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I wish they would just ship vehicles out with an empty double din slot. So silly to pay so much for something that is just going to be obsolete in 4 years and make your vehicle look dated. But hey I know people who buy houses for the appliances too I guess.

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
How much time did you spend with the truck before you bought it?

I just read a story on how little time people spend with a vehicle and how short their test drives are even if they take one.

Any of the beefs were there when you bought it so why the complaints?

I believe the LED lights up front come on when you put it in gear.

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
PHP:
I wish they would just ship vehicles out with an empty double din slot. So silly to pay so much for something that is just going to be obsolete in 4 years and make your vehicle look dated. But hey I know people who buy houses for the appliances too I guess.
If you hate it that much take it out and e bay it. They sell fast.

No matter what you put in it will be dated 5 years from now with the speed electronics are advancing. That is what all vehicles face.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Some XM channels are special seasonal channels. Yacht Rock is one and ended some weeks ago. Don't think it is still on your Jeep. As far as the rest of the XM channels, you may have opted for a lower featured subscription. Register online at XM/Sirius and see what package you have. Family Select is a lower featured package which is what we have. Never pay full price for XM. .. call and cancel and ask for the exact package you want when they offer you a deal. . . and cancel if you can't get a 6 month or 1 year discount. I paid $64 for a double 6 month deal on Family Select. You should get similar discount for other packages. AS far as the rest of the features. . you bought and All Terrain not a ZR2. . . very different.
Yeah, its still there on 311. Not seasonal. Its just confusion after the merge of XM and Sirius as well as other things I'm sure. Just cant believe that a new vehicle has these limitations still.
This is a quote from their website

"Take a look at your radio ID. If it has 12 characters, it's a Sirius radio.
If it has only 8, it's likely an XM radio.
Please note, select new radios with 8 character Radio IDs are
SiriusXM radios. SiriusXM radios have limited availability
at this time.
• Lynx
• Edge
• SXV200

Select 2013 models:
• Ram 1500–5500
• Dodge Viper

Select 2014 models:
• Jeep Grand Cherokee"

And I understand there are deals to be had, but you pay the same amout whether your radio can receive the channels or not. This is not a package or a discount. Its the fact that the vehicle cant get the channels. They offered Yacht Rock and a couple others on the lower channels for a bit as a tease but that ended as you commented. I do recognize I bought a All Terrain and not a ZR2. This DIC is something that is offered on other GM products though, even the lower end of the product line in the Sierras and such. I didn't buy a Canyon because I couldn't afford a Sierra. Seems to me that not treating this product like a second class citizen because we didn't go full size would make its owners happier, especially at this price point. This isn't a suspension package, armor or locking diffs I'm referring to, its a firmware flash enabling access to monitoring functions and status of your vehicle which its completely capable of doing. I find it a bit frustrating is all. if it doesn't bug ya that's cool too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How much time did you spend with the truck before you bought it?

I just read a story on how little time people spend with a vehicle and how short their test drives are even if they take one.

Any of the beefs were there when you bought it so why the complaints?

I believe the LED lights up front come on when you put it in gear.
Who surfs all the channels, looks to see what lights are on or even notices a DIC screen not there when its even on the low end Sierra/Silverado? It was an ordered truck, not an off the line vehicle, but I did spend about an hour with it before the paperwork was signed.
LED lights only come on with parking lights or with the headlamps on. Otherwise you get the projectors as day time running lamps. Is what it is

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PHP:
If you hate it that much take it out and e bay it. They sell fast.

No matter what you put in it will be dated 5 years from now with the speed electronics are advancing. That is what all vehicles face.
I don't hate it, its just frustrating. In this day and age its usually a legal thing like licensing or something.. Not a technical issue, just a decision to save a buck I believe. MAYBE the LED issue is a legality in Canada or something where they are the law? I dunno, I just think the longer life of an LED makes it an obvious go to for this function rather than the projector beam

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Who surfs all the channels, looks to see what lights are on or even notices a DIC screen not there when its even on the low end Sierra/Silverado? It was an ordered truck, not an off the line vehicle, but I did spend about an hour with it before the paperwork was signed.
LED lights only come on with parking lights or with the headlamps on. Otherwise you get the projectors as day time running lamps. Is what it is
To be fair on the radio most are not turned on for Sat on the lot.

But when I am spending this kind of money I spend more than an hour with a vehicle. I will drive a number of them and read and follow many reviews. Buying is something for me that can take months

That does not even count the time I spend on how much I should pay research. This takes me months to buy generally unless I find an obvious deal.

Please I am not being critical just to you but just an general observation on how little time many peop,e spend on buying a new vehicle then come to forums to complain about things that were there or not there from the start.

Vehicles for many turn into a emotional purchase and it ends up too often like a bad marriage.

There are thing I like and don’t like on mine too but I am not going to complain as I accepted them from the start.

My disappointment is the bolstering on the seats but I knew what they were like so I will not complain.

I hope you enjoy the rest and have good luck with the new ride.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Wow. First world problems. Satellite radio sucks anyway, the sound quality is horrible. If you want led runnning lights just press the foglight button or turn on the parking lights.

So buy another Jeep. My last new Jeep, JKU Rubicon, was in the shop 19 times in less than a year. Never again. I love my 2017 All Terrain.

Edit: I’m not trying to be a jerk, I’ve owned a lot of vehicles and they all have their pluses and minuses. The off-road display would be cool, but the other stuff is easily addressed. Seriously, once you move away from satellite radio you will see how bad it really is. Create some channels on pandora or Spotify and enjoy the vastly superior sound quality. Also, they make a harness to do exactly what you want with your LED lights. I just turn on the parking lights.

·
Registered
754 Posts
There is an informative and lengthy thread on LED DRL that was started right after the 2nd gen Twins were introduced. Use the search function.
GM promised and advertised but didn't deliver. Misrepresentation.

The hassles of dealing with Sirius XM are legendary. Another series of threads on the topic are posted on this forum.
Their business model must have been formulated in Sicily. Capisce?

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
While I can see some complaints on certain things, I find it hard to feel any pity for a buyer who fails to investigate what you are buying.

The whole projector/LED/etc. lights is not a critical point with me: Do the lights work and can I see what is in front of me? Yup. (Caveat - I think the Canyon lights may be better than the Colorado.)

Satellite radio? I wouldn't pay extra for it, so not an issue for me. I hate subscriptions, etc. This luddite doesn't like the fact that the software companies are driving toward forcing us to subscribe to their software so they have an ongoing cash flow rather than buying software when we need to upgrade. I ran 2003 Quicken until 2013, did everything I needed. I ran 2009 Quickbooks until 2014, and only upgraded because my accountant refused to do my books with 2009. I still think the AmiPro word processor software I had back in the early 90s was better than current Word.

Oh, and if you paid $45K for a 2017 All Terrain, you paid too much.>:)

·
Registered
380 Posts
People usually list msrp as what they “paid.” Might have been rounding up because my well equipped 2017 All Terrain gasser msrp was $39k and some change. The diesel doesn’t add $5k more to it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
People usually list msrp as what they “paid.” Might have been rounding up because my well equipped 2017 All Terrain gasser msrp was $39k and some change. The diesel doesn’t add $5k more to it.
You're correct in that the diesel doesn't add the extra $5k, and also correct in that it's MSRP I'm referring to. I am a GM Family first recipient so no, I didn't pay that. But that's right about the price they are asking, and it's a lot no matter how you shake it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The critical point is the life span of LED is quite a bit more than a bulb in most cases and if they need to be on during driving then why not have the one that it impacts life span the least not to mention IMO looks better?

Don't get me started on subscription based software. I do tech for a living and deal with this on a daily basis. However, this satellite radio matter, while not a "need" certainly is a niggling inconvenience. I drive twice a week from Central Cal to So Cal, dropping cell service and radio stations all along the way. This drive is between 5 and 7 hrs so the continuity of service is important to me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There is an informative and lengthy thread on LED DRL that was started right after the 2nd gen Twins were introduced. Use the search function.
GM promised and advertised but didn't deliver. Misrepresentation.

The hassles of dealing with Sirius XM are legendary. Another series of threads on the topic are posted on this forum.
Their business model must have been formulated in Sicily. Capisce?
Hopefully I can locate that previously mentioned wire harness. Sirius/XM customer support is a joke for certain

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow. First world problems. Satellite radio sucks anyway, the sound quality is horrible. If you want led runnning lights just press the foglight button or turn on the parking lights.

So buy another Jeep. My last new Jeep, JKU Rubicon, was in the shop 19 times in less than a year. Never again. I love my 2017 All Terrain.

Edit: I’m not trying to be a jerk, I’ve owned a lot of vehicles and they all have their pluses and minuses. The off-road display would be cool, but the other stuff is easily addressed. Seriously, once you move away from satellite radio you will see how bad it really is. Create some channels on pandora or Spotify and enjoy the vastly superior sound quality. Also, they make a harness to do exactly what you want with your LED lights. I just turn on the parking lights.
Tell me who "they" are that build a harness for the LED and I will buy today.

First world problems indeed! I use satellite due to my travels not "just because" so there aren't many viable options aside from carrying CDs or music digitally. I often lose cell service though I carry 2 different cell phones from 2 different carriers. Streaming isn't a viable option. Though most times I'm listening to news so sound quality isn't really an issue, the reality of my annoyance is that they don't cover all the channels offered.

I've had very few issues with the Grand Cherokee, sorry your Jeep experience wasn't as good. The Jeep/Ram/Dodge doesn't fit my need since the Dakota ceased. Full size is too big for the terrains I travel and too much fuel consumption for my driving distances. And seriously I'm not hearing great fpthings about that Eco Diesel.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Tell me who "they" are that build a harness for the LED and I will buy today.

First world problems indeed! I use satellite due to my travels not "just because" so there aren't many viable options aside from carrying CDs or music digitally. I often lose cell service though I carry 2 different cell phones from 2 different carriers. Streaming isn't a viable option. Though most times I'm listening to news so sound quality isn't really an issue, the reality of my annoyance is that they don't cover all the channels offered.

I've had very few issues with the Grand Cherokee, sorry your Jeep experience wasn't as good. The Jeep/Ram/Dodge doesn't fit my need since the Dakota ceased. Full size is too big for the terrains I travel and too much fuel consumption for my driving distances. And seriously I'm not hearing great fpthings about that Eco Diesel.
Would you carry CD's to use as coasters for your drinks? They aren't going to be very useful in this truck... :wink2:
Just toss your music on a large jump drive. No monthly fees, no worries about reception, etc. It's just easier that way.
If you REALLY want those channels, you can see if SiriusXM will send you a radio kit (for free because you are so mad you can't access these channels) that you can plug into your AUX port. Yes, it is stupid to have an external Sirius Radio, but that's what it takes to get your channels, right? You can also upgrade the In-Dash radio for an aftermarket, but there's a lot more to it than just a wiring harness and bezel like it used to be in the olden days of car audio.

The harness is made by Gen5Diy, google that and you'll see their site. It's kind of expensive for what you get though. I have LED bulbs in my projectors, and they work better than the halogen bulbs, with a good cut-off line, and were much less expensive than the gen5diy harness. They will probably last longer than I plan to have the truck. The LED strips are very weak, and I wouldn't want them to be my DRL lights.

I agree that the DIC screen should be in the All Terrain and Z71 trucks, but GM doesn't care yet. It's a simple software update, but they would need to spend the money to pay someone to program and test the update. It's not a safety issue, so it probably won't happen any time soon.

You need to spend more than an hour looking at a new vehicle. I research for months before, then when I actually test drive, I try to drive a couple different examples to see if there are differences between them. If there's a feature high on your list, test it out, multiple times.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Yeah, its still there on 311. Not seasonal. Its just confusion after the merge of XM and Sirius as well as other things I'm sure. Just cant believe that a new vehicle has these limitations still.

Like I said. . you need to sign onto the Sirius/XM website and look at your account and see which XM package They set you up for.

I just checked channels 300 to 316(?) and Yacht Rock and the others are there on our 2017 Chevy Sonic RS. But the 300's are NOT on our 2017 Colorado LT because we have a reduced channels lower cost package.
Y'all aren't going to get channels that you are not subscribed to. . . :cool:

I would call XM and find out why you don't have them.I am guessing it;s because you are on a lower free trial subscription.

Reactions: bphillman
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.